1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Sony FQ70

Discussion in 'Televisions' started by MarcusH, May 6, 2003.

1. MarcusH

MarcusH

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Can anyone please tell me if they've got a Sony FQ70.

What is your overall impression of the TV, whats the picture quality like for DVD.

If I watch a 2.35:1 aspect ratio DVD, is there a viewing mode to get the picture to fill the screen, or will I still suffer the black bars?

Hope you can help.

2. PaulJ

PaulJ

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi There,

I have the FQ70, got it about 2 weeks ago to replace philips 9527 with dark bars!

The picture is very good and clear through all sources and produces a consistently good picture across all cable channels.

The DVD picture is excellent, clean, crisp pictures with no artifacting or trails. I have the dvd set up on s-video due to having davs-550, so RGB may be an improvement on that.

I find that the picture is not as detailed as on the 9527, obviously due to the extra processing (pixel plus). Although at times the picture was processed too much and made it look artificial, also had the halo effect and left trails on things like football. The Sony is a lot more natural looking. (Lot better looking set as well, IMO).

There is a zoom mode to make the picture fill the screen as well, which doesnt seem to affect the picture quality.

Overall I am very happy with the set.

What tv do you have at the moment? Do you have surround sound?

Regards

Paul :smashin:

3. MarcusH

MarcusH

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks Paul

This is my first widescreen purchase. With the FQ70, is there any way of turning off the 100Hz Digital Plus in the menu system.

Does the picture suffer from any moire effects, graining etc.

Any advice would be very much appreciated.

Thanks

4. bob mushroom

bob mushroom

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +20
    only picture quality loss is due to low bitrate streaming from digital channel providers!! Otherwise perfect picture and a great leap from the fx66 set (had one of these prior)

I would endorse everything that PaulJ says only word of warning is the buzz - I went through 4 sets before getting one that didn't.

IMO the picture is of a higher quality than Phillips as the "pixel plus" is never on anyone's set due to artificial looks.

5. PaulJ

PaulJ

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Glad you've got a set that doesn't buzz bob. On that point, mine does buzz when first switched on but disappears after a few seconds, thankfully. :clap:

There is no moire effect/graining or any sort of picture problem I can see. In fact the more i watch the better is seems to be???

As far as I'm aware the 100hz digital plus cannot be switched off, but I can't see why you would need to switch it off.

The sound is ok, not very meaty, but the virtual dolby does sound quite good and surround like. I have the tv hooked up to the davs550 which I am very impressed with.

If you have any more questions, feel free to ask.

Regards

Paul
    Happy FQ70 owner :zonked: :zonked: :zonked: :boring: :boring:

6. Teessider

Teessider
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I got my Sony FQ70 last Tuesday from JL and am generally happy with it, apart from a couple of queries...

The geometry is a bit out on the bottom, curves down towards the corners, but not too bad.

By far the worst (and I wondered if it was just me) a close up of a face can be very sharp ('see the pores' sharp), but the out of focus background often appears 'blotchy'. That is, static images seem to be dappled / stippled effect.

Also, on say the Simpsons, there is some pixelation adjacent to the sharp lines.

Is this just me or have I got a problem?

7. Alan D

Alan D

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Try some adjustment of your Picture settings - it can make a world of difference. Make sure you have selected "Personal" as the picture mode - then set contrast, brightness, colour and sharpness to halfway and use this as a starting point (which you can then refine - e.g. on my set I have brightness slightly higher than contrast, with colour and sharpness slightly less ) - and should give you a more natural picture. If you can't adjust sharpness - you need to switch to an analogue channel - then adjust sharpness and then go back to Sat or DVD [assuming you are watching them via RGB]. If you have Monsters Inc on DVD [or any other disc that has the "THX optimizer" on it] you can do a detailed picture setup, which is excellent - although it may make you worry about the geometry [it is quite a revealing test!].

For reference I have the Sony FX66 - but the adjustments are pretty much the same.

8. Teessider

Teessider
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks Alan,

That thas improved the contrast/colour, but I still have the out focus background often appears stippled.

How have other FQ70 owners fared?

9. ste1010

ste1010

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +13
    I received my FQ70 on Tuesday to replace my FX66.

I have to say the set looks superb, the picture seems better than the FX66. I can concurr with the previous post that pictures problems are down to limited bandwidth on Satelite. I watched the AC - Inter game on Tuesday and flicked between RF ITV and Sky ITV and I could not believe how bad the sky picture was. It looked like all the players were wearing wooly jumbers. The RF picture was near perfect.

The downside is the buzz. It is scan coils and is noticeable watching any programs with periods of silence in them.

I had a chat with a Sales manager at JL yesterday and he said he would replace the set. I am away on business until the weekend now so will speak to him again on Monday.

Bob M - Was your buzzing scan coils or power supply and how bad was it. The sets I have seen in JL ans Sony centres have absolutely no buzzing even with my ear to the back of the set. Mine is audible from 2m in front of the set. Is yours totally biuzz free, or just down to an acceptable level

10. PaulJ

PaulJ

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi Ste1010,

I have the FQ70 as well, you can hear the buzzing from 2m-3m only when volume is low, this is only when you have just switched the tv on though.

Once it has been on for a couple of minutes and warmed up there is no buzzing at all, or only slight buzzing if you put your ear against the back of the telly.

Regards

Paul

11. Christ

Christ

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +18
    We've had an FQ70 for around a month now, and can definately recommend it, it was Sony's last chance after 2 returned FX66's.. The TV is a whole lot better, excellent picture, absolutely no buzzing, and its one of the few TV's that looks amazing even switched off!!

Chris

12. MarcusH

MarcusH

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks for the reply Chris.

Glad the FQ70's a good set, looking forward to finally getting one.

Do you have any geometry problems with the set, gonna buy locally and if its no good, at least i can swap it for another set.

Thanks

13. perka

perka
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    I'm looking to replace my "dark bars, white line" pixel + 36pw9527

So is the FQ 80 better in terms of PQ than FQ 70?

I don't need extra functions just PQ.

The FQ 70 is much cheaper so...

thanks

14. PaulJ

PaulJ

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi Perka,

Didn't notice you had posted here. Im very happy with my FQ70, I never actually viewed the FQ80, so cannot comment on the picture quality, although a few people on the forum have been very impressed it, I have seen a few people with problems as well though.

I presume the DRC will improve the PQ as it doubles the lines, similar to the Pixel Plus sets, I was a bit put off with the extra processing though, due to all the smearing/halo effect on my p+ set.

The FQ70 is an excellent picture IMO, maybe not quite as detailed as the P+. The picture also seems a lot more stable. Haven't had any artifacting of any kind so far.

The only slight problem I have, is a slight bend at top right of screen when watching say BBC1 and you get the black bars at top and bottom of screen, having said this it is hardly noticeable and I don't see many channels that have the black bands top and bottom, so it is not a big problem for me.

Paul

:hiya:

15. bigbites

bigbites

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Can any of you FQ70 owners tell me what the X box is like or any other games system - PS2, G Cube on the FQ70................

16. mansell

mansell

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +39
    Hi Perka , I have the FQ80 and I'm more than happy with it

The picture is fantastic , looks natural and has none of the P+ side effects . I use DRC50 mode most as this offers the highest resolution .

I also watch a lot of football , infact i watch a lot of sport and this tv excels in this area .

DVD playback is unreal !