Sony FQ70 - red shadow on white lines?!

Discussion in 'General TV Discussions Forum' started by Blenky, May 5, 2004.

1. Blenky

Blenky

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +161
    I've had a Sony FQ70 for a few months and overall I'm very pleased with it.

However I have recently noticed a strange sort of red colour smear appear at the bottom left of the screen. It is only really evident when it is a white line on a dark background.

http://homepage.ntlworld.com/steve.blencowe/tv/tv.jpg

The above is a picture of the TV in WS mode displayed a grid.

The colour bleed can be seen in the bottom left but disappears towards the top or right of the screen.

Is there anything in the service menu I can access to alter this?

Thanks.

2. Blenky

Blenky

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +161
    Added link to photo of problem!

Any ideas?

ta

3. HowieC

HowieC
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    Looks like a convergence error to me, there's no service menu adjustment for it. Sony would probably call it 'within spec' but a skilled engineer could probably improve matters. The fact is that its just about impossible to achieve perfect convergence on a large screen domestic TV, there's nearly always some slight error somewhere.

4. scrapbook

scrapbook

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +551
    is this connected the smear problems that most sony's seem to suffer from?

The fix is posted in a sticky at the top of this forum page

5. HowieC

HowieC
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    No its quite a different matter. Convergence adjustment uses ring magnets round the tube neck and sometimes small magnets attached to the tube as well. Most sets will show some convergence errors when viewing a crosshatch pattern, even if barely visible on an average picture.
    The fix in my sticky is for a very specific fault which is either faulty or fixed unlike convergence which has a lot of variables.

6. Blenky

Blenky

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +161
    Thanks HowieC!

Thats what I thought. Its not really that noticeable. Its just that when you have noticed it once your eyes get drawn back to it!

If I did want to try and get it fixed you say I would need a good engineer. Now where would I find one of those :) .

Also I suspect it would cost a bit too.

7. LV426

LV426
    Administrator Staff Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +5,845
    Just one example of why CRT TVs do not in every respect produce the absolute best picture. This is one of a range of inherent shortfalls of this technology. Perfect convergence is very expensive to achieve on a CRT and is typically done well only on really high end gear - studio monitors and the like.

For perfect convergence, stability and geometry you have to go for a flat panel. But then they all have their (different) issues, too.

8. Paul Atreides

Paul Atreides

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    My FX66 has got bad corner convergence aswell, you just have to put up with it.

It's not really noticeable when watching the TV.

9. Doctorb

Doctorb
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    Although you wont get it perfect at the sides of the screen due to the ratio of a 16:9 tv, there is an e/w adjustment pot on the crt base ( the square panel that fits on the end of the crt).
    This adjustment screw is only on sonys and a few others, its up to you if you want to remove the cabinet so be carefull, do so at you own risk.

10. HowieC

HowieC
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    You have me puzzled DoctorB, the only pot on the C Board (crt base) is the H-Stat convergence adj. This is for setting horiz. convergence at the centre of the screen. This is certainly the case for recent models.

11. Tony_Anon

Tony_Anon

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I have a similar suspected problem with convergence on the FQ70U. As you've probably read on the 'sticky' colour smear thread by HowieC, my problem is noticeable via interactive text (BBCi, SkyText). At the centre, text is crisp and sharp but as you go out towards the edge, the text becomes smeared and out of focus. I see this effect in all aspect ratios. However, I've noticed when in 'Smart' mode, people look fatter near the edges and normal in the middle! Is this because 'Smart' streches them horizontally? I wonder if this is related to convergence at all and my text smearing problem.
    What's the best way to view 4:3 programmes anyway?!
    Seems a waste to chop off sides when viewing non-16:9 programmes.

The FQ70U is a replacement for my Panasonic PB50C which had a mode called 'Just' which was perfect for all ratios. It also had a mode called 'Panasonic auto' which is equivalent to 'Smart'.
    With 'Smart' you don't get the info on the top and bottom of your screen (e.g. Sky news clock top left; Kerrang TV banner etc.)
    Pity the FQ70U doesn't have an equivalent 'Just' mode.

12. Blenky

Blenky

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +161
    It seems that the convergence is a problem with this model However its not that bad on mine.

Tony_Anon - Smart modes always seem to stretch the screen more at the edges. It was the same with my last WS TV (a Philips). I just don't bother with it. I watch 4:3 programes in 4:3 with the black bar down the sides.

13. Tony_Anon

Tony_Anon

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I guess with aspect ratios and modes like 'Smart' it's personal preference. But I find 'Smart' particularly nasty as it stretches horizontally and chops peoples heads-off!

I guess this is just a feature of 'Smart' and not a true convergence fault.

I also suspect my Sky Digibox for the text smearing. Swapping for a Freeview box should test this. If text smearing present, then it's the TV.

14. Paul Atreides

Paul Atreides

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Smart mode is a piece of crap (IMO), I never use it. What it's doing is stretching (i.e. distorting) the picture horizontally and applying a concave filter which makes it look like your viewing it through a glass cylinder. At the same time it has also stretched it vertically so your image is cropped aswell as distorted.

If you don't want distortion or picture loss you should watch the material in the ratio it was filmed in.

15. Tony_Anon

Tony_Anon

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I agree 'Smart' mode isn't really good for reasons mentioned.
    So I thought I would look at non-16:9 programmes in 4:3 last night.

I've just discovered that the stretching or blurring of interactive text makes more sense having put the aspect ratio in 4:3!

I can now see a thin white line between the left black border and the where the picture starts! A similar thin white line is also see from the right. Looking at the white line closely, you can definately see the picture under it, so I think it's a convergence fault. I also see these white lines when viewed through normal TV i.e. not through the Sky DigiBox. It must be the TV.
    It's obvious during dark scenes.

Is it convergence?

16. Paul Atreides

Paul Atreides

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    No, it's too much sharpness, turn it down and you will see the effect disappear.

A level the same as movie mode works well on my FX66.
    You can use a ruler to get it right.

Bad convergence is when the electron beams are out of alignment, meaning you will see the primary colours red, green and blue in varying amounts.

17. Tony_Anon

Tony_Anon

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi,

Thanks for your advice. I turned the sharpness down to a level similar to 'movie' mode. However, the picture is still slightly 'smooth'. I guess it's a trade off between the two!

18. Paul Atreides

Paul Atreides

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Great, I'm guessing it looks better now minus the bright edges?

Are you watching Sky through an RGB connection?

19. Tony_Anon

Tony_Anon

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi,

Yes, I'm watching Sky through RGB. The bright edge is better than before but if I turn down sharpness all the way, it does disappear but the picture is pretty smooth! Anyway, I'll have to live with it.

Thanx.

P.S. Any idea what the problem is with my other post (about the red stripes)?

Sony FQ70U + DAVSA30 Striped Banding:

http://www.avforums.com/forums/showthread.php?t=133347

20. Paul Atreides

Paul Atreides

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    If you have the sharpness the same level as movie then an RGB picture shouldn't be overly smooth, although my TV is different I think the same technique should work on yours.

The idea is to turn it down to just before it gets blurry, this is quite hard to get right even with a calibration disk. As long as your happy with it that's the most you can do.

21. Maxi_TK96

Maxi_TK96
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    When I had my KV-36HQ100 that set also suffered from exactly the same problem (red shadow near white areas). Also generally it seemed that the whites were a bit reddish. Good thing I don't have the set any more :)

22. Paul Atreides

Paul Atreides

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Convergence?