1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Sony Fontopia replacement buds

Discussion in 'Headphones, Earphones & Portable Music' started by BDCSTENG GARETH, Aug 30, 2005.

1. BDCSTENG GARETH

BDCSTENG GARETH

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +8
    WHAT... :eek: £13 for 2x replacement rubber bits!

I pay less for bits of £30K video machines!!!!!

Are there any "sensible" ways of replacing lost buds without spending half of what I payed?

EDIT:The model number is MDR-EX71

2. lukey

lukey

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    try this, get some foam earplugs from boots, the typethat goback to shape when you squeeze them. drill some holes down the middle and stick them onto the ends of the sony tips. Ive been using this method for the last six months and at £2.00 for three pairs they sound great and fit the bill

3. BDCSTENG GARETH

BDCSTENG GARETH

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +8
    Wow, what a great idea!
    How exactly do you make a hole? Drilling sounds like it would rip the things apart...

I cant believe this is so simple, and I have plugs here because I ride a big sports bike, and this is what I used the headphones for...

Nice one!

Gareth.

4. lukey

lukey

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    drilling isnt too difficult, you need to compress the plugs flat or hold steady with either pliers or something to grip but not too tight, then drill right down the centre with a thin drill bit on high speed, you might need to experiment with different bit sizes to get the right fit on the end of the buds.

then just slip them on the ends, they might need trimming a little to make them shorter but they work absolutely fine. Just remember to keep changing them every say month or so as after a while they lose their elasticity and get a bit dirty with ear wax, I would recommend the same solution for anyone with shure e2c's as well as I did the same thing when i had a pair.

When you buy the buds try and get the ones that are cylindrical in shape as they are the firmest and eastiest to drill,

5. kbfern

kbfern
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +5,950
    My sony's came with 3 sets of rubber earbuds (small medium large) I used the large and swapped the small and medium for extra sets of large with friends/family who had the same phones.

There must be others on here with the same phones,why not see if they will swop too.