1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Sony Flash MP3 Player debate

Discussion in 'Headphones, Earphones & Portable Music' started by Quinn, Jan 3, 2005.

1. Quinn

Quinn

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Asking about latest MP3 players, I want to get a portable MP3 player and
    would like some advice.... I need a good memory device that's good
    value for money, premium sound quality and good design.
    :lesson:
    There's iRiver & iPod, but as an option? - has anyone got views/know
    anything about the new flash-based Sony Walkman (NW-E99) now out?
    Anyone got one? (Any good?) – pros/cons comments please

2. kallepp

kallepp

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Having toyed with the EU market NW-E99 (1 GB) now for about a week I can only post my reflections for the short ownership per today:
    * Tiny, tiny
    * I previously thought there was an internal battery + use of an extra battery (AAA size) as an option. However, looking throught he manual, there is no info as such. Can only assume a AAA battery is the sole source.
    * About 60 hours of playback time for the ATRAC 132 format.
    * Volume is IMO OK but I would like to find out whether there is a service mode in order to (maybe) set to other volume standards opposed the EU stipulations.
    * Using the stock earbuds = NO!. I am currently using the Sony MDR EX51 buds
    * The NW-E99 casing seems quite rugged, however it seems to be a bit scratch prone.
    * Different sound settings are available. Having flipped thru the settings they seem all to be OK
    * The unit comes with flashmemory configured as 2 x 512MB. This can be of annoyance to some since you will need to keep track of the transfers. Not a big deal really.
    * Sonic Stage v. 2.3 gave me no problems. Several threads point out using NVIDIA graph. cards can cause PC freeze, however I have not encountered any trouble whatsoever. Have been using previous version of Sonic Stage as well without hassle.

All-in-all: A very nice player, tiny, IMO good sounding and hassle free.