1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Sony FF505X100S Grand Wega TV

Discussion in 'TVs' started by guyb, May 20, 2001.

1. guyb

guyb

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +5
    Has anyone got a Sony FF505X100S Grand Wega TV or does anyone know of any reviews. I am thinking of buying this TV but want to hearing what everyone thinks of it before I buy. Also, does anyone know the cheapest place I can get it from.

2. Russ

Russ

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +16
    The UK model is KF-50SX100U
    There a few reviews about (HCC & What Video & TV ) and they think it is 'expensive'. Also, the consistent comment is that it has the LCD fault of poor blacks.But read on.

The design is much slimmer than other RPTV sets (From the front its like a plasma) and it looks much better than a room filling box too !

But on what basis is the TV being compared ? I don't think these reviews take all factors into consideration.

The TV uses 3 hi res LCD panels and is bright to the edges of the screen. There are no user convergence or geometry settings (its all pre-aligned).
    Fed with a bright image the result is superb. Fed from DVD the detail is amazing - this is not your typical RPTV set mush - DRC works here and there are no dark scanning lines visible when fed with NTSC material. Alos, there is no LCD matrix visible. Colours are not as saturated or sparkle like a TV set but they are good. Matt/muted comes to mind - but its not bad.

It is a compromise between a Plasma (also poor blacks/visible matrix - 50" pioneer about £9K at the moment) and projector and TV set-up (the best if you have the £notes/space ).

This is the issue - one size does not suit all and whereas a projector for DVD and a TV for TV (!) is the best solution, the cost and convenience is not the same as one 50" set that does a good job for both.

Now the Tosh owners will disagree - but there you have it - one size doesn't fit all ;).

If you like what you see (and you must test the set for yourself with both off air and DVD materials) get it and don't worry about the reviews - its your money. If you don't like it, then save up for a projector set up !
    Russ
    ;) ;)

3. guyb

guyb

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +5
    Thanks for the info Russ. I have seen the TV at my local Sony center and the picture looked fabulous however the picture playing was Toy Story DVD so it is hard to imagine what it would be like with a non-animated picture. I don't think that the projector set would be suitable with the size room I have. Do you know the URL of the reviews.

4. jabez

jabez

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    hi.i i'm jabez... are you really interested on these sony grand wega telly kf50sx100u? i'm actually selling it. it's still in good condition well. you can send me messagw if you're really interested. thank you.:)