Sony FDR AX53 downloading 4k

Gordon Streeter

Hi, I decided to try a Sony AX53 as I have read good reports about them, however one problem is that if I use the SD card in a card reader on the laptop it will only show the "private" part with 1080p but not the DCIM part that has the 4k recorded on. If I use the USB lead that was supplied and connected to the camera it still only shows the same !
I can retrieve the 4k by using my editing software directly to the camera or the card reader. I tried asking Currys who I bought it from but I might just have well have asked anyone off the street ! I would think it's some sort of software issue ? I have been so used to just putting an SD card into a reader and downloading everything into a file for years and it's annoying. I have had a good look on the net but haven't found anything yet.

chrishull3

Gordon i have a Delkin card reader as soon as i plug the USB into a usb slot on my pc it is recognised as private or DCIM, DCIM is the ones with 4K ,they can be put in a folder of choice.

Gordon Streeter

Gordon i have a Delkin card reader as soon as i plug the USB into a usb slot on my pc it is recognised as private or DCIM, DCIM is the ones with 4K ,they can be put in a folder of choice.
Chris, is that card from a Sony camcorder ? I have a cheapo card reader that only shows one private folder on the Sony card but shows both private and DCIM folders with my Panasonic 4k, anyway as John 7 pointed out it can be found else ware. Why can't things be simple anymore.

John7

DCIM is usually a photo folder. If your camera does not support photographic mode, I don't think a DCIM folder is created on a format.

The private folder is where the video files are stored, 1080P in AVCHD and 4K in M4ROOT/CLIP

Gordon Streeter

DCIM is usually a photo folder. If your camera does not support photographic mode, I don't think a DCIM folder is created on a format.

The private folder is where the video files are stored, 1080P in AVCHD and 4K in M4ROOT/CLIP
Ok, however it does support photographic mode just like my 4k Panasonic that actually takes pretty good stills like this
Maisie.png

chrishull3

Chris, is that card from a Sony camcorder ? I have a cheapo card reader that only shows one private folder on the Sony card but shows both private and DCIM folders with my Panasonic 4k, anyway as John 7 pointed out it can be found else ware. Why can't things be simple anymore.
No Gordon from my Panasonic G9 and bridge camera as well, it also works on a Pana HD camcorder i still have,DCIM shows both stills and Video with my card reader strait into my pcs HDMI,good luck.

Gordon Streeter

No Gordon from my Panasonic G9 and bridge camera as well, it also works on a Pana HD camcorder i still have,DCIM shows both stills and Video with my card reader strait into my pcs HDMI,good luck.
Mine is exactly the same as yours on my Panasonic cameras, I can download from this new Sony 53 that I have just bought so it's OK. I was bidding on eBay for a couple but they started getting to silly money for a used item. I decided to buy a new one that I got for about £50 more than they were eventually sold for !
Looking at the Sony although the stabilization feature is very good compared to my other camcorders it falls down in the manual setting side regarding iris vs frame rate and isn't as user friendly selecting them either ! as you can only select one setting at once and have to keep going back into the screen to select something else. I was going to sell some of my other camcorders but I don't think I'll bother for a while until I've actually given it a good test in the next month.

spsmiler

Maybe when trying to view folders that you know ought to be there but cannot be seen you need to change the file & folder view settings (for the computer) so that hidden files & folders are visible, even protected system files (if you are using Windows).

Hope this helps, Simon

Gordon Streeter

Maybe when trying to view folders that you know ought to be there but cannot be seen you need to change the file & folder view settings (for the computer) so that hidden files & folders are visible, even protected system files (if you are using Windows).

Hope this helps, Simon
Hi, no I tried the hidden folder route, I even tried a recovery to see if anything related to Sony was on there. As I said exactly, the same thing shows up when using the supplied USB lead that came with it. It would be interesting to hear from anyone else with the same camera.
It doesn't bother me as I can get the footage off, it was just that I have been used to the other decent cameras that I have used for years.
I am not really a 100% sure if I like the camera or not apart from the stabilization aspect, the manual focus ring (although in the "propper" place) is very slow to use taking lots of turning, it's a shame that it's not as user friendly like my Panasonic's but it's early days and I've not tried making a full video with it yet.

next010

Distinguished Member
Could be some sort of permissions corruption in the file system of the SD card.

You could try the official SD card formatting tool which will replace the file system then see if the camera accepts it and all folders are read on the PC. Back up anything on the card beforehand of course.

The latest video from AVForums

Panasonic LZ2000, LZ1500 & LZ980 Hands-on Launch Event | No QD-OLED for 2022, new 77-inch for LZ2000
Subscribe to our YouTube channel

Full fat HDMI teeshirts

Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom