Sony FDR-AX33 Help

scottk517

Novice Member
Hey yall,

I am new to the more advanced camcorder game. I got a Sony FDR-AX33 for a steal so I upgraded from my Panasonic SD800. My biggest question is how do I get the RAW 4k video downloaded to my computer? On the SD card, I only see the mp4 files. I am looking for the clearest possible video to upload for highlight reels for the players on the schools sports teams. I am a newbie so I don't play with all the settings, I just set to auto and shoot. Its all outdoors and so far it is good. I see the files for AVCHD files, but I know they are the HD setting, not 4k and the other file spot has the MP4 files, which I understand are not as clear as the RAW 4k footage, or I could be wrong. Do I have to import from the play memories app? Thanks for the help

Scott

12harry

Distinguished Member
Hi
Hopefully a real-User will know, - but it might be your "Settings" will need to change . . . . if you say the RAW files aren't on the card ( via Reader? to PC.).... it's unlikely you can find them with Play Memories - IMHO one of the several "Easy to use" programs provided by camera-makers - since the bulk of Public don't want to EDIT - and accept poor footage of cats / grandchildren / etc.

Are you sure the card is fast-enough to take the RAW data? PLUS are you sure it produces moving RAW files? . . . RAW was originally for Stills ( so folks could play with the details after the shoot.)...

FWIW it might be a good idea to use the old Pana as back-up. Mounted on a tripod it should provide clear cutaways to help with the EDIT. Most Editors will allow a mix of formats so good HD and 4K should not be an issue.

Have you asked the guy that sold-it? A bit of a long-shot - but bear in mind this was an entry-level 4K camcorder - - - and I don't recall RAW being part of movie-spec.

Funnily enough, I bought recently the VX800 as I didn't want the faf of 4K with somewhat shorter Zooms - only snag is it doesn't have tracking-focus, nor spot-focus.... despite having a touch-screen. Also, I dislike the Manual Focus - where it scored was the 25MPx stills - which beats my Stills camera by a lot ( er, I hope, =when I get out again... ).

Good Luck H.

scottk517

Novice Member
Hi
Hopefully a real-User will know, - but it might be your "Settings" will need to change . . . . if you say the RAW files aren't on the card ( via Reader? to PC.).... it's unlikely you can find them with Play Memories - IMHO one of the several "Easy to use" programs provided by camera-makers - since the bulk of Public don't want to EDIT - and accept poor footage of cats / grandchildren / etc.

Are you sure the card is fast-enough to take the RAW data? PLUS are you sure it produces moving RAW files? . . . RAW was originally for Stills ( so folks could play with the details after the shoot.)...

FWIW it might be a good idea to use the old Pana as back-up. Mounted on a tripod it should provide clear cutaways to help with the EDIT. Most Editors will allow a mix of formats so good HD and 4K should not be an issue.

Have you asked the guy that sold-it? A bit of a long-shot - but bear in mind this was an entry-level 4K camcorder - - - and I don't recall RAW being part of movie-spec.

Funnily enough, I bought recently the VX800 as I didn't want the faf of 4K with somewhat shorter Zooms - only snag is it doesn't have tracking-focus, nor spot-focus.... despite having a touch-screen. Also, I dislike the Manual Focus - where it scored was the 25MPx stills - which beats my Stills camera by a lot ( er, I hope, =when I get out again... ).

Good Luck H.
I guess I was wrong when I said RAW. I assumed it was RAW when reading a review. It says it records in XVAC S format and another in MP4 format, yet all I see is MP4 files. When I look at the .inf, I think, file, it does show the 3840 x 2160 size, so I guess the .MP4 is the XVAC S 4K file. When I imported using the Sony software there was 2 other files for each .MP4 file, I don’t have access to my computer right now, that would not open when clicked on, so I don’t know what they are, but the .MP4 files play when clicked on. So far I am happy with it. The camera was an open box buy from a local electronics store. The only reasons I even looked was the wired remote option, high speed recording in HD, 120fps, (not sure if it actually makes a difference though, I am recording lacrosse right now, and I love gadgets. The only reason I got it was how cheap it was, like 65% off original retail. I have recorded on game so far and I looks great, I just need to figure out the zoom level needed for the field.

MarkE19

Even going back to miniDV camcorders we did not have direct to a RAW (aka uncompressed I assume you mean) copy of the recorded files. Even being SD at 720x576/480 resolution they were compressed at 5:1 so there is no chance a consumer camcorder would offer 4K footage uncompressed from a memory card.
An mp4 video file is actually just a container that may have several different types of compressed video and audio file formats in it.

Mark.

12harry

Distinguished Member
Further to that, . . . . it has been advertised that (?Atmos? recorders), take the o/p from the HDMI connector- provided that is working in Record-Mode. The AX33 may not have this, - being the cheapest 4K model and it may be HDMI o/p is just "less compressed" rather than 4K . . .
It appears OP didn't read the specs correctly ( a common fault since we consumers like to believe the Advertising Puff beyond the plain words.).
. Using such an external recorder "should" extract the best the sensor can deliver whilst getting away from the compression Consumer-camcorders use to ectend the Memory that a bit longer. However, these Recorders are pricey - typically HD versions are £500 and 4K about £800 (DYOR), last time I looked - the major snag IMHO, being they only record in Apple-format - so you can't use any of the cheaper Editors . . . for many folks, using Adobe Suite isn't an issue . . . . but the Subscription model means it will become more expensive next year.
. A real "bonus" in using the Atmos is the external screen, so it can be in the shade ( on bright days), but you are paying a lot - and maybe a more-expensive Camcorder would have been "better" with more care to the data-stream,. and Lens facilities/ Audio etc..
+ since OP is keen on best-quality - I wonder that the AX33 was such a good choice? Video apart, what's his "take! on the Audio?

+++ Cheers H.

The latest video from AVForums

AVForums Movies Podcast: We review Dune and ask which is the best decade for horror movies?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom