1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Sony FD Trinitron WEGA KV-28HX15 Impressions

Discussion in 'Televisions' started by FlyingBig, Dec 11, 2004.

1. FlyingBig

FlyingBig
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    Would appreciate some feedback on this set before i purchase it on Monday. Particularly on the Geometry and any other imperfections there might be. I had the 36 inch Sony WEGA tv and i had to return it becuase the Digital Motion and Auto Noise Reduction options were crap and really brought the tv down. If anyone has experienced the digital motion feature they will know what i am talking about so it concerns me that this Tv has these features as well. All i am looking for is a basic 50htz tv with basic functions i.e no auto noise reduction and digital motion. Cheers

2. DRGL

DRGL
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    I guess you are talking about the halo effect and occasional MPEG style break up? You can turn the picture processing off but then you will have the smear effect of 100Hz.For me the benifits of 100Hz far out weigh the drwaback of it. I had a heated discussion about this recently,the argument against 100Hz was it is human nature to say the new expensive TV you've just purchsed is great when infact it is "crap"! I would say it is also human nature to forget how "crap" the old stuff really is(50Hz,Vinyl Vs CD etc etc).The same thing happened with HID headlights when they came out-everyone was moaning about the "glare of those new blue headlights" when infact there is less glare.Why do you notice it? Because you are not used to it and your eye is drawn to it.The exact same thing happened when halogen headlights came out,everyone was moaning about those "new white headlights"!! I am not saying 100Hz picture processing doesn't show up some picture artifacts but for ME and a lot of people the benifits far outweigh the negatives.I don't know about the model of TV you are looking at but i would say if you want 50Hz you need to see the sets in the flesh-the larger the screen the more you will notice the flicker.Some people don't notice 50Hz flicker though!

3. FlyingBig

FlyingBig
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    Well I was talking to the guy who works in the Sony Centre and he confirmed for me that there is no digital motion on this 50hz set so that rules that out, as for the flicker, its not noticable unless there is some sort of text on the screen. The rest of the time its hardly noticable at all and if i picky git like me has manged with 50hz sets all my life up untill now then there is no issue at all. The new 100hz tvs with digital processing just **** me off no end, i have returned 5 tvs in the last 6 months because of various problems and its all to do with new technology and negligence of various well known tv companies that just bung these tvs out for fun knowing they can fix any issues in 3 months time when they release their new garbage. Me, i want a basic tv that is wide screen and has no geometry flaws at all (bending at either side of the screen) and no digital processing systems at all so that means digital noise reduction will be turned off on this set permanently. From what i was told this wega tv has a flat screen so hopefully geometry won't be an issue with this set. What Tv do you own DRGL?

4. DRGL

DRGL
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    I've gpt a 36HQ100 which is being replaced by Sony on Monday-a mastercare engineer came out to do the recall and managed to wreck the set :rolleyes: I know Sony have had a lot of complaints re:the picture processing-so much so that the early sets didn't have the option to turn it off!! I don't have a problem with it,for me the the pros on the picture far outweigh the cons ;)

5. Alan D

Alan D

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I don't think you'll ever get a widescreen CRT with perfect geometry. You might be lucky and get a good one, but it'll never be perfect. It's one reason I bit the bullet and went LCD (cost a fortune, but the perfect geometry and convergence makes me smile). Of course they do come with problems of their own (see the LCD forum for endless discussions) but so far I'm very happy with the results.

6. FlyingBig

FlyingBig
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    Tv arrives today. Will keep people posted on what the geometry is like and any other issues that arise. This will be my 6th Tv since i started looking for a widescreen Tv 6 months ago so if this passes the test you can be sure that if your looking for a tv set this is the one for you ;) Hopefully save you the time and effort i have went through the last 6 months.

7. FlyingBig

FlyingBig
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    Alright, so far i have tested PS2/DVD/XBOX(Composite)/SKY and i can't find any flaws at all. This reminds me of my old Sony 29inch 4:3 tv i had for 5 years. No issues with Geometry and no dirty screen effects anywhere. So this one gets a big thumbs up and i am so surprised i haven't found anything to annoy me yet but hey there is still time. So if you were having a nightmare with finding the right tv and you can live with 28 inches then this is the definate Tv set for you.

8. timbo_bobcat

timbo_bobcat
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Glad you like the set FlyingBig - as you know from our PMs, I am also very happy with this set and would recommend it to anyone. I veered away from 100Hz due to all the problems, saved a hatful of money and haven't regretted it.

9. billyraybyrne

billyraybyrne

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi there all, i'm going to be buying one of these tv after christmas but am un-sure on what home cinema set up to go for? budget - £400-500.
    Should i stick with sony? was looking at the DAV-SR2?

Any help would be most appreciated.