• New Patreon Tier and Early Access Content available. If you would like to support AVForums, we now have a new Patreon Tier which gives you access to selected news, reviews and articles before they are available to the public. Read more.

Sony fanboy blashphomy - Please help!!!

Mickey123

I know this has been covered many times before but as the date loom’s closer this Sony fan boy is extremely worried.

I think Sony have got it wrong!:thumbsdow

I want to love Sony, I did love Sony, I want Microsoft have the poorer machine yet im more tempted than ever to get the 360. Why???

1 - The PS3 launch titles are terrible, and the once ‘exclusives’ are now not exclusive at all.

There is nothing I want on the PS3 where as the 360 this xmas has 5+ tiles Im interested in.
I know this is a personal taste thing, but were the PS3 released with the next gen grand theft auto, there would be no question what consol I or anyone else would buy, price or not. I see no such reason here apart from the fans af Gran Turismo, not my cup of tea but granted a good launch title. I mean, sonic the headghog???? Yeah, Ill just splash out £500 to play £50’s worth of Sonic??? Is this just me?

Add to this previously ‘exclusive’ and then ‘PS2 first’ titles are now either first on the 360 or at least the exact same time. The 360 seems to trail behind no more.
This proves games manufacturers are shifting towards Microsoft!! Fact!!!
Take Pro Evo soccer, once a Playstation’s best reason to buy a PS instead of any other format.
Well it’s now out on the 360 not only FIRST but a whole year before!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
And then take Grand Theft Auto, another title that would never ever go over to the Microsoft format. Then it got a release date a year behind the initial Playstation date on the original Xbox. Now there given the same release dates.

As mentioned - is this not proof enough Sony are stumbling somewhere?

2 - HD DVD

I don’t care about this feature? Is anyone buying a PS3 because of this? I certainly don’t want to pay an over inflated price because of this unwanted feature.
I don’t care about blu ray or HD DVD and neither does anyone I know at this point.
I know the 360 is releasing a HD drive as an add on so ‘IF’ I decide I ever want this I can have it but don’t have to fork out for it if I don’t.
Be honest, If you could have the new PS3 for a hundered quid less WITHOUT Blu Ray would you?

3 – Power ‘X consol has more teraflops than ‘Y’

No consol reaches anywhere near its potential in its first few years. Tiger Woods on the PS3 will be the exact same as on the 360. Bad choice of comparison game I know but Ive never heard of any of the other PS3 lauch titles
To me, the PS3 seems to be the more powerful and it may well eventually out perform the 360 in many years to come, but in many years to come it’s price of the PS3 will be halved.
I can see no reason to buy a PS3 in its first year because of specs on paper alone when side by side the games will be the same.

4 – The first year is out of the way for the 360!

The 360 has had its first year to iron out all its hic up hard ware problems that affect any consol. The PS3 will still have to go through this phase as any consol does on launch. Thompson DVD drive anyone??

5 - Price

I feel sure when the PS3 is released at its enormous price tag of £450 WITHOUT a game (i.e. consol only) the 360’s price will drop or better super value bundles will appear.
As mentioned the games will be the same for the first year side by side (who gives a toss about teraflops on paper) so why pay £200 more for a PS3.

For the price of one PS3 you could have a Nintendo Wii AND a 360!!!!!!!!!!!!!

So, is this Sony fan boy slipping for a reason.

AM I MISSING SOMETHING??????????????

Please help before Microsoft convert me!!!!!!!!!!!!

Heeeeeeeeeellllllllllllpppppppppp meeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee:suicide:

IMO I think the 360 is Fantastic and is just getting better. You only have to look at the upcoming releases

BUT I will be buying a PS3, purely because I want both, and I would like a Blu-Ray drive and this is by FAR the cheapest method of getting one at present.

I personally dont understand the whole I want the 360 to be crap and the PS3 to be great bull****, why would you want it to fail? This time round Sony has to compete with the xbox and hopefully will push forward games and development much quicker on both platforms, ultimately benefiting us with BETTER quality games rather than a lot of the crap that fills our shelves these days.

Its not about Microsoft converting you at all, they offer something good then BUY IT, the brand name means nothing at all.

I will also buy a Wii. I have no loyalty to any brand I buy what I think is good maybe you should start doing the same. Just a thought ;)

eternaldark

What a breath of fresh air that post was!!

Yeah not to start a 360vs PS3 thread god knows there a zillion already

But yeah the PS3 isn't that much of a change compared to the 360, yes the PS specs may be slightly better yadda yadda but with everything it takes time to establish, we are now beginning to see the results of the 360 being out almost a year with some fantastic games.

But the PS3 will need at least a year for devs to get to grips with the console, and as the OP says the exclusives between the 2 consoles are almost negligable now.

I must admit i would like a PS3 as well to compliment the 360, but i will only do so when the difference in games between the 2 is worthwhile and the price comes down a bit.

I'm gagging to play the new Final Fantasy games but not going to spend £500+ to play a small amount of games, I'll wait till there is a decent catalogue to warrant purchase.

TBH sony aren't doing much to swing people who aren't sure people want the juicy details of the PS3 not some CGI intro which doesn't tell you anything.

In reply again to the OP I'd go for a 360 and see what the PS3 has to offer next xmas.

Pooon

Distinguished Member
I wasn't going to post here but i thought it kinda fitted in with what the OP was saying

Smak

Who is the OP trying to convince himself or others...? If you want a 360 get one, if you cant afford both get a PS3 next year.

Also since when did the PS3 cost £450? If youre not interested in Blue ray or HDMI then get the 20GB version which is gonna be £350.

Mickey123

Hey there, will update when I get home and have more time. Just to say some good replies here.

@ smak -

Who is the OP trying to convince himself or others...? If you want a 360 get one, if you cant afford both get a PS3 next year.

think your missing the point. Im trying to generate answers to my post.
A different angle to 360 v PS3 that is boring now. I am genrally interested in others opinions so your reply "if you want a 360 get one, if you can afford both get a PS3 next year"...... doesnt really offer me anything constructive at all or even give me a glimpse of your view's.

Also since when did the PS3 cost £450? If youre not interested in Blue ray or HDMI then get the 20GB version which is gonna be £350

As far as I know your mis informed too.

The 20GB PS3 won't be available here in the UK and £450 is the rough 'consol only' lauch price.
Also, it would make NO difference what so ever if I were interested in blu ray or not as BOTH packages of the PS3 use blu ray drives. The only diff being the cheaper of the two hasn't got a card reader or a HDMI port or wi-fi.
Still as said there's only 1 package avalible here in the UK as far as I know.

£550 with 3 games, see play.com.
http://www.play.com/Games/PlayStati...S3_Console_With_60GB_HDD_3_Games/Product.html

What price are you counting on? 350 quid - where??????

EDITED B4 ANY1 REPLIED BELLOW RE SPELLING

Smak

Mickey123 said:
Hey there, will update when I get home and have more time. Just to say some good replies here.

@ smack - think your missing the point. Im trying to generate answers to my post.
A different angle to 360 v PS3 that is boring now. I am genrally interested in others opinions so your reply "if you want a 360 get on"...... doesnt really offer me anything constructive at all or tell me your view.

As far as I know your mis informed too.

you cant get the 20GB PS3 here in the UK.
and £450 consol only was the lauch price. £550 with 3 games, see play.com.

What price are you counting on?

oh dear.....:rolleyes:

No official info on the 20GB or 60GB version in the UK so no one can comment on price or availability. Sony announced the following at E3 for Europe:

Europe: Nov 17th. 20GB: EUR 499 (£341). 60GB: EUR 599 (£410).

most places have the PS3 advertised at £425 but you would know that if you bothered to look.

I thought the launch games for the PS3 was pretty decent in comparisson...

November 17, 2006 Resistance: Fall of Man Sony Computer Entertainment Shooter
November 17, 2006 John Woo Presents Stranglehold Midway Games Action Adventure
November 17, 2006 Genji 2 Sony Computer Entertainment Action
November 17, 2006 Alone in the Dark Atari Adventure
November 17, 2006 Fatal Inertia KOEI Racing Action
November 17, 2006 Bladestorm: The Hundred Years War KOEI Strategy
November 17, 2006 EA Sports Fight Night Round 3 Electronic Arts Sports
November 17, 2006 Tony Hawk's Project 8 Activision Sports
November 17, 2006 NHL 2K7 2K Sports Sports
November 17, 2006 Sonic the Hedgehog SEGA Platformer
November 17, 2006 NBA Live 07 Electronic Arts Sports
November 17, 2006 Full Auto 2: Battlelines SEGA Racing Action
November 17, 2006 Marvel: Ultimate Alliance Activision Action RPG
November 17, 2006 Ridge Racer 7 Namco Racing
November 17, 2006 Tom Clancy's Rainbow Six: Vegas Ubisoft Shooter
November 17, 2006 Untold Legends: Dark Kingdom Sony Online Entertainment Action RPG
November 17, 2006 College Hoops 2K7 2K Sports Sports
November 17, 2006 Madden NFL 07 Electronic Arts Sports
November 17, 2006 Tiger Woods PGA Tour 07 Electronic Arts Sports
November 17, 2006 Need for Speed Carbon Electronic Arts Racing
November 17, 2006 Warhawk Sony Computer Entertainment Flight Action
November 17, 2006 flOw (PS3 Hub Download) *TBA Action
November 17, 2006 Call of Duty 3 Activision Shooter

I'm looking at getting Motorstorm and Resistance: Fall of Man at launch,

check this thread if you have yet to see Motorstorm and what the PS3 is capable of at launch....

http://www.avforums.com/forums/showthread.php?t=372494

Mickey123

Hi Smak, Just get a few replies to others out first and then will reply to you

@ twisty Wizzard

I think you like Smak, have mis understood my post. Whilst I am a PS fan I just wanted to get a bit of a debate going and not come up with the usual 360 v PS3 crap.
Brands don't bother me either but I don't want to fork out for both consoles. Why should any of us have to?

The reason I want the PS3 to rock for is because I've wasted a year not buying the 360 to wait for the PS3. It looks like I've wasted my time. Also, as stated I have loved PS for many years. Ideally I wanted a machine I could play all of my old games on.

@ Eternal dark

Totally agree with every word you said mate

@ Pooon

LOL – superb - Geeez, someone recorded me!!!!!!!!! Haha - Joking to one side, I agree with everything he said!!!!!!!!!

@ Smak

Play are offering them at £550 though. This is a reputable company and there taking orders at this price. This must say something.

Ive heard many times all over the web only the premium edition PS3 will be available here in the UK on launch.

I have to disagree with the Launch Titles.

Suerly Sony could have launched this with GTA or something really special.
I mean, all it would take is planning and money.
I even liked the look of Killzone but thats not a launch title anymore either. Pro evo anyone - get a 360 and sony will catch up a year later.
I mean, come on. I think Sony has lost the plot here.

Can anyone remember those stupid PS2's that had a built in hard disk recorder to record TV shows known as the PSX????
What a crap idea!!!! Did anyone other than sony think this was a good thing???
Needless to say, they flopped big time world wide.

Apart from the PSP these were Sony's last attempts at a consol.

scary how big companies lose touch and go from trying hard to give us everything we want to leading us in directions we don't.

by the way Smak - that .mov file looks redered. I doubt they will be in game GFX,just like Killzone

AGAIN EDITED BEFORE ANY REPLIES BELLOW (why does this forum say you have edited your post even if no one has posted bellow you?)

WelshBluebird

Mickey123 said:
Play are offering them at £550 though. This is a reputable company and there taking orders at this price. This must say something.

but its a bundle with 3 games though. Since it seems the games will be 50 quid, your only talking £400 for the console, which is £25 less than other retailers are saying.
And as Smak said, there has been no offical word on the 20GB version, so in my eyes, until sony say otherwise, I think we are still having it.

edit - Also Mickey, I actually thought the PSX was a good idea. If they had been officially released here, I probably would have got one, as I would really like a hard disk recorder, but havn't really got enough room in my room - The only way it could fit is if I got rid of my ps2, which I would be able to do if I had a PSX.

Smak

Mickey123 said:
by the way Smak - that .mov file looks redered. I doubt they will be in game GFX....

Already been confirmed in-game engine :boring:

Also if you look through that thread there is some videos of people actually playing the game at E3. But hey if you think the PS3's graphics look like renders then thats a good thing right...

M

Mr Smith

I was a bit of a Sony fanboy last generation but I didn't see any reason not to buy a 360 this time since MS is doing a pretty good job of securing the big games for its system. Admittedly I waited till I could get a 360 for what I feel is cheap (£213 premium with dixons/egg card) and I'll do the same for PS3.

I think its true Sony will have a tougher time this round since they have lost alot of the well established huge exclusives (GTA SA has almost sold as many copies as MGS 1,2 and 3 have combined for example so 360 getting GTA4 at the same time as ps3 is a big blow) but they still have a couple in Gran Turismo and Final Fantasy and they have some new franchises hitting the system which could be huge.

At the end of the day I think its unlikely that PS3 will be anything but a success but if your the type of person that only buys one console I doubt you would be disappointed with owning either machine this generation since MS seems to be doing a much better job getting its console killer apps than they did with the original Xbox.

Smak

Mickey123 said:
Suerly Sony could have launched this with GTA or something really special.

I think Heavenly Sword will be something special, easily one of the most graphicaly impressive games, aniamtion and lighting is truely next-gen.

This game is not released Nov 17th but will be launch window.

Vids here....

http://www.gametrailers.com/player.php?id=10791&type=wmv&pl=game

all in-game engine and playable at E3.

http://www.gametrailers.com/player.php?id=10869&type=wmv&pl=game

runam0k

I'm getting a PS3 at launch because: (a) it's PS f'in 3, it has to be good; (b) I'm a sucker for gadgets; and (c) I can afford it (just).

BUT I'm a little surprised I'm not more excited about the launch.

The thing is PS2 had a pretty weak launch and consoles generally do... But man do Sony over-hype their wares.

Rewind one year. Xbox 360 coming soon and everyone expected PS3 to follow a few months later and basically trounce it. This long, painful wait - in fact, since the infamous E305 show - with Sony execs making stupid comments at every opportunity, and the embarrassing E306 conference... It's really taken the shine off for me.

I've gone from craving the machine to fully expecting to let it gather dust until I see some decent developments/games.

Take away the multiplatform games from the "launch" list above and there's really no contest. I'd be excited about Resistance (as a big FPS fan) but Sony were too scared to change the controller! Motorstorm looks fun, but maybe not £50 of fun (not when there are umpteen 360 games I'll be buying towards the end of the year).

I don't know, like I say it's PS3 - it will be a great console. But for the OP, grab a cheap 360 and catch up on all the great games you've missed and look forward to some big hitters: Double Agent, Gears, Dead Rising, Crackdown, Pro Evo, blah, blah

Mickey123

@ runamok

Rewind one year. Xbox 360 coming soon and everyone expected PS3 to follow a few months later and basically trounce it. This long, painful wait - in fact, since the infamous E305 show - with Sony execs making stupid comments at every opportunity, and the embarrassing E306 conference... It's really taken the shine off for me.

I've gone from craving the machine to fully expecting to let it gather dust until I see some decent developments/games.

This says it all really. I think it is true for many many Sony fans too. I totally agree!

@ welsh blue bird.

Mickey, I actually thought the PSX was a good idea. If they had been officially released here, I probably would have got one, as I would really like a hard disk recorder, but havn't really got enough room in my room - The only way it could fit is if I got rid of my ps2, which I would be able to do if I had a PSX.

I think you could have got a hard disk recorder from sky for a hundred quid and a PS2 and saved yourself the other £200.
The PSX like the PS3 is far far overpriced to generate any interest.
Hence it flopped world wide.
I take your point though that some peeps would of been interested like yourself but I think if the majority wern't, or this would have been a success.

I think it fair to say, im not the only one here who feels Sony may have lost at least a small part of the Intrest/Market

Suppose we will have to wait and see but it certainly isn't going to be a Dreamcast/PS2 walkover like last time around like sonys arrogance about the high pricwe would imply.

Mattk84

Banned
i fail to see how anyone can be a sony,nintendo or microsoft 'fan' as the consoles are only as good as the games made to play on them.

unheardof

Standard Member
I'm coming in to this arguement from another angle

I'm a xbox / x360 fan through and through but i am far from a fanboy. It's just the simple fact that the games i prefer to play (FPS, Action, adventure, rallying, racing) are usually found on microsofts machine.

I've seen the previews for the PS3 but other than motorstorm, there has be nothing else to peak my interest. Killzone certainly looked good but it was revealed to be a fake video, hell the original motorstorm video was fake also.

My point really is given the extra year sony have had after the launch of the 360, the haven't capatalised on it in any way, shape or form.

For me at least i see several problems:
No big exclusives, bloated prices, weak launch titles, problems with developers, games being delayed, increasing bad press, etc. And to top it off another format being released around the same time (Nintendo's Wii) and a rival format just about to hit its stride (the 360 with Gears of War, Dead Rising, Pro Evo and in the new year Lost Planet, etc)

They've got a fight on there hands for sure

Mickey123

@ MattK - I toally agree the consol is only as good as the games on it - Hence one of my reasons for drifting from sony, the launch games are crap!

Its not that Im a sony fan as such, just wanted to make the thread sound interesting to generate the most replies instead of the 360 V PS3 crap again.
Ive explained all this before twice above.

Mind you,humans are creatures of habit. Sony so far has treat me rights, good consols good games at a resonable price etc.
So to give a warped example and put this in supermarket terms - I shop at Tesco's every week. There prices and products are good. Why would I go to ASDA then???? Tell you when, when Tesco's start giving me a bad deal.

Thats whats hapened here to me and many other Sony PS2 owners re the PS3.

Bizzare example I know:rotfl:

@ Unheardof

It's just the simple fact that the games i prefer to play (FPS, Action, adventure, rallying, racing) are usually found on microsofts machine.

All thoses genres of games you mention are just as well catered for by Sony IMO.

So like my supermaket example above you most likely have stuck withn MicroSoft because you feel your getting a good deal, I mean, why change? Why look else where - Its not realy fanboy talk, it's human nature.
(Before anyone says I am more than awares some of you have the Xbox and 360 and PS2 and a gamecube etc etc but you not the avaerage members of the gaming community.)

Killzone certainly looked good but it was revealed to be a fake video, hell the original motorstorm video was fake also.

My point really is given the extra year sony have had after the launch of the 360, the haven't capatalised on it in any way, shape or form.

For me at least i see several problems:
No big exclusives, bloated prices, weak launch titles, problems with developers, games being delayed, increasing bad press, etc. And to top it off another format being released around the same time (Nintendo's Wii) and a rival format just about to hit its stride (the 360 with Gears of War, Dead Rising, Pro Evo and in the new year Lost Planet, etc)

They've got a fight on there hands for sure

Agin,I totally agree with every word said above! I honestly thought it was just me and Im glad I posted this thread now.

Does everyone agree the 360's price is likely to drop futher or better bundles etc on the PS3 release?

Dave

Distinguished Member
My 2p's worth, the major problem for Sony now is that after a year the 360 has been a massive success and looking at the 2 machines, the PS3 doesn't really offer anything better than the 360 and costs considerably more.

The exclusive titles on the PS2 were one of the main reasons it sold a lot more than the original xbox and that simply isn't the case with the PS3.

I'm not a microsoft fanboy, in fact i'm just a gadget whore and if companies offer me a great product I'll buy it regardless of who made it. The problem is the 2 consoles are now so closely matched in terms of specs and features that owning both of them would largely be a waste of money and because the 360 has had a head start and costs less, the PS3 has to offer more and it just doesn't.

The funny thing is, I owned a PS2 for years and shunned the xbox largely because it was considered as crap by many sony fans. I finally gave in and got one just 18 months before the 360 was released and couldn't understand why I never got one before. In fact the PS2 never got touched after I got the xbox.

It seems that Sony's marketing for the PS2 relied heavily on brand loyalty and making the xbox seem crap but this time everyone can see how great the xbox 360 is and Sony are having a hard time convincing people otherwise.

Anyway, I've rambled on enough. Basicly if you can afford both get both, if not then I'm afraid you have a very difficult decision to make.:smashin:

Mickey123

^^^^ No daerve you havent rambled on enough.

Seriously fella, what a top post.

Sometimes I struggle to find the words to describe how I feel but you summed it up in one!:thumbsup:

lokideviluk

Standard Member
Daerve said:
The funny thing is, I owned a PS2 for years and shunned the xbox largely because it was considered as crap by many sony fans. I finally gave in and got one just 18 months before the 360 was released and couldn't understand why I never got one before. In fact the PS2 never got touched after I got the xbox.

Id say you were in the minority with that then, We struggle to shift Xbox's at all now adays, whilst PS2 continues to sell like hotcakes. We have even gone to the trouble of making new games "buy 1 get 1 free" and still they wont shift.

The Xbox has been out long enough to overtake the Ps2 and it never has but then the PS2 came out first, got its grounding and stormed through forever more.

Perhaps the 360 is the PS2 whilst the PS3 is the old Xbox.....

I doubt it though, give it a year and Sony will be storming ahead.

Dave

Distinguished Member
lokideviluk said:
Id say you were in the minority with that then, We struggle to shift Xbox's at all now adays, whilst PS2 continues to sell like hotcakes. We have even gone to the trouble of making new games "buy 1 get 1 free" and still they wont shift.

The Xbox has been out long enough to overtake the Ps2 and it never has but then the PS2 came out first, got its grounding and stormed through forever more.

Perhaps the 360 is the PS2 whilst the PS3 is the old Xbox.....

I doubt it though, give it a year and Sony will be storming ahead.

This surprises me to be honest as out of the 2 consoles IMO the xbox was far superior. Especially when you consider that it was MS's first foray in to the home console market.

Personally I hope that both consoles stay neck and neck till the next generation arrives cos ultimately it means a better product that also costs less. There will always be people who snub one or another console for their own reasons but for people like me, competition this fierce can only be beneficial.:smashin:

SheldonLavine

Daerve said:
The problem is the 2 consoles are now so closely matched in terms of specs and features that owning both of them would largely be a waste of money and because the 360 has had a head start and costs less, the PS3 has to offer more and it just doesn't.

i think you hit the nail on the head

Mickey123

TBF I wouldn;'t look at buying an xbox now whn it has been surpassed by the 360.

Has this not got something to do with why you can't sell one.

As for sony storming ahead we should all agree to update this thread in tqwo years time:smashin:

I honestly feel though after the terrible idea that flopped globally of the PSX and all these niggles re the PS3 that no sony fan can deny that Sony are trying to inovate too much and so have lost touch with the real needs of todays gamer.
Enter MS who seem to be listerning.

The latest video from AVForums

Fidelity in Motion's David Mackenzie talks about his work on disc encoding & the future of Blu-ray
Subscribe to our YouTube channel

Full fat HDMI teeshirts

Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom