1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Sony F717 or Nikon 5700

Discussion in 'Photography Forums' started by yimpster, Jul 12, 2004.

1. yimpster

yimpster

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +16
    Any recommendations for a total camera novice. I'll probably just point and shoot.

Cheers

Adam :thumbsup:

2. captain chunk

captain chunk

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    well i have an f717 and i love it , ive yet to find a camera that i like as much (even the f828) i tend to use it on fully auto or center weighted spot metering.

the main down side with both these cameras is going to be the size, taking either of these with you all the time is a bit of a commitment i tend to take mine if im going to a special event otherwise i take my digital compact.

hth

chunk

3. yimpster

yimpster

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +16
    Cheers for the reply mate.
    I did in fact opt for the F717, as at lunchtime i took a wander over to Selfridges.I was able to handle both the Nikon and Sony at the same time.

There was something about the Nikon that oozed class and build quality was excellent. The big drawback for me was the tiny screen, even though it could be rotated to almost any angle - it was way too small.

The sony's was bright and clear and sold it for me. Also the fact that the interface was near identical to my old Sony and i had an existing 128Mb memory stick.

Any ideas how many pics i can fit on a 128 on maximum resolution?

Cheers

Adam :clap:

4. captain chunk

captain chunk

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    i usually work on the idea that you use about 1/2 mb per mega pixel in an image so a 5mp image will be about 2-1/2 mb.

i also looked at the nikon but the thing that swayed me was the info lithium(sp) battery system that sony use.

also i recomend buying your memory sticks from ebay, i picked up a 256mb ms pro for 65inc you will also find the sony cases for under £20 and they are well worth it .

HTH

Chunk

5. yimpster

yimpster

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +16
    Cheers again Captain Chunk, guys like you are what keep this forum high on my favourites list.

I'd been looking at the cases and wasn't sure which one to go for, there was a couple of types, which do you have? Do you recommend a particular dealer as i've only used ebay once.

Also i'd seen the SandiskMemory Stick Pro 256Mb for £50.11 at www.mymemory.co.uk + £2.95 for delivery which seemed pretty good.

Thanks again

Adam

6. captain chunk

captain chunk

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    that is a good price and i wouldnt worry about it not being a sony branded stick either sandisk helped develop the ms pro format with sony.

the case i got is discontinued i think but looks a bit like the new LCS-FHA ,does up with velcro and has room for a spare stick and battery inside.

the most important thing you need though is a skylight uv filter to protect your lens especially as everyone will want to handle your new toy.

chunk

7. yimpster

yimpster

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +16
    Ahem..excuse my ignorance...but what's a skylight UV filter & where can i get one..?

Thanks

Adam :confused:

8. Garrett

Garrett

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4,200
    Have a look here. I have one permanently fixed to both my Canon 50mm and Vivitar 70-210 lenses.

And I think permanently is the word as the last time I tried to get them of they would not come off. :(

9. captain chunk

captain chunk

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    they help the quality of the image as above but most importantly protect your lens and its coatings from scratches and finger prints and like garrett i always have this on my camera.

here is a great site for sony cameras only. some of the pictures are stunning and of a quality i can only dream of

http://www.sonycams.com