1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Sony EX71 Vs. Panasonic RPHJE50

Discussion in 'Headphones, Earphones & Portable Music' started by bushhpd, Aug 14, 2005.

1. bushhpd

bushhpd
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I am looking to buy one of these two sets of headphones in white to go with my ipod, and want to go for whichever provides the best match of:

1) in ear comfort to wear
    2) all round sound quality

Any thoughts as to whether I should go for the Sony's or the Panasonic's?

Cheers!

2. gerbilly

gerbilly

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +94
    I bought the Sony ones the other day, due to the comfort factor and also due to them looking a bit more snazzy than my Sennheiser MX500. After a few reviews on here i was informed that the bass was excellent and superior to the Senns.

I have now had them for at least 4 days and I must say the bass is slightly better but the treble is weaker and I am sad to say they are not as good as the Senn MX500. These do not fit into the ear canal but they do sound better and I dont have to listen to songs as loud as I have to with the Sony earphones.

3. helpneeded

helpneeded

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    About a month ago, I was in exactly the same position you are!!

I owned a pair of blue sony earphones, which lasted years, and the sound quality was brilliant.

I was fortunate to sample both the Pannys and Sonys, and the conclusion was absolute, and made within about 5 seconds.

The Pannys were far superior to the Sonys, the sound was much more crisp, and had better bass and treble sounds!!!

It was £35 a pair when I had them, the Pannys were the best £35 I've spent in ages!!!!!!!

Its personal preference, see if you can sample both pairs and make up your own mind, but if you can't, I'm sure you wont be dissapointed with the Panasonic ones!!!!

Good Luck!!!!

4. bash

bash

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +283
    I had the ex71's until I lost them. I went for the pannys becasue I got them for like £15 on evilbay. They ARE more clear than the sonys which by comparison sound more damp. The bass is a little weaker but cranking it up in whatever system you use it in seems to recify this straight away.

comfort is the same as the Sony's but I find myself switching between medium and large silicone buds.

In retrospect the Sony's ARE more suited to dance music but if you put the bass up a little in the panny's they're the better (and cheaper) choice!

5. JRC

JRC

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    can you hang one of these phones around your neck? (one cable is shorter than the other)..
    ?

6. bash

bash

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +283
    Yes, right cord is longer than left.

7. Steven

Steven
    Senior Moderator

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +6,211
    I have both >>>>>>

Sony EX71s
    : Great ergonomical design, comfortable FOR ME. However bass is tad much and the highs aren't really there. But I paid £10 off eBay so....

The cables is designed so you hang the right channel cable behind you neck. Short plug is good for remotes, but if no remote, I use a wire tie to get the right length with the extension on, which is too long if you have your player in your pocket

But the EX71s are prone to driver failure. Online, everyone says its always the right channel that goes. Funny that. I'm on my 2nd and last pair if it happens again

Pans RPHJE50
    : not as stylish as EX71's but the sound is more clearer. I could hear seperate instuments better, and the sound is more balanced, with a better range

Sony EX81's
    : these are update for 71's. Adds ear hooks for supposed better fit. These do sound better than 71's, with the bass turned down a bit, and a bit better in the highs. It is clearer too, but the Pans nudge it out in budget canal phone range

Price watch:
    Sony EX71 and EX81 from amazon.co.uk for £26 inc free del. I have bought a mem stick with free del, wait 6 days. Or eBay

Pans RPHJE50 from eBay for about £20. Don't buy from high street for rip-off £30-£35