Sony Ericsson W960i - Discussion thread

Hey, where can i get a hold of great free w960i software, or anything worth paying a few quid for?

I really wanna take full advantage of my phone like with the n95!

I can definitely recommend MOMAIL Push Email if you need a push email client that works really well on this handset (just about the only one that does!)

I would also love to know about more software too.

Yeah I have a W960i. Being able to take photos of somebody and draw characture penises all over them before bluetoothing them out to everyone else in the pub in minutes is excellent fun!

Hey guys, sorry have been away for a bit.

For the guy at vodafone where can i get hold of w960i vodafone firmware? that would solve my problems!

I downloaded the "vodafone contract" settings but the internet is still really slow, and not as quick asof the n95, and as for the n95....its a great phone, but it has its problems, it feels tacky and cheaply made, the slider always opens in my pocket and answers calls that i dont wanna answer, it crashes all the time but it has cool features.

I love my w960i, but i feel its lacking in features like some fun drawing applications that would take advantage of touch screen etc!

If you want to check the version of software on your phone and see if you can update it there's information here. Just remember to back up any information you need to keep from the phone (music, pictures etc.) as they might be lost during any update.

edwardpeter
Vodafone UK

If you want to check the version of software on your phone and see if you can update it there's information here. Just remember to back up any information you need to keep from the phone (music, pictures etc.) as they might be lost during any update.

edwardpeter
Vodafone UK

Well the thing is i already have that. my phone isnt using vodafone firmware, but i am looking for a way to get vodafone firmware onto it if thats possible?

Anyone know if you can store names in contacts by first name and not second name as my W960i likes doing.

Its doing my head in as I can't find half my numbers...

A review from Reg Hardware here.

It's hard to shake off a slight sense of disappointment about the W960i. The looks are nothing special, the UI seems a little unresolved and the features list while long is lacking in some important areas. Unless you really want the Symbian OS and Wi-fi, we suggest getting a K850i and sticking an 8GB Memory Stick Micro up its backside. Then you have an 8GB music player with a five-megapixel camera and HSDPA that you can use with one hand. You can't say that of the W960i

Has there been any news of T-Mobile offering this phone on their network?

Got my w960i yesterday from Vodafone...had to buy instore to get the tariff that I wanted but I worked out that the savings I make will be slightly more than the Quidco £90... am on the 300 mins, 250 texts and free Mobile Internet for £35 a month, which seems to be the only £35 tariff that you get the phone for free on :)

First impressions are very good, certainly the touchscreen seems to be more sensitive and more robust than that on my old P900 and P910...uploaded a load of CDs onto it yesterday and wow! The music quality (albeit at 256kbps) was much better than I get from my iRiver H340. I heard backing vocals and other effects in some of my favourite tunes that I never knew existed before!!

The downsides to me (and one can be easily remedied with a trip to SpecSavers) are that:

1) It's a bit of a fingerprint magnet and it doesn't appear to have a cleaning cloth with it

2) I can't use it until Wednesday as my number's porting over!

This is TrustedReviews take on it,

You could argue that because of the flat screen and the cameras I should give the W950i a slightly better score than its predecessor, the W950i. But I don't think this is enough of an improvement. I wish Sony Ericsson would take the very capable UIQ and seriously overhaul the user interface. Please…

I'd disagree with that, a lot. The W950i was never a great phone, it offered so much potential and offered things that the competition couldn't match - such as a 4GB HDD and excellent Walkman software - but was so badly implemented and lacking in so many areas, it never lived up to it's potential.

The W960i fixes pretty much all of it's downfalls and is a very complete phone. Definitely worthy of much more praise than it's predecessor.

I have been waiting for 5-6 weeks for this phone to become available on orange. I call customer services 2 times a week to find out if its available yet but am getting more and more frustrated waiting for it.

What would be a good rival to this phone ?

The thing I most like about it is the huge internal memory (no messing with sd card's) and its music capabilities.

I have been waiting for 5-6 weeks for this phone to become available on orange. I call customer services 2 times a week to find out if its available yet but am getting more and more frustrated waiting for it.

The thing I most like about it is the huge internal memory (no messing with sd card's) and its music capabilities.

iPhone or N95 8GB are the two best current rivals, if large internal storage is important.

The iPhone is the best bet if you want a great interface, excellent look and feel, excellent web browser and great iPod software. But not good if you are a heavy data user (slow data access), want a good camera (it's OK at best), or want things like Bluetooth data transfer and MMS (both of which may come in future software updates, but not at the moment).

The N95 8GB is the best bet if you want great data browsing speeds (HSDPA), a great camera as well as all the other things you'd take for granted, such as Bluetooth data, MMS etc. The screen is very good, the web browser is as good as you'll find away from the iPhone, battery life is good, speed of use is very good and you can still add your own software to it if needed. Multimedia player is good, not the best around by far, but good enough and easy to use.

I've had all three - N95 8GB, then W960i and now iPhone - so the above is based on my experience of them all :)

I waited about a month for orange to put it on, their district managed was emailing me back and forth and eventually said they are not getting it due to some problems with the phone on the network.

So searched the net for a bit and found e2save.com(belongs to CPH apparently) and got my w960i on the orange contract that I wanted with next day delivery and the handset was free.

Link

Hi there

Am new to the forum (just today:hiya:) and I am looking for help re this phone, which I will receive tomorrow:).

Am not sure if there is already a thread running for it ..but as there are 299 pages, within here, and I can't find it yet...I was wondering if someone can redirect me, please, with the link to that thread, if there is one running (I don't mean to be lazy..just if someone happens to know where/if there is one, it would be greatly appreciated). MOD EDIT: merged to main thread

I am looking to find out how I transfer movies to this phone and do I have to use the media programme, which I believe you have to buy via the Sony Erricson website...or is there an alternative. Also, I have been given a div-x programme for it, so does this mean, if I download, onto my pc, div-x movies, and then transfer them, that they will play OK??

I believe the movies get compressed..but I'm not sure how that happens...any ideas?

If I want to put one of my dvd's onto the phone to watch..how do I do this??

I don't know if the above makes sense or not, but basically I would really love to get some help re putting movies onto my new phone which will be with me soon:clap: .

Thankyou for any help, in advance....tis much appreciated.

Cheers,SG:lease: (thanks hutch for finding this thread for me..much appreciated)

how well does the touch screen work on this phone with out the stylus, is it as good as the viewty

thanks

I've got one of these and the touch screen works fine without the stylus(and you don't look like some IT wannabe) as long as you don't have fat fingers.My best advise is to keep it in it's little pouch that comes with it and it will stay brand new.

My touchscreen was fine until the other day when it started playing up and then completely failed. Asked the man in Vodafone if it was a common problem and he said it was the first one he had seen! Guess I was just unlucky.

can RobM83 or anyone else confirm that this phone works ok as a car satnav and what software/bluetooth gps device do people recommend please :)

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom