Sony Ericsson W800i v Samsung D600 - Which one???

I have had my W800i for a couple of days now and am still playing around with the features I made a video on it and it would be lovely to view it on my pc but I can't seem to down load it. Is there anyone out there who could tell me how to do this? I have also noticed a slight crack has appeared on the face of the phone has anyone else encountered this problem?

rayjay said:
I have had my W800i for a couple of days now and am still playing around with the features I made a video on it and it would be lovely to view it on my pc but I can't seem to down load it. Is there anyone out there who could tell me how to do this? I have also noticed a slight crack has appeared on the face of the phone has anyone else encountered this problem?

Just connect it using the USB wire and copy the video from your mem card to your PC using cut and paste. There should definately be no cracks in the front cover - have you dropped it or something?

There's problems with the w800i at the moment, as far as I know, with transferring stuff from PC to memory stick. It won't transfer properly.

Videos are stored in the system folder under *drum roll* video.

Ive been mulling over these 2 phones for weeks. I got the D500 and was so sure that the D600 would be natural choice. After reading some good reports through varoius forums my mind was happy with the D600. I had the chance to 'play' with both phones and the W800 wins hands down. I know its a bit tacky with the colours but for features, its just great. The D600 looks good but the feel of it is awful. The features dont look as groovy as the W800. One thing that i didnt like was that the D600 hasn't got the little rubber grip to slide up! To me, you can catch the keys as you gotta push on them to slide the phone??
So, im now the owner of a W800 as Samsung has took a step back with the D600.

Don't think the D600 is a step back at all, it is a MUCH better phone than the D500 was (I had a D500 previously too).

I'm lucky that I didn't have to make the choice, but if I did, I'd find it VERY hard to choose between the two.

The W800i has the easier to use O/S, and a few more features executed better, but loses a lot of points on the build, wear and tear, and looks.

My W800i is getting rather grubby now, the cream facia is easily marked and is rather delicate. The D600 uses MUCH better materials than the old D500 and the W800i, it's built soooo well, and the screen on it is just jaw droppingly gorgeous!

Still a draw in my eyes, just think different people have different priorities, and some things will bother, and some things won't on either handset.

It's a difficult one this :(

2ii2 said:
Ive been mulling over these 2 phones for weeks. I got the D500 and was so sure that the D600 would be natural choice. After reading some good reports through varoius forums my mind was happy with the D600. I had the chance to 'play' with both phones and the W800 wins hands down. I know its a bit tacky with the colours but for features, its just great. The D600 looks good but the feel of it is awful. The features dont look as groovy as the W800. One thing that i didnt like was that the D600 hasn't got the little rubber grip to slide up! To me, you can catch the keys as you gotta push on them to slide the phone??
So, im now the owner of a W800 as Samsung has took a step back with the D600.

If it helps anyone to make up their minds choosing between the W800i and the D600 I have had the W800i for a couple of weeks now and have found it really a fantastic phone. I have only had Nokia phones before but the W800i is in another league. The Walkman/radio side is a real bonus if you want it and the length of the battery life is unbelieveable. I have taken quite a few photos and had them developed and they came out excellent. I would mention though you have to set the picture quality to fine if you want to print photos otherwise the photos are very grainy. On top of this the phone is easy to live with and really easy to use. I am also now with Vodafone instead of T-Mobile and I find the strength of signal on the move and at home much improved (but of course it could be down to the phone itself). Has anyone else found this to be the case?

hi can some tell me what the button is for on the supplyed sony headphones that come with the w800i as it doesnt seem to do anything.

:oops: its a microphone sorry.

another question how do i record video onto the memory stick

Well after weeks of deciding whether to go for W800i or D600 and finally coming to the decision that I would go for the W800i (it was a close call!!), I spoke to Orange (retentions dept) today to arrange my annual upgrade only to be told that they are out of stock on the W800i (probably till Jan) and out of stock on the D600!!!!

Then he threw a couple of other phones into the equation - the Nokia N70 and the Orange SPV 550. He offered me attractive tariffs on both phones, but to be honest, I know very little about either as I had set my sights on the SE or the Samsung.

Has anyone got/used/know of the N70 or SPV that could shed light on whether either would be worth going for???

The other alternative would be for me to change network and get any phone, which I am reluctant to do because Orange have always been brilliant to deal with.

Plus, are there any other quality phones that I am overlooking??

:lease:

Have you checked the Orange stores? Or Carphone Warehouse, The Link, Phones 4 u etc etc?

T-Mobile did not have the W800i in stock when I ordered it, so I just picked it up from the closest T-Mobile store with it in stock, had to drive for a bloody hour to get there though :mad:

Don't forget the K750i is just like the W800i, better looking, but no 512MB mem stick, and slightly different software.

Could be an option :).

junior the red said:
Well after weeks of deciding whether to go for W800i or D600 and finally coming to the decision that I would go for the W800i (it was a close call!!), I spoke to Orange (retentions dept) today to arrange my annual upgrade only to be told that they are out of stock on the W800i (probably till Jan) and out of stock on the D600!!!!

Then he threw a couple of other phones into the equation - the Nokia N70 and the Orange SPV 550. He offered me attractive tariffs on both phones, but to be honest, I know very little about either as I had set my sights on the SE or the Samsung.

Has anyone got/used/know of the N70 or SPV that could shed light on whether either would be worth going for???

The other alternative would be for me to change network and get any phone, which I am reluctant to do because Orange have always been brilliant to deal with.

Plus, are there any other quality phones that I am overlooking??

:lease:

I had this problem which I went to upgrade my phone I decided on a W800i after a lot of thought and trying the other handsets available but T-Mobile did not have any in stock until December. Decided to try another network as by this time I really wanted this phone and got a good deal at Carphone Warehouse. Vodafone 18 months contract anytime 200 first 16 months half price. I don't know whether they are still running this but it was the best I could find. Incidentially the reception is much better on Vodafone than on t-Mobile. This could be an option.

Cheers for the advise!

Was going to go to an Orange shop but I don't think I would get the same tariff deal as the retentions dept at Orange could give me.

They are the dept designed to keep existing customers going elsewhere, so you tend to get what you want (if your monthly bill is high enough!!!)

I got offered 500 mins (xnet) + 400 texts for £30 a month over 18 months with the first 6 months 1/2 price line rental. I just didn't want to be tied in to an 18 month contract!
The other offer was 500 mins (xnet) + 500 texts for £45 a month over 12 months and they would credit my account with £100

I would get these deals with the W800i and D600 (if in stock....!!!) along with the Nokia n70 and Orange SPV 550

Alternatively, Carephone Warehouse offered me the N70 free with the '3' Network on a 12 month tariff for £45 a month, with the first 6 months half price. Included were 600 mins, 400 texts and a bunch of inclusive 3g downloads, etc. Plus keeping my existing number. The problem is, I much prefer Orange to 3 as a network!

Has anyone got any spec on the N70? Looks a good phone
:thumbsup:

Hi, apologies if I cover the same ground - just skimmed this thread...
I've recently upgraded from an SPV500 (predecessor to the 550) to the W800 (one of 2 left in my local Carphone Warehouse). I found the SPV to suffer from poor build quality - dust under the screen and problems with distorted sound during calls (I think the speaker blew). Shame really, as the mp3 abilities were not bad (thru supplied earphones), the screen (without dust!) was fantastic, and the "rocker button" navigation was inspired (but I think this has been removed from the 550). I'm not sure if the build issues have been resolved in this newer model, best you try the likes of the Modaco website to find out.
I have been very impressed with the W800 so far- The one I got from Carphone Warehouse was unbranded with an Orange SIM and a couple of the preloaded pics have french filenames - but its no big deal for such a truly excellent piece of kit. At the time (end of Oct), the Orange shop told me that there was a waiting list a month long for the W800 with them. Play do the same headphones for less than £20 and a 512 card is around £50 if you decide to go the D750 route.

Thanks.
Funny, but just looking at reviews of SPV550. They seemed to have ironed out some of the problems with the SPV500. The operating system apparently is a bit on the slow side though. Was that the case with the spv500? Just seems a poor man's W800i to me...!!

The SPV500 kept things "running" after use, it was a bit of a pain moving back to the Application manager to keep shutting down these apps, which had to be done as these apps used up the memory, which slowed the OS down...
Finding things like the Apps manager was also a little fiddly- this was a phone that really had to be "learned". Using Bluetooth to transfer files was also quite traumatic...
I wouldn't call it a Poor Mans version of the w800- I think its really aimed at a different market.
Personally, I much prefer the ease of use and build quality (so far) of the w800.

I have to say, that I had really set my heart on the W800i. If I changed number or network, I could probably get one tomorrow. But on upgrades, there is a 2 month wait. That's why Orange offered the SPV550 and the Nokia n70. Don't suppose you've tried the n70???? I am even starting to think about the SE P910, but it really is more an organiser phone and a bit bulky! Frustrating!!!! Wish either the W800i was in stock with Orange, or the Nokia n91 was out sooner than April.....

I too had set my heart on the W800 - I waited a few weeks and had to search a bit. The SE P910 (like the SPV) is a Smartphone which may not be to your tastes,although I have no personal experience of this phone, the N70 or the D600, so its unfair for me to comment- but do you really want to spend a year with a phone that wasn't your first choice?

junior, the deal they offer you at the retentions department should still stand regardless of where you get the phone from, all they have to do is to reserve it against your account, and once you pick up the handset from elsewhere it activates the new tarrif.

This is how it works with Vodafone and T-Mobile, should be the same with Orange unless they are practicing customer alienation techniques? :) They will try to push you onto phones with higher profit margins as much as possible, don't let them win :)

I've been going through the same dilemma - W800/D600, and then keep thinking about the SPV C550 (which is an awesome deal at the moment - orange are doing it free with a 512 meg card and all the stereo cables).

Ultimately though, the W800 is just the right package for me - one of the best cameras, generally decent battery life, good music player, etc.

Heres hoping they (O2) have some in stock when I order in a few weeks time!

Well folks, after weeks of deliberation, disappointment and more deliberation, I have finally solved my upgrade problem with Orange!!!

With Orange not having the w800i or d600 and with me really not fancying the N70 of SPV, I decided to opt for the SE K750i.....

But, to soften the blow I managed to wangle with Orange retentions dept a 12 month contract for £25 p/m with 500 mins + 500 texts. They also credited my account with £85 and added a further £40 so that I could buy a memory stick duo card!!!!

All in all I think it was a good deal, and even though I didn't get the w800i which was my 1st choice, I got the nearest thing to it, with cash and a really good tariff for a year!

Phone should arrive Friday, so might just let you folks know what I think of it......

In the meantime - much appreciation for all your help

:clap:

Orange DO have the W800i in stock...:confused: - mines arriving tomorrow. Orderded from them over the phone at 10am this morning...

Family Guy said:
Orange DO have the W800i in stock...:confused: - mines arriving tomorrow. Orderded from them over the phone at 10am this morning...

I think the stock of w800s they have are for new contracts who get priority unfortunately over existing customers who wanna upgrade...

Shame really - wish it was one rule for all!! Nevertheless, enjoy your w800i - it looks an outstanding phone!!

:smashin:

junior the red said:
Well folks, after weeks of deliberation, disappointment and more deliberation, I have finally solved my upgrade problem with Orange!!!

With Orange not having the w800i or d600 and with me really not fancying the N70 of SPV, I decided to opt for the SE K750i.....

But, to soften the blow I managed to wangle with Orange retentions dept a 12 month contract for £25 p/m with 500 mins + 500 texts. They also credited my account with £85 and added a further £40 so that I could buy a memory stick duo card!!!!

All in all I think it was a good deal, and even though I didn't get the w800i which was my 1st choice, I got the nearest thing to it, with cash and a really good tariff for a year!

Phone should arrive Friday, so might just let you folks know what I think of it......

In the meantime - much appreciation for all your help

:clap:

I have had both, in fact still have both as Voda never collected the W800, and the K750i is definitely the better phone. enjoy!

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom