1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Sony Ericsson S700i & Sat Nav?

Discussion in 'Mobile Phones Forum' started by Apnomis, Jan 31, 2005.

Tags:
  1. Apnomis

Apnomis

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +25
    I love the look of the new S700 and it has some great near PDA features and a cracking digital camera etc etc. But I was wondering with all that modern technology and lovely big screen does it have an sat nav capability?

I would really like a phone/PDA combo, but if I were to combine a PDA into the phone it would need to be able to support sat nav, as that would be my main use of a PDA.

I know the likes of the Orange Smartphone and Ericsson P900 can have sat nav, and even the Nokia 6600 is compatible with TomTom Mobile, but I don't really like the design of these phones. I did actually consider the 6600 for it's features and good camera etc before I found out about the sat nav thing, and I'm sure it would be a fine phone, but when you compare it to the stylish S700i it looks like an ugly brick!

Now the folded down S700 looks much more like a PDA than the rather more mobile looking 6600, so it got me to thinking if the 6600 can have sat nav, why can't the S700 as that seems much more PDA inspired.

Could someone let me know if sat nav on the S700 is possible, and what software etc I would need. It would probably make it the perfect phone for me if it had the option, I'd probably go out and buy one tomorrow!

2. Apnomis

Apnomis

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +25
    Am I to take that as a no then?

I've been looking into it and it seems I will need a Symbian OS in the phone to use things like GPS. So is it impossible for the S700 to have it? That's a pitty I really liked the phone.

Next question then are there any nice Symbian phones out or on the horrizon in the same sort of design and styling as the S700? I don't like any of the bulky more PDA then phone designs out at the moment, I want something that looks a little more stylish!

I also don't need all the word/excel viewers and things, I basically want a phone that has at least a 1mp camera, is compatible with GPS, and looks more like a phone than a PDA - so not to big or bulky, oh and some style points would be nice, as I've said I thinkg the Nokia 6600 looks like a bit of a brick...

It seems to me that phones are in two camps - 1> fun personal use ones with entertainment features like camera, games, mp3, radio or 2> very business like phones, boring, bulky, with lots of "mobile office" utlities I don't require. Unfortunately I GPS seems to sit squarely in phone type 2. So I need a type "1" phone, with just one type "2" feature - GPS.

Any ideas?

3. Apnomis

Apnomis

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +25
    Not much call for mobile GPS then I take it? Seems like a great innovation to me, but I've always been a lover of gadgets!

I've seen that the Nokia 3230 is coming out soon and as well as looking quite nice and being relatively small it has a lot of "entertainment" features like camera, games, FM radio, MP3 etc, but uses the Symbian OS and has the same size screen as the 6600, so I'm confident that it will be added to the TomTom Mobile compatibility list when it's released.

On the subject of TomTom, I take it that it's a program stored in the external memory? I've seen one called WayFinder which appears to be a rival mobile GPS product but it appears that it connects to the maps via GPRS connection which seems expensive to me, and what if you drive into a no signal area, would you loose your map/location?

4. Dubster

Dubster

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +113