1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Sony Ericsson P900 FREE

Discussion in 'Shopping, Deals, Discounts & Bargains' started by Ekko Star, Dec 6, 2003.

1. Ekko Star

Ekko Star

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +399
    These are available O2 Instore only.

FREE FREE FREE

£45 per month on a 400mins Xnetwork tariff with 50SMS.

First 3 months you also get a 1200 SMS bolt-on FREE.

After 3 months you can downgrade in usual fashion to a lower tariff should you so wish.

Offer I think is over tomorrow so you gotta be quick, I know I was !

Major bargain for a SUPOIB phone and I have an 8910i and a P800 already !:D :D :D

2. Gliese 581c

Gliese 581c

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +523
    There's no such thing as a FREE phone. Your monthly contract is paying for it.

3. Ekko Star

Ekko Star

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +399
    Yes we all know contracts sudsidise handset price.

But you seem not be comparing like for like. Have you not noted the fact that this phone costs nowt on this contract and compared it to the +handset price of it on a similar priced/equivalent tariff from another network ?

eg Vodaphone charge £280 for the handset on a £50 400 mins Xnet monthly tariff.

CPW charge £319 for the handset on the very same O2 £45 contract !

Or......try going into an O2 store very soon when this offer is gone and getting this phone (if you can get it) on the very same £45 O2 contract.

errrrr.......That's FREE in my book.

4. Dave777

Dave777

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +8
    Ekko, please have my thanks for this as it's not advertised anywhere I could find. I was looking for one of these, and was looking at paying 300 quid (on a lower contract), but now I have 2 P900's on O2 400 for 3 months, then I'll drop the level down. They were out of stock last week when I went in, but I picked them up today for my wife and I. They are charging now. I can't wait!!

Thanks again Ekko, this is just the sort of thing that makes these forums fantastic! (thanks Spectre)

Cheers

Happy Xmas

Dave

5. Ekko Star

Ekko Star

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +399
    No worries Dave, that's what these forums are all about, to help each other out.

O2 stores were not advertising it, you had to ask as it was a very low profile offer, ie all phones free on a £45 contract. The P900 fell through the loop hole on this offer, but at least the stores honoured it.

It's an absolutely sublime phone and one of the best deals on a 'gadget' I've had for a long time. Without doubt THE best phone on the market.

After a year on the contract I have worked out that the very minimum you can pay is £270.

That is (£45x3) + (£15x9) = £270.

After that you can jack in the contract and keep the phone anyway. So £270 will buy you a years contract and the phone to keep !!!!

To put that into perspective this handset costs just under £600 offline........ and that's if you can get hold of one right now !!!!

6. woody67

woody67

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +13
    I got one from my local O2 shop.

I can't find any mention in the T&C of having to wait 3 months before I can downgrade the tarrif.

Do you know where this is mentioned?

7. Dave777

Dave777

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +8
    I haven't looked, but the assistant manager confirmed it to me.

Cheers

Dave

I hope he's is right!!!!!!!!

8. JonathanKnight

JonathanKnight
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    This offer was still on yesterday (15th Dec) when I got mine. I was told that I could downgrade after three months. I was already on the O2 £20 tariff so I have a £300 phone for £120 (not bad). As I had to start a new contact which means paying twice in the first month it cost me £45 + 3 X £25 extra tariff. I am now waiting for my PAC code to transfer my number and all will be sorted.:D

As was said before this deal is not advertised in the shop, I had to ask for it. I was told I could have any phone except for the PDAs ( the P900 looks pretty much like a pda to me though).

9. hddvdman

hddvdman

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    somethere over there but not near here, there
    Ratings:
    +155
    got mine - thanks a million, selling my p800 on ebay..

10. Eagerbeaver

Eagerbeaver

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I went out to get a P900 on the £45/month deal and was also told I could have a 2nd one free if I register it as a 2nd handset for an extra £13.99/month.

So I've got one for me, one for my partner with 400 mins/month to share for the bargain price of £58.99/month

11. millsy

millsy
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    Could you let me know where you got the second one free please. I am picking up mine (from local o2 store) on Thursday but was told I couldnt have the P900 as the second phone for the deal you are on. I will try telling them where you got yours from and see if I get one.

thanks

Ian

12. Oddbodd

Oddbodd

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +81
    Hi all, I would be interested where you got it aswell Eagerbeaver, it sounds like a great deal. I just had a look at the spec. of that phone on the web and :eek: , how bigs the battery for god sake, it must be like a suitcase ;)
    Cheers Oddbodd

13. Eagerbeaver

Eagerbeaver

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I got mine from The Trafford Centre but I got the last 2. They say they don't expect stock for a while. I queried the offer with the girl that served me, she checked with thw Manager and he said yes the P900 is included.

14. millsy

millsy
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    A friend of mine went into the bolton shop and spoke to a different person than I did. She told him you probably CANT downgrade after 3 months. I was wondering if anyone had done this with other phones and how sure you where you can do it. He did think she didnt seem to know because she said "its highly unlikely that you can downgrade", I am picking it up tomorrow and will want to downgrade after 3 months.

thanks

Ian

15. Eagerbeaver

Eagerbeaver

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    At £58.99/month for 2 P900s 400 minutes a month 1200 texts for the first 3 months, free GPRS until the end of Jan then 50 texts a month thereafter I don't think I want to downgrade.

16. millsy

millsy
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    Accept I was told I couldnt have 2 P900 on the deal you where on. When I picked mine up today I was told there is none in stock anyways (apart from mine), so I guess you where one of the lucky ones. Cant complain though I am very happy with mine. But I will try and downgrade to the one below or 2 down from the £45 at the end of 3 months. As I dont use all them minutes.

Ian

17. PrinceAlbert

PrinceAlbert
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Been trying to get hold of one of these phones in North West, apparently they are like gold dust. Anyone know of a shop that has some of these in stock on this deal ?

Cheers

18. uczmeg

uczmeg

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +45
    Every O2 shop I have tried is out, but expecting more stock. I have 2 in Nottigham going to call me when they do.

They seemed pretty confident that the offer would be on for quite some time yet.

Cheers
    Marc

19. Eagerbeaver

Eagerbeaver

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Warrington had 2 on Wednesday.

20. PrinceAlbert

PrinceAlbert
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Has anyone seen the auctions on eBay with people selling a link to a website where you can get these phones free. Anyone know how this works or the site ? I have spent days doing searches to see if i can find anything and the only thing that i can come up with is the phone free on some Orange tarrifs. I still seem to be having loads of trouble getting it from O2 due to the phones being on back order, etc...

Anyone know when the O2 offer is supposed to end, i don't fancy going on Orange.

Cheers

Wayne

21. woody67

woody67

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +13
    The O2 offer does not have a defined end date.

Is there anything to stop you ordering and paying for the phone in an O2 shop and then just waiting for the delivery?

That would guarantee you advantage of the offer, and I understand stocks are expected early January

22. PrinceAlbert

PrinceAlbert
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Unfortunately the O2 shop wouldn't let me do this. They said that they have none in stock and they are like gold dust. I am on a waiting list (next in list) but they couldn't guarantee that i would get it on the offer if it wasn't running when the phones became available.

Oh Well.

23. uczmeg

uczmeg

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +45
    The Link are doing the P900 free (well for 1p) on Orange on the £45 and above tariffs.

Online has no stock currently (but haven't checked today. Just add it to the basket to see) and won't let you order, but keep trying as stocks are expected soon and the deal is the same in the shops if you can be bothered to ring around your local ones.

Yesterday I did ring up one decent, cheap, online retailer to see if they would match the Link and they did. My P900 arrived this morning!

A note, on O2 you have to stick to the tariff for 3 months before you can downgrade. So cheapest total cost if you are going for the phone not the minutes = 3 x £45 + 9 x £15 = £270

On Orange it is 4 months. So 4 x £45 + 8 x £10 (high speed data tariff) = £260

Of course you might want the minutes, at £45 both of these is 400 cross net minutes with loads of extras.

Cheers
    Marc

24. Ekko Star

Ekko Star

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +399
    I take it on Orange the phone comes "branded" with the logo ?

25. uczmeg

uczmeg

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +45
    Yes it has a small Orange logo on the bezel at the bottom.

You also get an extra bezel for use if you remove the flip. This has a logo too. But this suggests you should be able to get very cheap non branded replacements much the same way you can buy new a stylus.

As with the 02 phone there is some customisation to the firmware too, but nothing that cripples the phone like the phones on Vodaphone Live does. These can be removed in a flash update if you ask your SE service centre nicely. I will be doing that soon...

Cheers
    Marc

26. PrinceAlbert

PrinceAlbert
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    It seems to be the case where the phones are very hard to get hold of. O2 have also said that if you order the phone and the offer of the phone free on the £45 tariff is stopped, then you will not then be able to get the phone on the offer (i'm guessing that its subject to availability).

I would prefer to get onto the O2 network instead of orange but all the online shops are not offering the same offers as in the O2 high street stores. Shame :(

Wayne

27. uczmeg

uczmeg

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +45
    Costs £10 to get it remotely unlocked (you do need a T28 cable).

I'll be using my Vodafone sim in it...

Cheers
    Marc

28. woody67

woody67

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +13
    My Orange sim works in my p900 from O2 - i understand that all O2 phones come unlocked.

The O2 p900 has some firmware modifications and so you can not do the online firmware update from SE. I think you have to get a SE service centre to flash the phone to get rid of the O2 modification.

There is nothing in my O2 contract to specify a downgrade time limit. Apparently it is just what they tell their customers when you phone up to change tarriffs, but if you press them then there is nothing contractually that they can do to stop you.

However, the 400 free texts, MMS and free gprs would be lost - which is good value and would be a waste.

29. swifty

swifty

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    i got one of these yesterday from the bolton store. bloke said he couldn't believe how many of these had gone in the last week or so with it being xmas and everyone being skint. think i got last one which makes it all the better. said i shouild be able ot downgaade easy enough after 3 months

swifty

30. PrinceAlbert

PrinceAlbert
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I have been informed by the O2 store in Bolton that the offer of the free phone has now finished. I therefore tried to get one from The Link @ 1p on Orange OVP 400 tariff and guess what, yup, they are out of stock aswell. Tried Trafford Center & Oldham.

Best offer i have found since is OVP 400 tariff and P900 for £ 69.99. May hang on to see if The Link are going to get some in though.