1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Sony/Ericsson P800

Discussion in 'Mobile Phones Forum' started by Splim, Apr 9, 2003.

Tags:
  1. Splim

Splim

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Anyone got one of these. I am thinking of buying but am held back by the cost (although I am trying to justify it with MP3 and document reader abilities). Can someone tell me there experiences\thoughts on this phone?

Many thanks!

2. kennydies

kennydies

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4
    I have got one and I love it. It is a bit on the bulky side but not for what it has on it.

Try:

www.onestopphoneshop.co.uk.

If you change the tarriff for a higher price it alters the price of the phone but you have to stay on that tarriff for 4 months on Orange and 3 months on other networks.

They have adjusted their prices at the moment but I got the phone for £50 on a £42.50 tarriff

3. SteveCac

SteveCac

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
  4. Fartpants

Fartpants

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I have had mine for a few months now, it was a special import. I don't find it bulky. I have also upgraded the memory stick duo to 64Mb.

Now and again (every few weeks) it might freeze up, but generally reliable.

I have it on a lower tarrif as well, so paid more for the phone.

It does what I want, and I am happy with it.

5. spicy_fajita

spicy_fajita

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi guys,

I'm thinking of upgrading and was wondering can this phone download software to allow it to act as a remote control. I've heard of pdas doing this and was thinking of getting a pda as well but this could be a good go between (Outlook compatible right?). It'd be cool to have a neat little office phone and universal remote for my growing number of electrical devices.

Spicy

6. starshiptrooper

starshiptrooper

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    :hiya: Splim..............

On 11March bought a P800 from Carphone Warehouse for £179.00 inc trade-in.Cheapest deal around or so I thought.
    Found out that CANCEL ans RETURN buttons did not function.

Returned it and got new replacement following day. Guess what same buttons did NOT WORK plus some Numeric buttons so replaced again...............yes you have guessed the CANCEL AND RETURN buttons did NOT work.

So...........in the space of 1 week I had 3 re-placements. Now I can accept once but to have 3 fail in one week is beyond a joke.
    To add insult to injury it went for repair 2 weeks ago and today I heard it was bbeing sent to Sony/Er. for Repair and would not be ready for another 11 days.

Tomorrow I will tell Car/W.hse to STUFF their phone and ask for refund.So.............to answer your question.........DO-NOT BUY THE P800 UNLESS YOU WANT PROBLEMS. THE P800 IS FLAWED.
    And you can't even access Hotmail e-mail from it.Unlike a PDA you cannot Back-up or Restore on the phone itself. Some phone.

Get the new NEC and GO G3...........you'll be better off.

George

7. Dick Scratcher

Dick Scratcher

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hmmm, my P800 has no problems whatsoever. Got it on Orange, paid £250 down and £25 a month. Does everything it says on the box and I managed to make a cool Rolling Stones 'Satisfaction' ringtone that I cobbled together with Soundforge, just to see if I could do it. Top moby and no mistake.

8. Splim

Splim

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks for all your comments guys (good and bad). I have yet to find the phone at the right price but I will be purchasing very shortly!

9. museumsteve

museumsteve

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,067
    got one and love it.:)
    I paid full whack cos I refuse to go on a contract again.;)
    Anyway, I downloaded Opera web browser for it and it's as good (using GSM) as my Nokia Communicator was.
    Only downer for me was the fact that Vodafone's literature was a little misleading as the phone doesn;t support Vodafone Live java games (so no Puzzle Bobble for now).
    The games that come with it really show what is on the way, polygons and a nice framerate.:)
    The phone is well built, first thing I did was to ditch the flip and enable the virtaul keypad..
    I've had no problems at all with the phone and highly recommend it, camera is much better than my current GX-10 (which is up for sale as we speak) and after a call today I understand GPRS web browing will be live on 1st June so I'll be well sorted.:)

PS. Only other issue I do have is that email accounts for it wont support Hotmail.:(

10. starshiptrooper

starshiptrooper

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    :hiya: Well Guys...............

I'm SOOOOOOOOO glad you are all having Fun with your P800's....After 3 DUD replacements and still NOT working I don't feel inclined to recommend this Hybrid to anyone.

Have still not heard from Sony/E. which does'nt surprise as with All large companies they are nothing more than Box-Shiffters. Customer service back-up is tediously horrendous. I have just had a whole month of Technical disasters.

My comment still stands............you better off with G3 (if that ever gets off the ground) and does'nt end up as WAP did or did'nt.

Cynical.............You betja.

Best wishes to y'all.:)

11. rct

rct

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3
    Personally I'll be waiting for the Siemens SX1 http://www.club-siemens.com/mobiles/sx1.shtml

I saw both the P800 and the SX1 at CeBit in Hanover last month and the SX1 was a lot better. Also Siemens generally have better software and quality control than SE. I've used Nokia, Sony, Motorola, Ericsson, Sony-Ericsson and Siemens.... so far only Siemens phones haven't given me problems. :D (They could do with adding a time stamp on dialled calls though :rolleyes: )

12. Dick Scratcher

Dick Scratcher

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
  13. rct

rct

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3
    Naw it's lovely! :laugh: Seriously, the design shocked me at first, but once I saw it for real and played with it for awhile I was hooked - the thing is just so well built :smashin:

14. starshiptrooper

starshiptrooper

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    :hiya: Dick.............No not Ugly..........I have seen it.......One helluva phone............Very Captain Scarlett Retro and damn Sexy in a beam me up ,Scotty kinda way.............it's what yur right hand fingers do best !!!!!!!!!!!!

Need to find someone else with a Picture phone though.........let alone someone with a G3...........how else can I Video Chat ?????

Oh well..........F.A.B and Out.

15. captaindobie

captaindobie

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +21
    I have had a Siemens SL45 for a couple of year now and have been very very happy with it. I will definitely stick with Siemens when i upgrade later this year. I too am very excited about the SX1. I think this phone look great! Does anyone here have any idea regarding the cost of this lovely phone?

16. kwijibo

kwijibo
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    I have a P800 and overall am quite happy with it. Couple of minor things though that hopefully someone will be able to help with.

First , I have saved images from the web and transfered them to the P800. Fine so far. However, when I try to save them as wall paper on the phone, the image is stretched to fill the display. The proportions of the image all change and the image looks crap. Is there a feature to tile / stretch/ centre, like you can with a pc?? Very frustrating.

Also I cannot send or receive any emails from/to the phone as it is sync'd to the pc. It will only send or receive when it is connected to the pc, which kinda defeats the object. If it is connected to the pc, I would use the pc to send my emails! I have turned off the sync for emails, but it makes no difference. Any ideas??:confused:

17. rct

rct

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3
    It's likely to be similarly priced to the SE P800 (perhaps slightly lower) at launch (August/September) which is why I upgraded my SL42i to the excellent S55 a fortnight ago, I'll get the SX1 when it's more easily affordable.

18. rct

rct

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3
    Why not use the superb Irfanview to scale/ resize the images beforehand, it will also resample and preserve aspect ratio if required :)

19. kevb

kevb

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3
    I must say the P800 does everything i'm looking for in a Phone/PDA but the sim free price is very expensive. I don't supose the price is going to drop that greatly in the near future tho.

20. Messiah

Messiah

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +338
    Yeah, but have you tried using it with a BlueTooth headset. What a faff!! You have to press several buttons into the menu to get it to transfer the call to the headset. Kinda defeats the no wires thing really. I really like the S55 (apart from the temperemental number 7 key - are they all like that?) but as I us e a BT headset quite a lot I just couldn't be doing with it so it's back in it's box now replaced by my trusty Nokia 6310 :(

21. rct

rct

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3
    Moderators... sorry this is going so off topic :blush:

If needs be I'll continue using PMs. Bluetooth can be assigned to a single keypress. When active, call transfer takes place automatically. Your 7 key shouldn't be tempermental at all ! http://www.club-siemens.net/forum/index.php Do come and chat! :)

22. Messiah

Messiah

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +338
    ooH. Yes please, tell me how. I'l nip over to club-siemns now. C u there.

23. rags

rags

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +324
    Just to add my thoughts on this. I have 6 Vodafone contracts in my house most of which come in with high monthly bills - I get to upgrade at next to nothing on each of the contracts - as a result I get to use most of the decent phones on the market.

In the last 6 months I have owned / used -

- Panasonic GD 87
    - Siemems S55
    - Sharp GX10
    - Nokia 6610 (just got this from CW)
    - Nokia 7250

Of the two Nokias ths 6610 is the better phone overall. The 7250 looks cheap and feels cheap + the keys are the worst I have ever tried. It's currently back in the box as no one wants to use the damn thing. Both Nokia have sh**ty screens though.

I loved the GD87 when I first got it - great screen and camera. A star product overall but the interface is not as usable as the best Nokia's. The GX10 was similar but the camera and screen was not as good and the phone is slightly bigger than the GD87 (+looks more plasticky but I think it is better for games).

The S55 is the first Siemens I have ever owned and it is a gem in everyway. No bugs, delays - everything works like a dream.

Now moving on to the P800. I updraded the last of my contracts for this one and luckily Vodafone gave it to me for £30. I have only had it for two days and I already thinks its dreadful. The phone clearly needs a lot more development.

Problems / issues I have noted so far with the P800 include - no contrast adjustment, lack of options to personalise, no T9 text messaging, no message delivery reports, cant play MPEG files unless they are MPEG4, screen is rubbish when compared with the GD87 (pictures look pixellated with poor colour), the key pad which I have now removed was unresponsive, often slow to respond to screen presses, the phone has already frozen once. Also the dreaded jog dial has made a come back.

Good points - good mp3 playback and has a decent chess game.

SE should be given credit for what they have tried to achieve but they could have done so much better........ I wouldnt pay the silly prices they are charging in the shops for it.

24. NeoBlade

NeoBlade

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I'm quite happy with my P800... It has frozen on me about 3 times thus far but everything else is stella. Installed MAME on it too although it would have been nice to add a virtual D-Pad to the bottom left so you can use your stylus on it. Bluetooth works like a charm too so sending images/media to other phones and to the PC is a breeze.

In terms of apps I'd like to see a decent freeware word processor and maybe a Flash player since MPEG4 encoders are hard to come by. Also, has anyone found a place that sells the duo memory sticks at a decent price? I want the 128MB card but I'm told it hasn't been released yet...

Other than that though I can't complain with its list of features, add that to the ever growing development scene and things are looking good for the P800.

25. carpetmonster

carpetmonster

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    My boss has ordered me a P800 I should get it next week, sadly every person I have spoken to have either said yes or no in regards that you can download a flash player to the fun. Does anyone know?

26. Orbital

Orbital

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4
    Hi all,

As I've just posted elseware in this forum I sold my P800 after owning it for about 4 weeks. Terrible battery life if you use the camera or listen to a few MP3's. I also agree about the lack of profile's etc. One of the other big problems for me was the size of the damn thing. I was used to my T68 and being able to just put it in my pocket. Do that with the P800 and it's a case of "are you just pleased to see me? Or is that a P800 in your pocket?"

It's a shame, as I really wanted to like the phone. The camera on it was one of the best I've used on a mobile. I got some cracking pictures from it. I also couldn't fault the MP3 playback (needs a better player mind you) and the ability to use WAV files for ring tones was cool (then again my old Sagem can do that! :)) I think the imminent OS upgrade is going to solve a large part of the bugs and glitches including the lack of profiles and T9. They say that the upgrade will also give the phone video capture and playback capabilities like the 3650. We shall wait and see.

Cheers

Dave

27. Squiffy

Squiffy
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +5,108
    Is the OS upgrade going to be for existing phones, or for a new model of the P800?

28. Orbital

Orbital

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4
    Hi Squiffy,

You'll be able to upgrade your existing phone. I'd imagine it'll be the same sort of process you had with the T68. Where you could take it into certain Carphone Warehouses and get it flashed to T68i spec. I don't know if they would charge you for this service (they didn't with my T68) but then again the P800 is a lot more complex phone, so the process of upgrading might be more involved and thus they may charge.

Cheers

Dave

29. Squiffy

Squiffy
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +5,108
    Thanks for that Dave.

I don't actually have any specific problems with the phone, other than I can't get eMame to work. :confused:

If its free, I'll get it done. If not, then I don't think I'll bother....

30. NeoBlade

NeoBlade

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Is there any way to change the SMS recieved tune by any chance? I found out where it was located but I couldn't delete the file or replace it. You can change the alarm but I'm not too fussed with that. The SMS recieved tune is just too quiet for my liking...