Sony Edge LED: Hang Your Head Sony!

DanM30

Established Member
Reaction score
Hi there,

I'd been waiting nearly 3 months for my 52" EX703. I finally got it the other day and I'm sorry to say that I have the dreaded cone issue! I'm Gutted as I love everything else about this set and have spent the last few days trying to decide whether I could live with. It's not noticable during movies ( courtesy of the black bands at the top and bottom of the screen), nor during gaming, but during general viewing it's very obvious, especially whilst panning on sports. Watching the world cup has been a painful experience!

Honestly, how can Sony let this rubbish out the door? This forum is littered with similar complaints on their LED TV's. Do they not quality check their products? Shame on them!!!:thumbsdow

Anyway, I've now decided it's got to go, but the other issue I have is that I got this TV through my brother-in-law who works for Sony. The cost of the TV was deducted from his salary. I don't think I'm gonna be able to walk into a Sony Centre and demand my money back given the way it was paid for am I? Therefore, I assume I will be allowed to choose another Sony TV of equivalent value. I guess this means I will have £1,699 store credit to use. So what should I get? I really love the slim design of the LED sets, but do they all suffer from this coning issue. Or have I just been unlucky? I mean are there LED sets that are fine out there? I suspect not.

So assuming I end up having to avoid LED, what the best bet? The 55" EX500 might be and option. I've been reading some good things about this set. So c'mon guys, what do you think I should do?

Cheers,

Dan

well if you wanna be absolutely sure that you re not gonna have the issue then go for the ex503 which is ccfl.well if you r risky give it a try but you cant be sure

We've got the 40EX703 and don't seem to have the issues. No cones as far as I can see, but I'm no expert, and evenly lit.

So it would seem that not all sets are effected. Although reading the threads it would seem that we've been lucky.

Hi there,

I'd been waiting nearly 3 months for my 52" EX703. I finally got it the other day and I'm sorry to say that I have the dreaded cone issue! I'm Gutted as I love everything else about this set and have spent the last few days trying to decide whether I could live with. It's not noticable during movies ( courtesy of the black bands at the top and bottom of the screen), nor during gaming, but during general viewing it's very obvious, especially whilst panning on sports. Watching the world cup has been a painful experience!

Honestly, how can Sony let this rubbish out the door? This forum is littered with similar complaints on their LED TV's. Do they not quality check their products? Shame on them!!!:thumbsdow

Anyway, I've now decided it's got to go, but the other issue I have is that I got this TV through my brother-in-law who works for Sony. The cost of the TV was deducted from his salary. I don't think I'm gonna be able to walk into a Sony Centre and demand my money back given the way it was paid for am I? Therefore, I assume I will be allowed to choose another Sony TV of equivalent value. I guess this means I will have £1,699 store credit to use. So what should I get? I really love the slim design of the LED sets, but do they all suffer from this coning issue. Or have I just been unlucky? I mean are there LED sets that are fine out there? I suspect not.

So assuming I end up having to avoid LED, what the best bet? The 55" EX500 might be and option. I've been reading some good things about this set. So c'mon guys, what do you think I should do?

Cheers,

Dan

Disappointing to read the 52" EX703 has the same "cones" that the 40" 703 has. I posted about my experience of the 40" EX703 here:

http://www.avforums.com/forums/11930616-post174.html

Having rejected a 40EX703 myself I spent a fair bit of time in the Watford and Stevenage Sony centres looking at all their 40" LED sets and all of them had the "cones to some degree or other. Including one in JL the little sample that I did was 9 sets out of 9 including the one I rejected!

There are some users posting that the 46" LEDS don't have the problem but there were non in stock when I was checking so I have not been able to verify that myself.

I now have a 40" EX503 and it has a very uniform screen, however it does suffer slightly with banding. I posted about it here:

http://www.avforums.com/forums/12344801-post964.html

http://www.avforums.com/forums/12364037-post996.html

Taking everything into account I am happy enough with the EX503. There is a lot to to like about both sets, however the "cones" were an absolute no no for me on the 40" LEDS. Can't believe Sony don't value their reputation more.

Last edited:

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom