1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Sony ECM-HS1 Microphone

Discussion in 'Camcorders, Action Cams & Video Editing Forum' started by smason5, Aug 14, 2002.

1. smason5

smason5

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Has anyone used the ECM-HS1 Zoom/Gun Microphone?
    I've been using it on my DCR-PC120 and I have to say I'm a tad disappointed.
    The inbuilt microphone in the PC120 is fairly good (I think so at least) but it does struggle to pick up people around the camera if they are further than a few feet away, especially outdoors.
    I got the ECM-HS1 thinking that this might help.
    In Zoom mode it seems to very directional when you zoom in - picking up noise directly in front of the camera. This is what I expected however I'm not convinced that it picks the sound up any better than the inbuilt microphone. At wide angle it sounds better but I think that this is because it just uses the inbuilt microphone!
    When set to Gun mode it sounds exactly like the Zoom mode at full zoom - ie just very directional and not any better at picking up sound.
    I just wondered if other people had come to the same conclusions.

Stuart

2. Drafter

Drafter

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    smason5

The zoom mic doesn't amplify the forward sound but instead rejects noises to he side.
    My test was to use a stereo in a large room (out doors would work) with the speakers spread about 10 feet. play an insturmental song with fairly constant output at a just audible level. start with the built in mic and point it at the mid-point of the speakers, slowly turn around 360 degrees. repeat with zoom mic at different zoom lengths. Now compair by playing your audio through your stereo right, left & mix. You should get a good idea of your capabilites.
    Drafter

3. smason5

smason5

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks for the Reply.
    I'll have to try some experiments as you suggest.
    Am I right that the GUN setting is the equivalent of ZOOM and full telephoto ?
    Do you tend to use GUN at all or just ZOOM ?

Stuart

4. Drafter

Drafter

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Mine is a MZV-3U Microphone for GR-DV2000U Digital Camcorder.
    I only have zoom mode or off which changes back to the built-in mic. The difference is dramatic. I did have to send back my first mic which didn't work at all. The replacement is great.
    Drafter