1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

SONY DX51 or 100Mhz TV

Discussion in 'Televisions' started by fox_bat_72, Oct 6, 2004.

1. fox_bat_72

fox_bat_72

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I am currently looking to buy a new 28" Widescreen Television for Under £500. I dont know if to go for: Flatscreen with 100hz or without 100hz has anybody got any suggestions.

I do like the look of the Sony DX51 which is 28", Under £500 at Empire Direct and is Flatscreen, BUT it is not 100hz. Is it worth having a TV with 100hz or is the DX51 good enough, does anybody have any suggestions or any alterantive TV's that fall into my Spec.

Please Somebody Help, I need some advice.

:lease:

2. MartinImber

MartinImber

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +21
    Some people think 50Hz looks better (well I do)

That is a good price so if you want it buy it

3. omar_g

omar_g

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    What do you plan to watch? If most of your viewing is sport or action movies, the 100hz won't deal with the motion too well, so i'd stick with the DX51. If you're viewing habbits change with the wind, then its worth stepping up to the DX200, which offers DRC, twin tuners and will let you switch between 50hz and 100hz.

Good luck.

4. mandeep_sv

mandeep_sv

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Well, its Hz not Mhz, but its important to consider that some people do prefer 50Hz televisions over 100Hz becuase some 100Hz televisions do not cope with motion that great.

However, if your budget allows you, consider the Sony KD-28DX200......awesome. Not only does this fine television allow you to switch between 50 and 100Hz, but also cope exceptionally well with motion due to it resoloution enhancement facility called DRC.

Check it out and consider it, you will not regret it.

Any more info just shout.

5. fox_bat_72

fox_bat_72

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I will be using the TV for :

Football, Sport, The Occasional Film, General TV and PS2 Sport Games.

Ohh and I have a 2 month old baby so, The Tweenies.

6. Ozzy

Ozzy
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    You'll pay over £600 for a 28" DX200 (and that's online)

I tested the 32" DX200 and wasn't impressed. The Sony does allow you to switch between 100Hz DRC, 50Hz DRC and no DRC. It's still a 100Hz digitally processed image, so even with all those settings switched off, it's not the same as a native 50hz widescreen with no digital processing whatsoever. Don't get me wrong it was a nice TV, but you were paying for some digital processing that you may just end up switching off.

I'm still looking at TV's and to be honest 100Hz looks great on static text or pictures, but any movement can cause digital noise on the picture. Even camera pans look out of focus to me, so it's not just reserved to fast action sport IMHO. It was really obvious on football and motorsport with the picture becoming very blocky at times.

This is purely a personal thing and you'll either love 100hz or hate it. Me, I hated the digital processing and as for flicker - well in everyday use I don't notice it on my 29" Sony 4:3 and didn't notice it on in-store 50Hz widescreens until they were put next to 100Hz TV's. Even then I only noticed it on the large (32"+) TV's with static text. I could spot the digitally processed broadcast on all of them though.

Don't make your decision based on what you read on here. Go an check out the TV's for yourself.

Stefan