Dismiss Notice
Attention AVForums app / Tapatalk users
Sadly GDPR means that, from 25th, we can no longer offer access to AVForums via the branded app or Tapatalk.
Click here for more information.

Sony DVR DXG500 Opinions and Questions

Discussion in 'Blu-ray & DVD Players & Recorders' started by VideoPeter, Mar 30, 2005.

1. VideoPeter

VideoPeter

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    My brief opinion having had the machine 3 months:
    Pros
    - 1-2h modes great picture recorded or not. 1-1.5h modes can be astounding.
    - easy to program (with none of the glitches with EPG program ends some users have reported not synching with actual program ends)
    - Sound is good generally (voices clear which is key), generally good dynamics over stereo phono out. Not tried using it as a CD player.
    - Reliable (single exception - see con)
    - seems to produce a somewhat better picture than my standalone Sony digibox over RGB scart.

Cons
    - could have more bass extension compared to staright DVD boxes I have used on its stereo downmix/out. Menu options don't help. Interconnect tweaking doesn't help. Shouldn't bother the home cinema people I guess.
    - don't try to squeeze to much onto an R disc - if it can't finalize your disk is junk. You are tempted to do this to avoid longer playing modes.
    - Fan noise is not objectionable but it does nullify this machine as a constant use digibox IMO (not a con for me)
    - Should work out rec mode (1h, 2h etc) from the EPG, add 5 mins and work out optimal encoding/compression (whatever the right term is) - get rid of this VCR metaphor non-digibox players are stuck with. Oh - if only a 2h:05 film was recorded close to 2h quality...

Generally I am happy. I can see tho that another 12-24 months will see some great alternatives appearing. As the machine I singled out (digibox, overall quality etc) there was no other choice and see since my purchase that it has been reviewed very favourably.

Question:
    I saw an Amazon review of this machine that surprisingly states it can use dual layer + format disks. Any truth in this rumour? Anyone tried it? As a new player and other players now appearing supporting dual layer it has a ring of potential about it. If so the post-2h quality drop off fade into the mist.