1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Sony dvps-9000es

Discussion in 'Blu-ray & DVD Players & Recorders' started by johnson, May 26, 2001.

1. johnson

johnson

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +6
    Anyone know of any "good deals" on the Sony 9000es
    Thanks

2. I am maximus

I am maximus
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    Hi I have just bought a Toshiba 900e,it was a very close decision but I bought the Tosh instead of the Sony 9000es.The Toshiba is capable of decoding the new dts audio surround option where as the sony only decodes into the front two speakers only.I know this thread doesnt really answer your question but I thought you might like the info,also the Toshiba is rated 10/10 and the Sony 9/10

3. johnson

johnson

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +6
    Thanks for the return post.It is a hard decision and i have read a lot of reviews,most of the reviews from uk companies seem to go for the tosh but the u.s ones seem to be of the opposite opinion.It appears that once in progressive scan mode(which the americans seem to use and test more than us)the sony seems to win hands down.At the moment my tv is not progressive but my future purchase will be.I'm still not sure it's the right decision but i think it's a good player anyway.

4. I am maximus

I am maximus
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    Hey thats cool,no problem it was a very tough choice for me too but I didnt want the player for music I wanted picture quality as my main priority .The decision was very hard for me because I actually work in a Sony centre and could have got one at a good price.Its all peoples opions anyway as long as your happy the Tosh is amazing for picture by far the best that I have had.(my players include Panasonic A350,Sony 725,7700)nice talking to you anyway

5. johnson

johnson

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +6
    Thanks for the return post.
    I appreciate any input.Regarding the dts decoding,are you saying the tosh decodes DTS-EX?
    Also is the picture quality markedly different to the 7700?(thats my current player)and how do cd's compare?
    Thanks for the help
    Simon

6. I am maximus

I am maximus
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    Hi
    All dvd players will recognize dts es as standard its dependant on your amp which is the crucial bit,what I was getting at was that the new sound format that Dts are launching is going to be dts -audio 6.1 for movies the Toshiba is capable of sending the signal in the correct frequency to all channels the Sony is only capable of sacd to two channels and not 6 so its good for music but not capable for sacd 6.1 which is on the way.The picture is far better than the 7700 much sharper with more contrast.I hope this helps all the best

7. pronkie

pronkie

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    hello

First of all I own own of these beauts so I m probably a bit biased.The best deal I know off at the mo is SDB(although techtronics are close) in chiswick in london which are listing it at £999 for the region 2 or £1199 for the regionfree version, no question though you got to have the regionfree one(progressive only works in ntsc).I bought mine there in januari and got free delivery and had the conversion done for free , but I was also buying a digicam that day , I paid £1199 then as the player was more expensive then, the conversion is normally £200.So you might be able to negotiate or haggle if you like .This is an amazing dvd player
    an excellent cd player
    but the sacd will blow you away, do yourself a favour and order some sacd disks if you decide to get this player.Remember though that Philips and Sony are going to release new sacd player quite soon some combined with dvd players , some not especially the philips model is supposed to be very good.These new models will probably support multichannel sacd disks and maybe even have digital sacd interfaces on them although this is quite difficult to implement because of bandwidt problems in processors.Anyways here are the links: http://www.sdb-electronics.com/Sony_DVD.htm
    and http://www.linkonline.co.uk/cgi-bin/LinkOnline.storefront/3b11411f10867cf0273fc299143206a4/Product/View/DVPS9000ES

and
    http://www.techtronics.com/uk/shop/50-sony-dvp-s9000es-s9000-9000-multi-region-dvd-player.html

cheers arjo, by the way I have got no financial involvement with any of these companies

8. I am maximus

I am maximus
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    I bought a Toshiba 900e before from sdb,they told me the player was rce friendly which it was not I then had terrible trouble getting a region 2 only player from them,which they said they would deliver but did not letting me down twice I then had to drive up to Chiswick from Camberley to get a refund I would suggest someone think twice about buying from them,I then bought from Techtronics thanks to Karl a rce friendly machine at a lot less than sdb.I also have no connection to either firm but do work for a Sony centre if you want a price email me

9. johnson

johnson

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +6
    Sorry m8 I cant seem to e-mail you,The forums wont allow it.But i would be interested in best prices.I am probably going to buy within the next couple of days.
    Incedently I have had problems with Techtronics I now have 400 pounds worh of 2 month old dead dvd player because of dealing with them.But i guess every body has good and bad experiences at some times.

10. pronkie

pronkie

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    johnson

how come you are stuck with a dead dvd player , did you convert it yourself or did they refuse so honour the warranty?
    For what its worth I have been buying off SDB for over seven years and have made some mayor purchases, also have told all my friends about them and we ve never encountered any problems , and although you can mail order through them , the reason I like it is because it is a bricks and mortar store so any problems can be sorted out in person.

good luck in your purchase anyways

arjo

11. johnson

johnson

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +6
    Arjo
    Yes it was a diy mod.This was the second I had installed from TT,The first everything worked fine,the second the player had trouble swithing on(the standby light would go from red to green and back to red again)
    About one in every thirty tries the player would turn on and then it would work flawlesly until you stopped using it.
    I spoke to TT technical and the person I spoke to(I still have all their names written down and when I spoke to them),said he did'nt recommend people do the diy mod because it was unreliable,and if they fitted it and it did'nt work they could just change the chip until they got one that worked.
    Obviously at this stage I was well impressed(not!)
    I had no choice but to send the player back and to cut the story short i have a player that will not turn on ever.TT said that when they got it (took them a month to have a look at it)the drive mechanism was all damaged also and neither them or the freight company would take responsibility.
    I would just like to point out I have not just taken this as an opportunity to diss TT as this happened a couple of months ago and I havn't metioned this on the forums before.I just know i wouldn't use them again,and this is just a reply to your question
    Thaks Simon

12. johnson

johnson

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +6
    Pronkie
    Where did you get your sacd disks?
    Thanks Simon