1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Sony DVPNS955

Discussion in 'Blu-ray & DVD Players & Recorders' started by MSYam, Jan 16, 2005.

1. MSYam

MSYam
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I recently created a thread entitled "Anyone have a Sony DVPNS955", which has now been removed. In that thread one of you mentioned you had recently bought one, and would let us know how it performed with DVDs - cant remember your user name, but have you had chance to have a play with yet? I am curious as to how it performs against budget models, and I would like to know whether it is worth spending the extra.

I must admit, it appears to be a well made unit, and from what I have read here, the QS range is very good. Can you please let us know your thought when you get chance?

Cheers :beer:

2. poggs

poggs

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +26
    I am using an ancient (3 year old) hitachi 50 inch plasma connected via component so my findings are based on that big screen viewing.

The 'best' dvix dvd player at the moment is probably the Sony DVPNS955 costing £220. I have owned 9 (yes nine) divx dvd players since the beginning of december and they almost all went back under distance selling regs for one reason or another.
    so :- xbox - fan too noisy. picture not good enough.
    tosh 340e - whirr, whirr etc. crap reliability with DVD-rs.
    pioneers 575 and family. flimsy and noisy. poor reader of dvd-rs. Picture good though.
    philips - ok but just thought the picture on dvd's a bit wooly.
    also had a few cheapos like the liteon and DK Digital 915 but they just didn't cut it. very poor picture they had during playback.
    Kiss 1000 - Actually pretty good. Kept this one as a bedroom dvd player. Crashes a bit with fast forwarding of divx on cdrws though.

The only other acceptable dvd player was the samsung hd945 but my one blew up after 2 days and I couldn't get another before the end of january.
    If money is not a problem, then go for the sony. If it is, Id get a pioneer 470.

Get a copy of this months home cinema choice. It has a review.

3. Drew C

Drew C
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    I've been looking at the 955, but don't know if I want to spend that much if it's not much better than a player half it's price. As I've been looking around I've seen the new Sony DVPLS785 which is much cheaper yet a similar spec to the 955.This may be a go'er ubtil a decent hdmi player without any glitches and at a reasonable price is released.

4. Matt_H

Matt_H
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Twas me that said I had just bough one and would report back!

So here goes -

Well, I've had all weekend watching and listening to it, and I have to say that I am very impressed. I can only comment on the comparison between this and my 5 year old Sony 715 - a £600 player in its time.

Build Quality - superb, equally, if not better built than the 715, I can't believe that any budget player is put together this well.
    Style - it looks gorgeous, absolutely stunning, again I can't believe any budget player looks as good.
    CD replay - very good, though not quite as good as the 715, lacks a bit of weight, but still better than I was expecting.
    DVD replay - superb again, I am watching on a 80" screen with my projector and through the progressive component it is far superior to the 715's RGB scart, and the sound via the digital coaxial output into my AVAmp is also superior to the 715.
    Features - very good, amongst other things there is a 'video off' for playing music that actually does seem to make a difference, and a 40 disc memory for the the last place you got to in the film.

From what I've seen the best budget players like the Tosh 340 and Pio 575 are very good, and better most things under £150- £180, to get anything better you have to take quite a hike in price, but I think its been worth it - it looks like, and makes you think you spent much more.

Matt

5. MSYam

MSYam
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Matt, glad your happy with it.

Not sure if I mentioned before but at the moment I have a Roksan Kandy mkIII CD/DVD player which is very good with CD playback, so I will keep this unit for music(for now anyway). The picture on the roksan is also very good - I dont think any machine would look 'much' better on my 28" CRT tele. The only problem I have with the Roksan is the layer change - it is far too slow. So I am hoping that the Sony will give my at least as good picture quality as the Roksan, very good sound quality, but a much quicker layer change!

Have you noticed the layer change on the Sony yet? How good/bad is it?

6. poggs

poggs

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +26
    However, I have just discovered it doesnt play Xvid. only Divx.

Its going back............

7. MSYam

MSYam
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Unlucky, fortunately for me, I only use my DVD player for original DVDs/CDs, so the Sony is still probaly the way forward.

Anyone else experienced this unit??

8. Matt_H

Matt_H
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Just an update guys on the layer change - sorry it took a while, only really get to watch at the weekends.

Have hardly noticed it at all, its very quick and just whizzes over the change where my old player used to make you very aware what it was doing with a layer change. Its certainly loads quicker than my old Sony 715.

And am still very impressed with the overall build, sound and picture especially!

Matt

9. MSYam

MSYam
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    cheers for the info Matt. Sounds good.

I've got two choices then, I can either sell my Roksan Kandy MKIII, and buy a 955.
    Or, I could keep my Roksan (it's great for CDs), and buy a 955 and have two seperate units one for films one for music.

If I decide on option 2 then i'll have to get saving... again.

hmmm...