1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Sony DVPNS930V, should I buy one ?.

Discussion in 'Blu-ray & DVD Players & Recorders' started by jerkyboy, May 31, 2004.

1. jerkyboy

jerkyboy

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I am about to purchase one of these Sony DVD players for £220 (multiregion).

Is it as good as the reviews say ?.

Are there any other players at a similar price that are better ?.

Anyone had any problems ?.

2. connon

connon

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +7
    Hello,

Had the 930 for a few months now (Multiregion from techtronics)

Picture quality using RGB scart is very good. Picture initially can look dark but is easily adjusted with lots of picture options. I am now using the progressive scan (PAL + NTSC) output to a panny 6 plasma and have been impressed with the picture quality from such a resonably priced player .

Sound output via coax has a very full sound with good bass extension.
    Noticed that the output level is lower than my previous Sony and Panasonic dvd players although this is not an issue as i just turn up the volume a few notches.

CD playback is not bad but would not worry a cheap dedicated player. I use the coax output and let my amp do the number crunching.
    Have not made much use of the SACD option but Pink Floyd DSOTM is impressive.

Never had any issue with disks not playing although do not use a lot of copies.

Hope this helps

3. jerkyboy

jerkyboy

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Does it have an option to adjust the Gamma settings ?.

What other sort of picture tweaks are available ?.

Thanks

4. connon

connon

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +7
    What type of display are you hooking this up to ?

I do remember seeing a gamma setting but will double check for you.
    These are various preset settings such as cinema, dynamic etc.
    There is also a custom one which i set where you can set contrast, brightness and colour.

Set all this up on day one and have never been back in so will have a look.

5. jerkyboy

jerkyboy

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I am just using a Panny 36" CRT but I so intend to get a Plasma this year.

The reason why I ask about the Gamma setting is that a few players I have had over the last couple of years outputted a very dark picture with little detail in dark scenes.

The gamma should increase the detail whilst keeping all the blacks, black !.

p.sp are you happy with your Plasma, any problems ?. How does it compare to a regular CRT set.

Cheers.

6. connon

connon

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +7
    Hello

Finally got round to verifying some options last night.
    There is a custom picture setting. This allows contrast, brightness, colour and hue to be adjusted - no gamma however.
    This can be adjusted on the plasma for each input source though.

The new panny 6 plasma is working out great. Was (well the wife was) worried about the plasma size but it has actually made the living room look a third bigger with the large sony no longer in the corner. Afer a week i was so used to the size of the plasma i almost wished i had gone for a 50" !!!.
    I used a SONY 32FQ75U before which gave a really good image. The plasma is impressive for films using prog scan and gives a very solid detailed picture. The picture size is also now more evenly proportioned to the sound output from the amp and speakers.

Sky pictures are pretty good for the main channels. Other channels are not as good as on the sony TV. Some Sky channels with low bit rates does not cope well being blown up on a big screen and can look a tad washed out and blocky. That said it still is impressive.
    I have been impresed with how football and F1 looks onscreen - no real image lag or blurring. I did expect some problems here but have been pleasently suprised.

Screen is very quiet. You can hear a faint buzzing noize from the power supply when there is no sound on but this does not bother me. I returned 2 picture frame Toshiba TV's that buzzed a lot louder so not an issue.

As posted on other threads the scart input on the panny is quite soft so it is worth using one of JS converters to feed a picture into the VGA input for sky.

7. JayBee

JayBee
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Just came across this player at techtronics in my search for a progressive scan player. Can either of you say how it handles interlaced NTSC ouput. I'm currently stuck with my old CRT TV, so I was wondering if this player could convert NTSC to PAL60.

Thanks
    Jay

8. GAmbrose

GAmbrose

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +44
    It doesn't convert, it actually does PAL Progressive scan aswell.

I have this player connected up via Component to a Panny 6 plasma, and the image is excellent on both PAL and NTSC sources. The only niggling complaint I have is that the DVD drive can actually be noisy playing some discs, I don't think this is a common problem, just a minor fault with my specific player. Is annoying in quiet scenes.

Gary A

9. JayBee

JayBee
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Sorry, I was actualy on about the interlaced signal. Currently I don't have any support for progressive, but I'm looking to by for the future.

Thanks