Sony DVPNS930 - not progressive enough?

Discussion in 'Blu-ray & DVD Players & Recorders' started by Edd-Rex, Jun 14, 2003.

1. Edd-Rex

Edd-Rex

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    According to Sony's own website this dvd player offers progressive scan for NTSC only (I guess that means that PAL progressive has yet to be fully ratified then).

I understand that progressive scan is the holy grail in terms of picture quality and that PAL would kick NTSC's ass in a fair fight given the greater number of lines involved.

Now this is a really naive question but if I chucked in a region 2 PAL disk in to this player could I get an NTSC progressive signal out of it? I am assuming no on the grounds that every silver lining has a cloud but you fine folks know more about this sort of thing than any salesperson could ever hope to.

Most of my software is R2 PAL and I just want the best picture I can get when I save the works projector from a life of PowerPoint slavery.

Are there any PAL progressive players under £300 out there or do I just have to wait and see?

2. gringottsdirect

gringottsdirect

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +32
    Richers have Limit players @ £149.00 though reports are mixed, the Zoran Vaddis 5 it has is possibly different to that used in Arcam DiVA 88+, so don't expect it to be the same performance. I have never seen a Limit working but you could always buy one and return it if unhappy.
    I have a Philips DVD-963SA, available from www.robertsons-online.co.uk @ £308.00 . Again mixed reports but mine works fine, I'm very pleased with it.
    Harmon-Kardon have models too in your price range, I've never seen them either.
    In theory lots of Pal-Progressive players should become available later this year at reasonable prices, but maybe not. A cheap pal-progressive player may not be any better than a decent £100 interlaced player anyway. It would be worthwhile to see a decent player working to give you a frame of reference, try and see Arcam DiVA 88+ , Denon DVD-2900 or Philips DVD-963SA if you can ?

3. firekill

firekill

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +15
    hi,
    heres one player you could concider the compacks dvd 5000 availiable in safeway stores for £49.50 yes thats right. and its ntsc and pal progressive out of the box .the picture quality is excellent in progresive you do loose some details in shadowy scenes but just krank up the brightnes slighty to sort this out .i,ve just got one to go with my pt ae100 prog and i am well happy ,anyway for this kind of money you just can,t go wrong
    it will certainly tide me over till there are a lot more progrssive players out.

4. sounddog

sounddog

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +474
    Just over £300 is the Philips DVD-963SA and the Harmon Kardon DV25. Also at a reasonable price you should be able to get the NAD T562 (not sure of exact price).

WRT to the Sony ... I believe some places have it listed as PAL Progressive and others not - IIRC someone actually contacted Sony who confirmed it was PAL Progressive - try searching threads here.

Finally ... what display are you using your DVD player with ... only Plasma, and Front Projection devices are compatible with PAL progressive though a few CRTs do NTSC Progressive.

Vikki

5. Captain chaos

Captain chaos

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    The Sony 999 and 930 models are BOTH PAL progressive. Whether their performance in doing so is any good I do not know.

6. Edd-Rex

Edd-Rex

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Cheers for all the advice. Looks like the Philips is worth investigating as well. Ho hum, decisions, decisions...

7. Gomez

Gomez

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Just wanted to underline this.

THe official german press realese describes both the 999 and the 930 as PAL Progressive.

There's one user at the german forums who's already running a 999, and he's entirely satisfied. Of course, it is PAL Progressive.

Sony's own De-Interlacing chip seems to do a hell of a job. The build quality of the 999 seems to be superb, there are even some photos available:

http://212.105.197.43/vbportal/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=35444

Note: Even the 730, available in August, will be PAL Progressive, and it will retail at 250€.

Seems to be a sophisticated line-up coming from Sony.

Best regards,
    Gomez

8. cybersoga

cybersoga

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +25
    I'm a great fan of Sony gear and had my eyes on a 999ES for a while now, but it didn't do too well in the Home Theater secrets DVD benchmarks, I wonder if the 930 will actually be better than the 999 is some respects because it's a newer model...

9. cybersoga

cybersoga

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +25
    The default "PICTURE" level (contrast/white level) set on the DVP-NS905 is also set too high according to Avia, which means that it didn't matter how the contrast was set on the TV it was still missing the bars on the contrast test. Reducing the "PICTURE" level on the DVD player to -2 has fixed this.

10. calibos

calibos

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +33
    Seeing as at least one of the main Manufacturers ie Sony are now doing an 'Official' Pal progressive player (as opposed to Pal Prog via Hack), I wonder can I look forward to my dream machine arriving in early Autumn.

ie. An 80 gig+ HDD/Dvd-Ram/R Recorder with RGB in and out and Pal prog. Panny HS3/E100??

I wonder will Pal Prog be available via RGB Scart or just component and if it is available on scart will my PJ recognise Pal prog via scart?? Will Pal Prog only be applied to its DVD and/or HDD prerecorded output or will it be applied to whatever is output from the machine. In other words if I looped through my RGB output from my NTL box through the recorder would it automatically be made PAL Prog when its output by the recorder or would I have to record the program on the HDD or DVD and then play it back to get the benefit of the Pal Prog??

Questions, Questions!! :D