Sony DVPNS900 Multi Region player.

V

videonastie

I have recently brought a Sony DVPNS900 Multi Region DVD Player, from Richer Sounds. I used to own a Toshiba 2109, this was connected to my Sony widescreen TV, which was all connected to a Sherwood amp. When I used to turn the DVD player on, it automatically switched the television to the desired AV channel, through the scart. I have re-connected everything the way I have explained, but now when I turn the DVD player on, nothing happens to the channel selector & I have to manually pick it with either the TV remote, or the display button on the DVD player itself. Can anyone help?:confused:

Hello.

That is normal. You have to press display or press play before it will auto-switch. I think all Sony player are like this.

So you finally got your player then? What colour did you get? How much? How you finding it so far?

Alright mate.

I got the Black one. I wanted the silver version, but plummed for the black, because my amp, speakers & TV are all the same colour. I also treated myself to a Cambridge Audio Scart lead & a Coaxial lead. The difference is amazing. So far I am very impressed. I'm just waiting to test the Lord of the Rings Extended DVD, with the new DTS track. I've watched the new True Romance DVD & you can definitely spot the improvement.

One question I have you is, how can you improve your picture more? I've read somewhere on the net that you can tweak it till your hearts content?

CHEERS.

hope you didn't get one of the duff ones. this player was plagued with problems when if was first release - hence the 905

Originally posted by videonastie
What were the problems?

widescreen switching mainly, they got the voltage wrong on one of the pins and while playing dvds it would constantly switch between 4:3 & 16:9

If I come across this problem, is there a way around it, or is back to the store with the pesky thing?

Hello.

Can I ask did they actually have the Silver version? Did Richers actually ever sell that colour?

Well, you can switch on and customise options like BNR, DVE, Equaliser by pressing Display twice. You can custom brightness, colour, etc etc by going into Equaliser and selecting Memory. I like the option of saving a frame and setting it as a background.

I wouldn't worry about the RGB scart switching problem. That happening a long time ago, I'm pretty sure Sony would have sorted that problem out and not sold any problematic models to Richer Sounds. You would have to take it back to RS if you were unlucky enough to get the problem, Sony would have to do a simply software upgrade to fix it. This is what I was told by a salesperson at a Sony Centre.

Would the RGB problem occur straight away, or would it start to happen over a period of time?

Also do you own one of these players? If so was your plug an American one, with a UK adapter?

CHEERS.

Do a search on this subject and you will find lots of posts regarding it. I am not sure, sorry.

Yes, the plug is like that because it is a European CE model. I bought one from Richer Sounds too.

i have had my DVP NS900 for about 6 months now and I have never had the widescreen switching problem. I had a error message once whilst navigating oceans 11 menus, but ejecting the disk and cleaning it sorted it out.
It is a great player and i did away with my CD player as it was better.
Dont worry!!
:D

just thinking, if you turn the 900 on and your set doesnt change av source right away - that to me sounds like the dvd player is connected to a non RGB scart socket.

astonbilla, my Sony 905 is exactly the same. it only switches to AV1 (in my case), when you press Play, Enter or Display. This is actually quite a nice feature. My Av1 is most definately my RGB socket.

Does anyone know id there is a hack to get this player to output progessive scan? the us model outputs this. Is the uik/european model just different in firmware ir is it just not capable of outputting PS.

If it is not then yet again I'm looking up upgrade my dvd player.

Thanks

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom