1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

SONY DVPNS305 - "Multiregionable"?

Discussion in 'Blu-ray & DVD Players & Recorders' started by TheDufster, Jun 14, 2002.

1. TheDufster

TheDufster
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    Does anyone know if there is a "hack" to make the SONY DVPNS305 Mutl-Region capable?

2. Squirrel God

Squirrel God

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    There is no hack for Sony players as far as I am aware. You have to get a hardware mod.

3. the badger

the badger

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I have an ns300 which was modified by a software modification, I think by the company I bought it from

4. Squirrel God

Squirrel God

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Beware of software-based solutions as they often downgrade your player's firmware.
    Source: http://www.techtronics.com/uk/shop/510-multi-region-upgrade-comparison.html

5. NeoBlade

NeoBlade

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
  6. simon1

simon1

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +58
    There is a hack available by using a special remote code (no chipping involved). This is done not by pressing a certain sequence of buttons on your own remote, but by using a special remote that some authorised Sony dealers/repairers have.

Techtronics, for instance do a service where you hire a one-for-all remote off them which has this infared code learnt on it. Unfortunately, it seems a bit of an expensive service from them.

If you haven't already bought the player, companies like hifibitz sell the players already modded this way, and are only charging about a tenner more than a rival selling unmodded dvd version.

If you already have the player, see if you can find a Sony authorised dealer who may provide this service for you at a more reasonable charge.

7. Guest

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
  8. TheDufster

TheDufster
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    Nice one - thanks for all your replies.

9. BallJoint

BallJoint

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Sorry to hijack the thread, but what does all this "firmware" stuff mean (more techno speak I don't understand)? Am I right in thinking that it is better to get a R2 player than an "upgraded" multiregion version that certain retailers have had modified?

10. Squirrel God

Squirrel God

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Think of firmware like the 'internal operating system' of the player.
    No. Better to get a multiregion player (unless of course you don't watch any other regions). But the way it's "made multi region" is important - that's all.