sony dvpns300 poor colour

T

the badger

I recently acquired a magnificent Philips 32pw9616 with inbuilt dolby digital. I was very impressed with the picture which my Proline dvd1000 produced on it. Unfortunately that player broke a few days later. I think I wrenched the cable too hard when I was moving it to make a digital audio out connection. Rather than paying to have it repaired I bought the Sony (multi region) assuming it would give even better results.Unfortunately the picture through good quality scart cables (RGB) to scart #1 is awful. It is very stable and clear but lacks any warmth. Reds are hardly ever in evidence. I find the lack of color unwatchable. Some movies, like Atlantis region1 have brilliant blues but very little of any other color. Others, such as The World is not Enough (region 2) have little color at all. I can't make an S video conncection as neither of the scarts which would accept this are tied in with the digital co- axial for sound. The dealer says that this is a taste issue rather than a malfunction. He suggests that I could upgrade to a Tosh SD220 for an extra 50 squids but I have already spent 150 squids and I was much happier with my cheopo Woolworths player even though the sound quality is poor. Should I get my Proline fixed or shell out more dosh?

I have just ordered one of these from Richer Sounds and by all the reviews I have read the picture has never got less than a 9. These reviews quote colours as warm and vibrant so either your TV is dodgy, the cabling is faulty or all the reviews are lying.

I will let you know when I get mine - I hope it's good or heads are gonna roll !:eek: :eek: :eek: :eek:

This is a common complaint with Sony DVD's. I use Svideo on mine as it's much more lively. Dunno why.

S

I've got the DVPNS-305 model which is the newer version of the DVPNS-300. The picture quality and colours are fantastic - best I've seen on a sub £300 model and, in all honesty, better than I've seen on a lot of more expensive ones too! The 300/305 models may lack fancy buttons and effects (that you'll use once to make sure they work) but it has consistently been awarded high marks for picture output.

Unless there has been a significant improvement in the codec's between the 300 and 305 models - I suggest that you need to fiddle with some settings on both your TV and DVD player a bit more.....

My player has just been despatched from Techtronics (I know they get some stick on this forum but I have read a good few post with praise for them. So I thought i'd give them a try........................they couldn't be worse than RS after the way they treated me - Internet order- )

Once it's hooked up and playing I'll let you all know how it performs versus my ProLine DVD1000.

:cool: :) :cool:

Thanks Andyboy. I would be really interested to hear from someone else who can diectly compare the two machines. I am a little worried that I am obsessing over what is wrong with the new player raher than appreciaing what it can do. I have now got my Proline repaired so I can make a comparion when I pick it up. You rarely see anyone talking about the Proline these days but the HCC review shows that i has lab results whch are better than som much more expensive models. What you will certainly notice with the Sony is that it loads discs instantly.

Don't get me wrong the Proline is still a good DVD player but is suffering from incompatibilities these days.

I have been told that the shimmering effect that happens on metal surfaces such metal grillwork and truck radiators is due to the proline not having as good a DAC as the DVPNS300 and this is why I bought it - it just seemed superior.

I'll know in the next day or so when it arrives - the service thus far from Techtronics is faultless but hey, there's still time for it to screw up yet !

Got my DVP-NS300S yesterday afternoon - I must point out that I only ordered it on Monday afternoon so hats off to Techtronics for the speedy service.

Anyway with reference to it's performance as compared to the ProLine DVD100.

I find the shimmering effect (don't know what else to call it !) on metal grillworks to be reduced but not gone completely. This is also noticeable on terrestrial tv broadcast so I know it's probably due to the fact that I only have a Schneider 21" tv from ASDA.

As to the colour issue - I have no complaints whatsoever, if anything when I have watched Swordfish R1 I have always thought the red in Ginger's dress was overly flourescent on my proline but onthe sony it's exactly as I would have hoped so it's handling of colours to me is spot on.

As for sound, well it's goddam amazing. I watched Star Wars Ep 1 on it last night and the difference in performance between it an dthr ProLine is truly noticeable - mainly the surround channels which are much more active and dynamic than before.

So in closing - so far well impressed and the Enterprise Multimod Plus installed by Techtronics seems top dollar. :D :D

Thanks for letting me know- I get my repaired proline back soon so I can make my own comparison. My main complaint so far on the ns300 relates to animated films which seem to be very dull - eg. Atlantis. I am sure you are right about the sound however. The colour on ns300 is more natural on films where there is perhaps a bit of over- saturation to start with eg. U.F.O. remastered episodes. The problem is that films with more subdued colours to start with end up looking rather dull and colourless. I have a 100hz t.v. which tends to subdue colours a bit to start with.

I have now sussed out what was causing this problem and sorted it. My Phillips t.v. has an active picture control. By changing this from minimum to medium and it has improved my piucture radically. I have now compared the two machines. I feel they are about equal for colour but the Sony has a sharper image. This is most noticeable in dvd menus. The sony also has better sound. However, if I had bought the Sony at full price I would not have thought it was worth double the money.

i have had sony dvd players for about 4yrs -only two but i have also experimented with a friends. doing instant comparisons eg conected by scart-rgb and s-video lead at same time-switching on tv.in every case the sonys gave a better picture via s-video (via scart or s-video lead) the colours were better the picture was crystal clear and filmic and the sheen on metal objects and reflections were ten times better-just my findings fwiw.

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom