1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Sony DVPNS 905(Again)

Discussion in 'Blu-ray & DVD Players & Recorders' started by amac, Aug 20, 2002.

1. amac

amac

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Just received My new Sony DVPNS 905 multiregion DVD player.

First impressions: -

Well it certainly looks better in the flesh, lovely brushed aluminium facia and nice simplistic button layout. Operation is smooth and quiet.
    I am unable at present to put it through its paces, as I am currently moving house and all my other kit, including my discs, are in storage.:. My old model was an American Sony import, so the vast majority of my discs are region 1.This is my first multiregion player.
    I was a little concerned there was no documentation with the player explaining how to operate the multiregion aspects, so I rang the supplier(AVLand). The guy on the phone said there would be no documentation as the mod was done via remote, and confirmed the player had been modified. I have some queries regarding this: -
    1. Can Sony players be hacked this way? I was under the impression they could not.
    2. Why do some companies offer hardware mods, which presumably invalidate the manufacturers warrantee if indeed the players can be modified via remote?
    3.Has anyone else had a Sony player modified this way? Is it RCE compatible?
    Any comments would be appreciated.
    (Iam about to enter Home Cinema Nirvana; Iam going to watch R2 LOTR on a 14" Matsui, in mono.);)

2. Corbin

Corbin

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi amac

I've got the NS700 multiregion. It never really crossed my mind when I received it to check for documentation that is was multiregion. I've got a few region 1,2 & 4 discs and they all play perfectly OK.
    Not all DVD players are remote hackable and that's why some need a chip instead.
    I haven't got any RCE encoded discs but I'm let to believe that these should play with no problems either.

Hope this helps.

3. ryonhill

ryonhill

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    corbin, im thinking of getting the ns700 multi region from richer sounds, is it any good? what are the features like etc

thanks.

4. Corbin

Corbin

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi

Let me start by saying that the player and features are very good for a player in this price range although I'm sure there are probably better players with more features for less money. At the end of the day it all comes down to what features you need the most. I chose this one because I needed

1. Multiregion
    2. Stylish
    3. Two scart sockets
    4. 5.1 channel out
    5. Could play as many different media discs as possible (pity the 705 wasn't around when I needed it as MP3 would have been handy)

Anything else to me was just a bonus really but saying that, there are plenty of other useful features. First of all, setting up is relatively easy as the instruction booklet is pretty easy to follow.

A quick list of features

Coaxial and optical digital out
    5.1 Channel output
    S Video out
    Two scart sockets
    Built in dolby digital and dts decoders
    Playback of DVD DVD-R DVD-RW CDR CDR-W VCD SVCD CD SACD
    Easy to read and navigate on screen display
    Shuffle play
    Repeat play
    Title/Track/Index/Scene search
    Nine different surround modes (ten if you include none!!!)
    Three block noise reduction settings
    Five video equaliser settings
    Four digital video enhancer settings
    Parental control (pesky kids!!)
    On screen sound and speaker set up

That's basically about it really other than a few odds and ends that didn't get a mention as they don't seem that important.
    All in all a pretty could player with great sound and picture quality thrown in for good measure. If this info doesn't help any then I think you should consider something else. Happy viewing if you decide to get one.

Corbin.

PS Maybe a should have said exhaustive list !!!!!

5. chuenmanc

chuenmanc
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    Hello amac

I would be interested in your thoughts on the 905 when you get a chance to use it - the quality of the mod specifically. The player is £30 cheaper from AVLand than elsewhere, so I am wondering if the mod is perhaps not as good as some others. Especially as you have found that it was done by a service remote.

Kind regards

Chuen

6. CLH

CLH

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +21
    Most Sony mods are done by service remote now.

My 905 appears to be flawless and plays all discs including RCE ones.

The 905 is an excellent player indeed and well worth the money.

Crap remote mind.

The 40 disc resume playback feature is also quite good. You can stick a disc away in the cupboard and come back to the point you left it!

7. chuenmanc

chuenmanc
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    Hi there CLH

If you're saying that your player was also modded by a service remote (and I think I saw in another post that you got yours from a different supplier?) then I may just have to get one now!

8. CLH

CLH

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +21
    My understanding is that mine was probably done by service remote. I didn't ask but I know most Sony's are done that way.

Also given the 905 has been about for about a week and a half I would imagine theres been no time to make a chip anyway!

9. chuenmanc

chuenmanc
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    I think I'll drop AVLand an email to see if they can offer more info on their mod. But what you say about the chipping sounds logical.

Thanks for the info :)

10. Guest

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Pretty much all Sony players can be modified by the service remote now , take a look at the list on this page of dvdchips.co.uk to see which can ( of course the list seems a little out of date if indeed the NS905 also uses the remote )

http://www.shoyle.f9.co.uk/dvdchipsuk/nosoldermodtable.htm

RCE compatibility after using the remote is also shown in that table

11. Guest

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi,

Sorry to ask some simple questions but I would like to know if the 905 comes in black?

and how does it compare to the 900 in terms of video/audio quality and laying cd's

The remote multi region upgrade what if the player is turned off or is reset to factory condition?

cheers

Gary

12. Guest

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    the upgrades are permanent

13. pob

pob

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +75
    Although AV-Land only list the 905 in Silver, an email from Sony and an email from multiregionmagic confirm that the 905 is available in Black... (Yipee!!!)

Time for me to go shopping......