1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Sony DVPNS 900 problem

Discussion in 'Blu-ray & DVD Players & Recorders' started by TimF, May 22, 2002.

1. TimF

TimF

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I have just bought a multiregion (ICOS mod) Sony 900 When connected via RGB scart to Widescreen Philips 32inch 9525 the DVD picture seems very dark.

It is much darker than S-video connection and darker than my old 735 region 2 player.

Sky + on RGB doesn't suffer this problem.

Any body had similar problem or ideas of of what to try to resolve it?

Tim:(

2. I am maximus

I am maximus
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    Hi Timh
    I have owned the Sony dvpns 900 in my time it is well known for a dark rgb output,it is in my opinion nothing to do with the modification you have had done.If you play it in s-video the picture will lighten plus if you use the gamma correction u can lighten the picture also I would point out that it is possible to do a firmware upgrade on the player which then means u do not loose your warranty.I hope this helps

3. TimF

TimF

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Maximus

Thanks for info.
    I am using IXOS "S" cable now and is much brighter - shame about RGB performance however - now got an expensive surplus Scart cable!

The player is already hardware modified so not sure what point of a handset firmware upgrade would be.

Can you tell me what benefits would be now that this player is now Multiregion already?

I also have Sony 735 D (Region 2) - could this be upgraded in this way?

Cheers

TimF

4. the badger

the badger

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I have a Philips 9616 tv and recently bought a sony ns300. I don't find the RGB picture too dark but it does seem to be too much on the blue side with very dull reds. I am getting my old Proline (don't laugh- see the HCC review) player repaired. You might want to exchange your player for one from another manufacturer.

5. I am maximus

I am maximus
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    Of course no value for you to do it now as youre player is already chipped the only bonus if like would have been to keep the Sony warranty as Sony will not touch chipped machines at there authorised service centres but of course the company u bought it from will repair it for you if they have a service engineer.I am glad the s-video worked All the best I am maximus

6. the badger

the badger

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    It may be worthwhile fiddling around with any smart picture settings your Phillips has. Try different settings od dynamic contrast but also the setting which automatically controls your contrast colour etc. I find that if this is set to maximum- which may be a factory preset- then dvd playback is darker. Medium is the best setting for both dynamic contrast and the automatic picture control

7. stranger

stranger

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    the 900 will output s-video through the scart if it suits your wiring better.

8. steve.wardell

steve.wardell

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hey Maxiumu whats the crack with this firmware upgrade, I am looking at buying a 900, Sony dealer will do it for £440 inc multi region (presume via remote hack) - not sure of warranty status after the hack though - do you have details of the firmware upgrade