Sony DVPNS 900 CD playback

Discussion in 'Blu-ray & DVD Players & Recorders' started by t-force, May 27, 2002.

1. t-force

t-force

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +99
    Can someone tell me what the CD playback is like on this DVD player; I know it's got SACD, but my processor doesn't yet have a 5.1 analogue input (next on the upgrade list when I can afford to send it back to TAG). I've currently got a Marantz DV4100, and I'd like something with as good as, if not better than, CD playback as that, without breaking the bank too heinously. In terms of future proofing, the Sony seems to be a good bet, as at the moment, SACD seems to be winning the battle - I even saw some discs for sale in a REAL shop a couple of days ago!!!

Thanks,

T

2. stranger

stranger

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    ns900 cd playback is excellent.

3. Craig_Nike

Craig_Nike

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Remenber that you can plug in your SACD through your old receiver just usunig 2 channel.

The 2 top of the range Sony SACD models came out 2 channel anyway. For now you wouldnt have surround SACD, but even 2 channel SACD wold klick normal CD's butt...

4. garmtz

garmtz
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    The CD playback of the Sony is o.k. I think it is not "great". I have reviewed it lately and found the sound of the player using it's digital outputs to my amp superior as compared to the analog outputs. SACD and DVD-Video playback are VERY good. A Sony doesn't light my fire as much musically as a Marantz, but has lots of detail and a transparent sound overall with good bass.

5. Matt F

Matt F

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4
    SACD might be winning the "most titles available" battle but as for sound quality, have a read of "Shootout......SACD v DVD-A " in the "Music" forum - you might be surprised by the results - I was.

Matt.

6. stranger

stranger

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    garmtz, had the 900 for 7 months now, it sounds much better now after a long run in ( for info ):)

7. garmtz

garmtz
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    The player I received was a reviewer's model and had some hours on it, but I burned it in for yet another week before seriously listening to it. It's not bad, but nor great either. I think the Marantz DV8300 is really going to be a great player, if it even sounds remotely similar to the magnificent Marantz SA-12S1.

Maybe you should just try out the player and see for yourself if you like it. It is the only test.

8. stranger

stranger

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    thanks for that but i am happy with my setup for now, i find the 900 better than ok but thats my opinion.:)

9. garmtz

garmtz
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    The "Maybe you should..." was meant for t-force. Stranger, I think your are well-served with the Sony! No need to change...

Sorry for the confusement... :)