1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Sony DVPNS 700

Discussion in 'Blu-ray & DVD Players & Recorders' started by paiger, May 17, 2002.

1. paiger

paiger

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    JUst looking throught the mag and I notice Richer Sounds are doing the Sony DVPNS700 in multi region for £222. Is this insanely cheap or am I imagining it? Has anyone got one of these or know where I can get a review? I currently have a Sony 735 which I am delighted with and could probably flog for a couple hundred on Ebay. Would I be taking a step down? I'm more worried about losing audio performance than video to be honest, how are these at spinning CD's? Obviously the SACD and Region 1 bits are a big plus for me.

Also, the Region 2 version is about £20 cheaper. Does anyone know how these machines are modded and if it's something I could do myself in software?

Thanks.

Steve

2. DaveP

DaveP

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I bought one of these about six months ago from a local Sony dealer for £375. He modified it using a remote handset and I think it needs a special code similar to the Philips models. I've since seen them for sale at £299 and even less but yes £222 is bl**dy cheap!

I think the reason is that Sony are bringing out two sub £200 models replacing the 200 and 400 models.

As far as comparing with your 735 I can't help. This model replaced the 735 so I assume it should be no worse. All I can say is that I am very pleased with it and it plays back Audio CDs better than any prior machine I've owned. It will also play back DVD-R and DVD-RW disks as well as CD-R.

DaveP

3. paiger

paiger

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks Dave. I was considering the 900 but it's at least £150 dearer and if I could get a 700 for more or less what my 735 is worth (a 725 is up to £180 on Ebay right now) then it must be a good deal. I would rather put the extra money towards upgrading my 940 amp to a DPL2 model. Have you used SACD and if so, what's it like?

S

4. DaveP

DaveP

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    My player came with a couple of SACD demo disks but I have not been able to try them. The SACD 5.1 output is from 6 phono sockets and not output via the Optical or RF links. My AV amp is 5 metres from the tele so, for the sake of the best picture (RGB), I've got the player under the tele!

Reports I've read suggest that SACD is the bees knees!

If I were you I'd get the 900 and save up a bit longer for your amp!

DaveP

5. Steve_e42

Steve_e42

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I paid £299 for one of these about two months ago, and again it was multi regioned by the store via remote. Have been really impressed with it. I have also dabbled with the SACD capabilities, linking it to my Sony 970 amp, via the amp's multi channel input sockets. As said by DaveP, I was surprised that this was the only way to get SACD output, as I had assumed it could be obtained via digital out. I've played the sample disks and purchased the multi channel version of Tubuler Bells (why are SACD disks more expensive than DVD movies????), and must say I'm impressed with how is sounds; although whether this is the technology impressing more than the music, I'm not sure.

The only negative that I have come across (and this may be due to my ignorance) is that I am unable to apply any EQ settings to the SACD output; this is because when using multi-channel input, my amp does not allow the EQ settings to be applied, and I cant see any way to set EQ on the 700, only sound levels. But assuming I'm correct, it seems strange that with all this technology, I don't have the ability to set bass and treble as I did on my Dansette record player in the 60's! If I have got this wrong, then would be grateful for any guidence.

Hope this helps.
    SteveE

6. JSW

JSW

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +300
    I have a 735 too not being used as now got a Tosh 900e
    But remember your 735 is QS class and the 700 is not. If you want QS class get the 900

7. paiger

paiger

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Excuse my ignorance but what does QS mean? I assume it's good! As far as the Tosh 900e goes, I'm looking at prices and it's around a grand. Looks like agreat player though. The whole point is that I can sell my 735 and get a SACD player for the same, hopefully not losing any quality. The Sony 700 seems to fit the bill, plus, it's multi region. I plan at some time in the future to go for a serious set up but at the mo, cashflow doesn't permit.

8. JSW

JSW

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +300
    QS is Sony's Quality Standard and uses higher quality components.

9. neil malde

neil malde

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    whats the difference between quality components and normal ones... is it just that they seem to be stores in a bigger case?