sony dvp860,, 301 disc player any good or what do you recomend for projector based sy

Discussion in 'Blu-ray & DVD Players & Recorders' started by grahamricho, Jan 2, 2002.

1. grahamricho

grahamricho

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +13
    i have a denon avca1d amp kef thx speaker package and a seleco320 projector and using a sony 715 dvd player,i was going to up grade to a player with dts!i was wondering if the sony 860 was any good or what player would anybody recomend?dont need prog scan,i thought the sony 860 would be child friendly,but is it as good as a 715 sony or what improvement would i get in using a £500 single disc player over my sony 715 or the sony 860?

2. Couch Potato

Couch Potato

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi Graham,

I've got an 860, I moved up from a 725 and there is no perceptable difference (I think it uses the same engine) In terms of useability the UI is appaling if you've got a pronto you really need to use "SuperNudelist" a utility developed by Leo Davidson for the Sony Megachanger CD/DVD players avaialble via remote central .

I use it with a TAG system playing thro' a Seleco 400+ and I am very happy (although I will shortly be adding a TAG DVD Player) for shear ease of use for day to day viewing and "childproof" I dont think it can be beat.

Drop me a mail if you've any particular queries.

HTH
    Steve

3. Me

Me

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +5
    I have a CX-850 and am in the process of getting a second CX-860 This is a brilliant player and I certainly have no complaints about it at all. The reason I am going for a second 860 and not 850 is the component outputs on the new one, but basically they are identical. My home cinema is designed with two under fours in mind, all equipment locked away in child proof cases and controlled remotely. The Sony 850/860 is a god send. I would find it very difficult to go back to a single disc player. Highly recommended. I will probably get my 860 from Sound and Vision. Best price I can find.
    Regards. Mark

4. graham.myers

graham.myers

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I too have a CX-850. Plugged into similar kit as you have. Kef THX speakers, denon AVC1D, but I use a Sony HT10 projector.

It is good. I have my pronto programmed up with the titles of the films, but I tend to use a printed excel spreadsheet (used for insurance purposes) and just dial the number on the front and push.

I'm actually going to sell mine cos I want a progressive scan player, and 'er indoors says I cant have both (well 3 actually as I have an American player I have to flog too :)

But. Does your existing player have an optical out? If so you dont need a DTS player do you, as the amp will do the offboard decoding for you :confused: .

Or at least thats what i thought.

If you still want an 850/860 and are interested in mine, shout