1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Sony DVP-S9000ES v Arcam DV88

Discussion in 'Blu-ray & DVD Players & Recorders' started by JD, Nov 16, 2000.

Tags:
  1. JD

JD

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    So which one would you go for? It seems Bob Tomalski couldn't pick a winner.

2. lmccauley

lmccauley

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +213
    Neither until I see what the progressive scan version of the Arcam is like on a big screen.

I had the Arcam 88 home for a weekend and the perceived difference in picture quality on a 29" Sony TV between it and my Pioneer 606 was marginal.

I'm starting to look into projectors and I'll definitely want to try out the Arcams with those.

------------------
    "Do you hear that, Mr. Anderson? That is the sound of inevitability."

3. Boris Blank

Boris Blank

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +170
    Did HCC bother to review the progressive scan mode this time? They barely mentioned it in the review of the Pioneer 737!
    Paul

4. JD

JD

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    HCC didn't go into the progressive scan on the Sony just said "If you are lucky enough to own a compatible display, rest assured this deck will deliver cinematic quality"

5. JD

JD

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    HCC didn't go into the progressive scan on the Sony just said "If you are lucky enough to own a compatible display, rest assured this deck will deliver cinematic quality"

6. JD

JD

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0

7. JD

JD

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    BT connection problem!!!

8. ReTrO

ReTrO

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +59
    Get the Arcam DV-88. IMHO better than the Sony in terms of pefromance, features and price etc.

Rick

------------------
    'I am just a figment of your imagination.'
    MiB 1997

Work Site: The Sound Gallery
    Home Site: WD A.V.

9. Matt Horne

Matt Horne

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +119
    First Post and just the topic I wanted...

So how about some more details on the DV88 any probs with the multi region hack ? What the build quality like as the face seems rather. I have the Pioneer 606 and I was thinking about either the Sony or Arcam.

How was it with music?

I am tilting towards it over the Sony due to the couple of hundred quid less ang multi region being built in.

Please lets have some more details.. there seems to be no other info on the web at all..

Cheers

Matt

10. ReTrO

ReTrO

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +59
    The ARCAM DV88 has multi-region built in aswell, via. a remote hack(see latest HCC). No problems with it as yet since it actually changes the region settings completely in the proper chip.

Picture quality is great, also has multiple outputs for video, component and RGB both via. SCART and phono.

Build quality is alright but could be better, but that does not affect ther verdict for me.

See the review ofr further tech. deatils.

Rick

------------------
    'I am just a figment of your imagination.'
    MiB 1997

Work Site: The Sound Gallery
    Home Site: WD A.V.

11. Richard46

Richard46

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +120
    I've had one for a month. Agree with everything Rick says. I'm using it as my CD player (Musical Fidelity Amp; Castle Harlech speakers) and it sounds really amazing. HCC didnt think it looked much but I think it looks neat and anyway I didnt buy it to look at.
    Should be upgrades for DVD A and the Sony SACD format etc. It already has MPEG (whatever that is) and HDCD so hopefully it should be able to deal with just about everything audio eventually.
    No probs with region hack by the way.

12. Matt Horne

Matt Horne

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +119
    Right.. another question about the Arcam..

How does the layer change perform? My Pioneer 606 has always been quite abrupt in changing layers and so I wonder hows does the Arcam shape up.. and has there been any probs the usual suspect discs eg T2, The Matrix etc etc ?

Cheers

Matt

13. Nuno Santos

Nuno Santos

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3
    A few questions regarding these players:

Does the Arcam have a progressive scan output?
    The Arcam has built in region hack (via handset). The Sony, I presume, needs some sort of hack installed (like a mod chip) isn't it so? Won't this increase it's price?

How do they compare in terms of CD performance?

I apreciate your help.

NS

14. charles

charles

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +148
    I have not heard any dvd player outperform even a mid-priced cd player as yet..
    But the sony 7700 comes pretty close...as does the pioneer 737.
    Nevertheless,i would not buy a dvd player for its cd performance anyway-thats an extra,it should be considered on the strengths of its dvd performance.

15. charles

charles

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +148
    p.s.Bob Tomalski is a dipstick...i once had the misfortune to speak to him and would say he was arrogance personified...

16. lmccauley

lmccauley

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +213
    Matt,
    I auditioned an Arcam about a month ago and compared it against my Pioneer 606. I can't remember how well it handles layer changes, but it played The Matrix fine (including the White Rabbit) and menu screens responded much quicker on the Arcam than the 606 (especially the opening menu of the Matrix which is very unresponsive with the 606). On a small screen (29" 4X3 Sony), I found the picture quality to be only marginally better on the Arcam (except for non-anamorphic pictures which had noticably less jaggies - although maybe this was due to using RGB connections on the Arcam and s-vid on the 606).

Nuno,
    The Arcam DV88 doesn't have Progressive Scan output, but the FMJ version will. I wonder if Arcam will make the PS board available as an upgrade for the DV88?
    CD quality on the DV88 sounded comparable to my Arcam 7CD, although I couldn't compare them directly (I only had enough power cables for one to be connected at a time). If I do get an Arcam DV88/FMJ, then I will certainly be trading in my 7CD.

Charles,
    I can't speak for anyone else, but the reason I'd like to have a DVD player that also plays CDs well is so that I have one less box in my AV rack - which nicely leaves room for a digibox :).

Cheers,
    Liam

------------------
    "Do you hear that, Mr. Anderson? That is the sound of inevitability."