Sony DVP-S7700 + Techtronics mod

Discussion in 'Blu-ray & DVD Players & Recorders' started by Mr Incredible, Jan 23, 2005.

1. Mr Incredible

Mr Incredible
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +11,927
    Hi all,

I have recently acquired one of the above but with no list of the modded functions which are accessed/set up with codes from the remote control.

Does anyone have a copy of such a list of functions? I've done a web search etc but drawn a blank,

Cheers

:thumbsup:

Bob

2. schillaci0

schillaci0

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +14
    Hi, put the dvd into standby press the number of the region you require on the remote pointed at the dvd, switch the dvd back on and play as normal. Please note that you do not have do this every time only when you change region, hope this helps

3. Mr Incredible

Mr Incredible
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +11,927
    Thanks for that.

I had been hoping that something like that would have suppressed the Macrovision too as I believe the Techtronics mod did this.

The selecting of Region 1 was I beleive was either manual (as suggested) or entirely automatic by this mod.

On the service menu for the Sony it appears that SW2 is ON and SW3 is OFF, whatever they are!!!

Thanks

4. schillaci0

schillaci0

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +14
    it does it will give you a clean signal for recording as i have done this hooked up to a dvd recorder

5. schillaci0

schillaci0

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +14
    just to add i think this is the parragon mod

6. Mr Incredible

Mr Incredible
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +11,927
    Well, here's my conundrum:

The Sony will output S-Video with no Macrovision. My TV happily shows that. As soon as I have component out via a Componenet to RGB via Keene electronics RGB2C (reversed mode) to my TV (RGB Scart) then any DVD with copy protection on it (Monsters Inc for instance) I get Macrovision "artefacts" on the TV. A non protected DVD like Matrix - Reloaded, plays perfectly via this arrangement.

The switiching of regions to region 1 then back to region 2 still produces Macrovision problmes on the component out. THe SOny S7700 I have does not have Scart (RGB) so I have to use the component (preferred) or S-Video (works but not as good as component).

Bummer.

Bob

7. Mr Incredible

Mr Incredible
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +11,927
    ... how would I confirm what type or Mod I have? Is there some clue left in the Service Menu? OR is there some tell tale H/W signs I should look for?

Cheers

8. schillaci0

schillaci0

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +14
    I dont know of anything that can record a signal in component so you have answered your own query use the player with the s-video and use a good quality lead

9. schillaci0

schillaci0

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +14
    mine had a sticker on the side

10. Mr Incredible

Mr Incredible
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +11,927
    Yeah, double bummer.

But as my 50" RP LCD TV has PAP, and having inserted a non-protected DVD, I could do a side by side comparison of component out (converted to RGB) on my Scart 1 socket (RGB enabled) and Scart 4 (S-Video enabled). The component picture was noticebly an improvement on the S-Video. (S-Video lead is a high quality double screened OFC gold plated jobby) Hence my curiosity as to whether a DVD mod (mine or any one else's) would remove Macrovison off the component. It's looking remarkably like the mod I have removes Macrovision of the S-Video only, not component.

I am now resigned to buying a Macrovision Remover inbuilt in a Scart so that I can at least watch copy protected DVDs via RGB on my TV. Ironically I had a Tosh 330e before "upgrading" to a S/H S7700, and the RGB output was clear. DOH!

But the sound quality between the Sony and Tosh is like night and day. The Sony is an awesome piece of kit. Pity I bought a S7700 which does not have RGB Scarts. I'm sure if it had I would not be in this pickle!

:(