1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Sony DVP S7700 replacement

Discussion in 'Blu-ray & DVD Players & Recorders' started by togad, Sep 14, 2002.

1. togad

togad

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3
    Hi all,

I have a US version of the above DVD player, and am considering replacing it. Two main reasons, one, I've never had it modded and so it will only play R1 DVD's, two, I'm a bit fed up with having to use a step-down transformer.

I'm wondering what sort of money I'd have to pay these days for a new DVD player (to play R1 & R2 discs naturally) that is of similar quality to the Sony. I can't really be bothered to go through the hassle (and expense) of modding the 7700.

It's hooked up to a Panasonic TC47PT1 telly, digital out to a Meridian 565 (i.e. I don't need on board DD decoding), Meridain DSP5000's all round. [edit] Oh, I'm not interested in CD playback quality as I've got a 500 transport for that. [/edit]

Sorry if this is a bit of a basic question, but I haven't had a need to buy any kit for several years so am not up to date with what's out there currently.

2. JSW

JSW

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +300
    Toshiba SD900E from leconcepts £699

3. togad

togad

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3
    Ouch, really? Must admit I'm surprised that I'd have to pay that much for similar quality. I honestly would have thought that the "lower" end of the market would be as good as the "mid" end was 3 years ago. Just to clarify, I'm not looking for "today's equivalent" of the S7700, just something as good.

Regards,

Gerald.

4. JSW

JSW

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +300
    Heheh sorry m8

If you want sony then the NS900 will be coming down in price as its just been replaced by the NS905

It was £400 but expect this to drop some now, try your nearest Superfi as they do some great price cuts on last years model to get rid of stock.

Or theres the Toshiba 510 which is reputed on these forums to be a great player and can be had for £280 if you look around.