Sony DVP-S735D and C:13:00

J

Jonny1973

My 2 year old Sony DVP-S735D DVD Player has started acting up.

Before playing a DVD it makes lots of whirring noises, struggles with layer changes and sometimes stops saying "C:13:00"

Is my player shagged???

The discs don't look dirty. I've tried a lense cleaning dvd and using the auto alignment in the service menu. But it's still acting up.

:mad:

Before playing a DVD it makes lots of whirring noises, struggles with layer changes and sometimes stops saying "C:13:00"
I have a first generation sony dvp-315 in my Daughters bedroom which has just started to give the same error message on a blue screen, It did this at the weekend with Snow white R2, I pressed menu and they it seemed to play alright.
Not sure what the message means but I do have an old mag in the loft which tells you how to get into the service menu, it tells you how to auto align the laser, maybe this will cure it. :confused:

P.S Mine doe's not suffer from (lots of whirring noises, struggles with layer changes)

To get to service mode,

put the player in standby
then press Title, Clear, ON

I tried option 1. Drive Auto Adjustment

But still have the problem.

The C:13:00 message means dirty disk but could also mean f***ed laser.

:mad:

The player cost me £500 2years ago and £75 last year to get it chipped again for RCE disks.

The C:13:00 message means dirty disk but could also mean f***ed laser

Not another of my Sony products going down the pan :mad:

I payed £450 for the 315, it was the first Sony player on the market in the UK. :eek: What I could get for £450 now :mad:

Has anyone ever had a DVD player repaired for this fault?

How much did it cost?

I don't really want to buy another DVD player yet, I've just bought a Pro-V to get progressive scan out of my 2 year old £600 Sony player.

Jonny

I know you don't want to hear this but it would probably be cheaper to buy a new player.
Try posting a new thread, asking for repair centre recommendations.

Out of interest, how many hours has your laser done?

Originally posted by Jonny1973
Hi tim,

2,334 hours
That doe's sound quite a lot, I wonder what the service life is meant to be.

A bit obvious this one, but did you try a laser cleaning disc?

My Brother has had two differant makes of dvd player totally wreck two disc's. They both went back. The laser seams to have dropped and scratched the disc's.

Tim,

I've tried

Allsop laser lens cleaner from HMV,
cleaning my DVDs,
aligning the heads using auto mode in the service menu,
swearing at it.

I guess I'll have to take it to my local $ony $ervice centre. Luckily, it's 2 miles away!!

Good luck with the $ony centre, hope it doesn't cost too much.
Let me know how you get on.

Cheers.

join the club with the C13:00 error!!!

I've been getting it for a while now, on various dvd's....and to think i paid £500 for my 725 when it first came out!

Hi Jonny

Have you tried removing the cover and wiping the laser lens gently using a cotton bud. It worked on my Sony 725 which was skipping and freezing on various discs (can't remember if I had an error message though). This happened a few months ago and although my hopes were not high because the laser lens looked clean already, it worked a treat. No problems since.

Obvious safety rules apply: Disconnect player from mains first, anti static measures etc.

Rich

My 715 does this error occasionally on a few discs - but then works if you have another go, it seems to be on Warners or Disney discs especially layer changes

Problems I have had are A Perfect Storm, 6th Sense, Jungle Book, & Matrix

Matrix normally plays all way through, but once stuck at the L/C with that error!

MJN,

Me too! me too! C:13 error for 12m or more; initially helped by lens cleaning but of late my 725 won't play dual layer no matter what I do. There was talk of a class action law suite in the USA, but then there would, wouldn't there?

I decided to get another player, as per this thread.

Bummer, really, as it wasn't a bad player.

At last the World has started to find out how poor $ony products really are.

I removed the lid tonight and gave the lens a clean with a lens cleaning cloth.

....but the player still isn't happy.

I removed the lid tonight and gave the lens a clean with a lens cleaning cloth.

....but the player still isn't happy.

I'll do mine next week, when the Toshiba has arrived, and let you know the outcome. Is the lens easy to get to?

Hi Gwynne,

Once you've removed the 5 (2 each side, 1 back) screws from the lid, you are faced with a black plastic circular housing with 2 screws. It's under there. Should take a couple of minutes.

Then re-align using the service menu (player off,title, clear, power). It's recommended that you recalibrate using a single layer disc then a dual layer disk.

Once you've removed the 5 (2 each side, 1 back) screws...
Ta. Wish me luck; I'm going in...
It's recommended that you recalibrate using a single layer disc then a dual layer disk.
<python>
I lie awake at night dreaming of playing dual layer disks. Lucky, lucky b**tard
</python>

I have found the setup/engineers menu for the first time after having probs with c:13:00

It says i have done cd 19hrs and dvd 1912hrs

Which option do i use for recalibtration?

There are several options?

1. Drive Auto Adjustment
2. Drive Manual Operation
3. Mecha Aging
4. Emergancy History
5. Version Information
6. Video Level Adjustment

I get the impression i have to put disks in but i'm not sure which disc is for what if you know what i mean.

With 1912hrs playback is it worth it?

I get that code on my sony S715 too occasionally :0(

Mostly with DVD-Rs, and some US discs. I just assumed that my player was OLD, and no compatible with some of the newer discs.

Where can you find a manual you can download, the User manual, and the service manual ... can't find them on the internet.

I have had the error only once with my NS900. It was caused by a Memorex DVD-R I made from a TV recording. All my commercial DVD's play fine (nearly 1000 from over six years).

I then found it also didn't play on five other players but, it did play on my Panasonic HS2.

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom