Sony DVP S735

Discussion in 'Blu-ray & DVD Players & Recorders' started by Max147, Mar 20, 2001.

1. Max147

Max147

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Does anybody know if this player has any known bugs like lip-synch problems. I am looking to buy one and want to make sure it will be Ok.

2. Sam

Sam

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +9
    I have one of these players and although I've heard it has some problems (apparantly Rancid Aluminium has some lip sync errors), I've yet to find a disc that doesn't play. That includes problem discs such as Gladiator, Toy Story Box Set Disc 3, Matrix, etc...

3. Max147

Max147

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Do you reckon that the Rancid Aluminium disk could be at fault here, rather than the player?

4. Sam

Sam

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +9
    Not sure, I've only heard of this problem through www.r2-dvd.org where they have a fault reporting system. I haven't had a disc refuse to play yet, but I only have around 30 discs. I know that ArthurS has a 735 too, maybe he could tell you if he's had any lip sync problems.

Sam

5. Arthur.S

Arthur.S

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Yes I can! Max, I've got around 140/150 discs. Not had a problem with any of them. [​IMG]

------------------
    www.baldyplex.com

6. Guest

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Most of the discs reported as not working properly on the Sony players are actually disc faults (SOny fix the lip-sync problem with their last firmware update so any disc which is still out of sync was mastered out of sync, ie. parts of Enemy of the State)

Most of the other problems are caused by dodgy hardware (ie. lens mis-alignment, failed laser pickup (not very common)

My Sony 725 play all 450 of my discs with no problems.

The only 2 discs that I know for sure playup on the Sony players are The Jungle Book R2 (pauses on load, SOLUTION: press stop then play) and one of the extras (artwork) on Heavy Metal (same problem as Jungle Book but Columbia Tristar featurelocked the buttons so you can't get past it (not very good considering that Sony own Columbia Tristar)

7. Black 5

Black 5

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3
    CW2000,

450 discs!! Incredible!! I'm going to keep your post for the next time my missus accuses me of dvd addiction [​IMG]

8. Jenz

Jenz

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Arthur S is right, in fact to lend credence to what he said I have too many DVDs [​IMG] and a Sony 725.

I have experienced Lip-Sync on 3 discs only: these were The Mummy R1 (though the R4 plays fine), Saving Private Ryan R1 DTS, and Bowfinger R1.

Using the Sony's Autocalibration service menu fixed all three discs.

9. Rupert Bear

Rupert Bear
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I have a Sony 735 (modified for all region playback) and have had lip sync problems. Most of the time, pausing and restarting the disc does the trick. On some, however, the problem is chronic - the worst offender is Secrets and Lies (R2) which is about 6 frames out. Toy Story 2 (R1) and Jungle Book (R2)are always a bit out. I've tried recalibrating using the service menu but to no effect.

Other niggles with the 735
    - it doesn't have a zoom feature
    - it often turns itself off when I press eject to insert a disc (there must be a knack to this which I haven't got yet
    - it has a slow layer change (which doesn't unduly bother me but which some fund very annoying)

All in all, it's not the dream machine the reviews led me to expect.

10. Arthur.S

Arthur.S

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    When I met Jenz (neil) at the HCC awards, he told me that he had 1300 discs!! and he'd just sold 400!! [​IMG]

------------------
    www.baldyplex.com

11. Sam

Sam

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +9
    My multi region 735 plays R1 Toy Story 2 perfectly.