1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Sony DVP-S735 Dementia

Discussion in 'Blu-ray & DVD Players & Recorders' started by MickTheMac, Jun 30, 2003.

1. MickTheMac

MickTheMac
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    My poor old Sony has suddenly become incapable of registering inserted disks, though it grumbles valiantly to itself before coming to this conclusion. A brief forum search seemed to indicate the need for a replacement laser.

However, a somewhat shrugging local dealer suggested a new machine of equivalent spec could be purchased for scarcely more than the cost of repair. Loathed as I am to simply bin a beloved player which cost 400 quid just over 2 years ago, I was wondering just what an equivalent model might be and how accurate the dealer's assessment was. Can anyone advise, or perhaps suggest a more helpful dealer?

2. nathan_silly

nathan_silly

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Did he give you a quote on parts & labour?

3. MickTheMac

MickTheMac
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Not exactly - he simply indicated that the repair would come to at least £130 and a suitable replacement would cost about £200. Not the most precise data on which to making an informed choice I grant you, hence the general query.

4. nathan_silly

nathan_silly

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    'bout right.

You could sell that 735 as parts (sure someone might want one for replacement MPEG/audio/transformer/case)

£200 DVD players are quite good, but a step down on build quality. I've noticed drop down in build on the lower models.

Checkout Pioneer 6xx range, Panasonics, Toshiba's..

Personally I would not repair it...I have a early R1 Sony (DVP-S500D) that cost £600, it's a great player but if it costs £200 to repair- well go a new Panny RP-91K or something.

5. MickTheMac

MickTheMac
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks Nathan. Looks like I'll be kit hunting again. Seems a bit sad retiring such a nice bit of kit so young though.

6. Ekko Star

Ekko Star

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +374
    2 years is not a long time really for a top Sony model. Do you know how many hours you've done on it in that time ? (service menu will tell you the hours on the laser).

I've done approx 500hrs on my NS900 in 6 mths which is going perfect and I would have thought a previous incarnate of this model would be as robust really ????

Sympathise with your situation but in the long run you would probably be better off buying a replacement :(

7. nathan_silly

nathan_silly

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I've heard the Sony NS900 is a re-badged Samsung.

8. Ekko Star

Ekko Star

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +374
    Samsung ?:D :D :D

Jee's... I hear a new one every day but where on earth did you get that one from mate ?

Seriously though - what Samsung model is it meant to be based on ?:confused:

9. MickTheMac

MickTheMac
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Ekko Star
    I'll definitely have to find out the number of viewing hours as I really don't think it's been used that much. After all, one of it's selling points was the ability to save individual settings for up to 200 disks - I doubt it's seen a third of that, and only a dozen or so more than once (if you discount endless repeats of Harry Potter by the younger generation)! I suspect an inbuild aversion to Stepford Wives, during which it died.

10. nathan_silly

nathan_silly

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Before you bin it, have you tried the auto calibration? I did the calibration for dual layer & single layers and layer changed seemed faster.

11. Ekko Star

Ekko Star

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +374
    say then 100 movies at approx 2.5hrs each = 250 hrs.

Not a lot really over two years. I would be a bit peev'd if that was all I got out of £400 kit.

I suppose you've tried all the basic stuff like cleaning the laser to see if that would help ?

12. MickTheMac

MickTheMac
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Good thinking Nathan. As luck would have it my problems began with an error code 13:00, which I managed to track down in the forum. Sadly, neither buying a lens cleaner nor running the calibration solved my problems, leaving me with only the replacement laser solution still to try.

13. fatbob

fatbob
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Your Sony 735 should have lasted longer than two years before developing problems of this type, but there would be a few disadvantages to replacing it with a cheap model.

When you get used to the smooth scan feature and the very nimble disk navigation, using many other dvd players (especially cheaper ones) seems very slow and clunky in comparison.

I bought a Sony 725 in 1999 , and at the end of 2001 decided I wanted a second player for my bedroom. I got a high end Toshiba SD9000 at a knockdown price (reduced from £800 to £300) and thought that this would replace the Sony as my main player.

It turns out that I was so spoiled by the smooth operation of the Sony, that using the Toshiba felt primitive in comparison. Much as I love the SD9000, I ended up using that as the bedroom player.

When you take into account other features, such as being able to create your own chapters on up to 200 disks, getting the 735 repaired ( as long as you know of a competent service centre who can do the job properly) is worth considering.

I agree though that when a piece of equipment fails this quickly, it doesn't give you much confidence in the brand or the product, and in the same circumstances I might be tempted to go with a new player, but only one similar status (funds permitting).

Also, a lot of (but not all) cheaper dvd players only give you one scart, which means you have to sacrifice RGB loopthrough, a big disadvantage if you need to connect two RGB sources, such as a dvd player and a digibox.

14. MickTheMac

MickTheMac
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Checked the service menu this evening as suggested - it has apparently done 520 hours of dvd and 23 hours of CD. Can't say I feel much better for finding that out!

15. mjn

mjn
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4,506
    the dreaded C13:00 error......the most common on Sony's!!

16. muzz10

muzz10

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Has anyone here had the lazer changed on a Sony. It'm thinking about it as well for my Sony with the C13. Would be interested to hear how the "new" lasers have been going. I jcan't face chucking the 725 either as it's was/is a good player.

17. muzz10

muzz10

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Ps, where's the spell check button

18. domfjbrown

domfjbrown

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    God no - not that blooming C13 error again! My mate's Sony 325 died recently - and up until then was unreliable for over a year... My 1999 525 is now his main player (on loan) - and touch wood, I've NEVER had a C13 - although instead, mine kept losing lipsync. Loathe to waste good money after bad on the unreliable thing - I never bothered upgrading the firmware.

I used to think Sony were good quality, but their optical decks are fairly useless in my opinion. So smooth scan etc are very nice features (VERY nice features in fact!) but if the optical deck's going to fail after only 570 hours then what's the point?

Even their TVs are going down hill on reliability - my 1997 one needed a new motherboard a week after purchase - although to be fair it's been perfect ever since. I've got through 2 Sony VHS machines (both rubbish - both rented thank god), a noisy Sony MD full size machine, a Sony MD walkman that jammed - three times! - and the first of the line for the Sony errors - a Sony CD player that couldn't even grip discs properly.

All these experiences have put me off buying ANYTHING else by Sony - including the PS2, which is a shame as their DVD players - when they work - seem to be up there with the best for picture quality and speed of disc access. My tide-me-over Samsung S224 is VERY crude in comparison to the 525, and is as unreliable, in different ways.

Yep - I'm afraid a C13 error usually means a new transport - my mate's recalibrated his 325 about 50 times (I'm not exaggerating here either!) and it won't even read CDs now...

Here's hoping Precision Drive II actually WORKS.... :)

19. danny-p

danny-p

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    My 735d dvd player has started having dificulties reading certain disks and after a long, noisy search for the discs data it comes up with the c13:00 error??
    What is this error as the m/c can play discs all day fine @ times?
    thanks

Danny-p

20. Galaxy

Galaxy

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +6
    I second this question... what is this C13 error?
    I have had a 725 sonce 1999 as well, but it has not been used for the past three years since we got a projector and HCTPC to play the DVD's on. But now we just installed a Plasma the Sony is back in service, superb component picture, BTW does this model (725) output progressive?

Best regards David

21. Galaxy

Galaxy

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +6
    Oh yes, and how do you get to the service menu? I havent seen that in the user manual!!!

Best regards David

22. danny-p

danny-p

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Anyone....Please??:smashin:

23. Uzey

Uzey

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Everyone....try this........

Get some 'pure' alcohol and some cotton buds (from Maplins etc....). Now, open up the player and locate the laser lens. Wet the bud in alcohol and 'gently' rub it on the lens, turning it as you do so. Now use the dry end and 'buff' it dry.
    Repeat if necessary.

I have cured a lot of 'error reading' DVD players and PS2's using this method. It is very common, especially if you are a smoker.

24. danny-p

danny-p

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I'm gonna try this with some of that disc clean spray....its pure alcohol i think..(either way the stuff evapourates @ room temp)
    I;l let you know

Danny=p

25. rkb

rkb

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +27
    My Sony 725 had a C13 error some time ago. Some "canned air" on the laser area solved the problem.

Service menu- as asked by Galaxy earlier- I'm curious about what's in there- can anyone advise us and provide an access code?

Thanks

rkb

ps I also have a Sony 735- same code for this?

26. MickTheMac

MickTheMac
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Galaxy

I would give you a nice short link to the threads I used when first looking into this problem but I don't know how. You can find most of the info about the service menu and C13:00 by doing a search of this dvd forum for "sony service menu" or similar.

It's been a while so I can't remember doing it, but it seems that to get to service mode menu, you put the player in standby then press Title, Clear, ON

27. mjn

mjn
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4,506
    C13:00 is where the laser can't focus on the disc. Using the sevice menu you can re-calibrate this.

28. SCO7T

SCO7T

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +17
    Hi there
    i am having the same problem with my sony dvp 735 again
    although it happened about 18 months ago and had it repaired then under guarentee
    looking at the secret menu it has done 117 hours of dvds and 13 hours of cds
    although i love the machine dont think i will pay to have it done as i dont know how long it will last again.
    ps did you have anyjoy with yours
    regards
    scott lewis

29. Steve Zodiac

Steve Zodiac

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +173
    I recently had the same problem with my Sony 735.

The fault on my 735 was caused by a very small surface mount fuse blowing which was quite tricky to unsolder and replace. It also required a couple of even smaller surface mount resistors (about 1mm x 0.5mm) replacing which is apparently is an upgrade that is recommended by Sony, probably required to prevent the fuse blowing again.

I originally believed that the laser assembly could have failed and ordered a new one. Unfortunately the new one I received was faulty and would not identify a disc present! As it turned out, the original laser was fine and it's now up and running again.

It would seem that some authorised Sony repairers don't know about this repair and upgrade and simply assume (as I did) that the laser will have failed.

So to sum up; it cost about a fiver to repair including the cost of some magnifying glasses to enable me to see the components. Oh.....and a fair bit of swearing!!

30. Dean

Dean

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +178
    Got a Sony DVP-S525D which is still going strong (for 5 years HEAVY use), yes there are rare instances where the C13 code has come up but extremely rarely IME. I still wouldn't change it as the GUI is just perfect and its extremely slick to use. Plus the picture and sound is still top notch :smashin: By the way can anyone tell me who to access the service menu, be interested to know how many hours i've clocked :)