Sony DVP-S715

Discussion in 'Blu-ray & DVD Players & Recorders' started by MartinImber, May 30, 2001.

1. MartinImber

MartinImber

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +21
    How does the 715 compare to newer players, is it worth looking at another player or should I wait until it breaks down or wears out.

The only missing things are DTS out and bookmark AFAIK

2. Max147

Max147

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    It depends if you're pleased with it or not. The 715 was Sony's First generation machine and whilst it had a fantastic picture quality,it did have quite a few bugs with it (certain discs wouldn't play and some scenes in movies would play in slow
    motion). You could get a better machine for about £200, but if you're happy with it, keep it.

3. Reiner

Reiner

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +13
    Unless you "need" DTS right now keep it until it breaks down.
    Wouldn't expect to see a major improvement in newer players (around the same price), except for a longer feature list.

4. rsjt

rsjt

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I've just upgraded from a 715 to a Pioneer DV-737 and using a Sony KV-36FS70 I can't tell much difference in picture quality using RGB, so stick with it unless you need DTS (which is why I bought the Pioneer).

5. MartinImber

MartinImber

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +21
    Yes I am quite happy with it except for lack of DTS which isn't worth paying for a new player for, and multi region.

R2 only I know but 1) needed DD Amp, 2) Needed W/S TV 3) Need £100 to chip it.

I really would like R4!!!!!

Oh and I find 3/2 pull down irritating. I've got over 120 discs, if it is substantially worse on R2 I just don't buy it.

Seen plenty of R1 to get annoyed by 3/2 pulldown - in shops and my dad bought a Wharfedale to borrow my discs.

I don't think 32" is big enough to show any real differences once you are over a certain level. The 715 has a decent MPEG decoder unlike some new budget models and has always been in RGB (when I realised I had it in wrong Scart on previous TV).

On the above DVD is so much better than tapes, and the composite was pretty good on my old 25" Sony (pre SVM nasties) that it took me a couple of weeks to notice I was on non RGB Scart.

The 715 is well made, my dads Wharfedale is flimsy, slow to get going, and the remote is yuk! :)