1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Sony DVP-S336 vs Samsung HD850

Discussion in 'Blu-ray & DVD Players & Recorders' started by skk3, Sep 19, 2005.

1. skk3

skk3

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +258
    I recently had cause to return my HD850 to Comet as it did not appear able to output a component signal to my Toshiba 32WL48 TV. I ha=ve tried twice to contact Toshiba about this in case it is the TV at fault (the HD850 had to be returned due to time constraints). I have to say though, my 6 year old Sony still has a fab picture even when using a 10m scart as I have to do! I used the HDMI hook-up with the Samsung utilising the free HDMI cable but was slightly disappointed in the digital picture. Has anybody else out there had problems like mine?

2. PJTX100

PJTX100

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +562
    Hi. With so many output options now on DVD players it can be a bit of a clunky process getting the signal to output to the right place, because it often needs to be done via a menu which you may lose sight of while doing it!

I suspect the 850 was outputting to HDMI which IIRC stops the component output. Either way, you had a lucky escape - if it's anything like the Samsung HD745 the component output will not be great. I similarly wasn't impressed with the digital pics from the Samsung. Try the Pioneer 575 for component, or the Oppo for DVI/HDMI...PJ :)

3. skk3

skk3

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +258
    Thanks for your reply - gosh that 575 gets a lot of press! Is it really that good and would it be better than my Sony for £99.00? Richer Sounds' stocks cannot last forever..........

4. PJTX100

PJTX100

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +562
    YES!

Very likely it will be, though if it isn't Richer should have no qualms taking it back...PJ :)

5. skk3

skk3

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +258
    I'll see if there are any left - their Leicester and Milton Keynes branches are near me.

Just out of interest my friend runs an Akai 30 in LCD TV (that has just been rereleased) together with a Sony LS500 player through component and his picture is just fabulous - no noise whatsoever even if you view right up close!

6. PJTX100

PJTX100

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +562
    When you get it, you'll find it has plenty of video adjustment options. Try setting Detail to "Fine", also try switching the BNR (block noise reduction) on and off, see which you prefer.

It would be interesting to see it on an 83" screen...PJ ;)