Sony DVP-NS955

Discussion in 'Blu-ray & DVD Players & Recorders' started by GFS AV, Apr 9, 2005.

1. GFS AV

GFS AV
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi folks,
    A lot of you may know the grief i've been through over the last year or so, trying to find a decent player. You may recall me being quite happy with my previous player, the Marantz DV4500. I was very happy with this... until it died (kept freezing!) - sent back. Firstly, i'll give you the details on each unit i've tried. In order:

Pioneer 550 - Sent away twice for same fault :(
    NAD T512 - Poor picture quality, shoddy build, sold on :(
    Cambridge A 540D - refused to display subtitles, sent back :confused:
    Yamaha 540 - poor sound quality, sold on. :(
    Denon 1400 - ok, but too noisy! hateful mechanical sound :(
    Denon 1910 - same sort of thing. below par picture through RGB scart :thumbsdow
    Roksan Kandy III - hideously slow layer change :eek:
    Marantz DV4500 - see above

So, as you can imagine, i've been pretty p****d over the last year trying one after another! As you can see above, I got sick of looking for a 'good' budget machine, and dug my hand further in my pocket, and went for the higher-end (£650 RRP!) Roksan! Even this failed on me :rolleyes:

Now, after reading quite a bit, and getting a lot of info on the Sony DVP-NS955, I am absolutely over the moon with my new unit!!! :clap: I paid £200 for this (£70 less than RRP), and last night, during the initial setup, I was astounded with the quality. Yes, you may be thinking "heard it all before with the Marantz", but... the Sony is clearly a cut above everything else i've tried! Sony have'nt skimped on anything at all in my opinion.

A brief review then:

Build quality and finish
    While connecting the unit (via coax), I was very surprised with the quality of build and finish. The only one that came close here was the Roksan, but that was a real heavy duty beast. The finish is very neat, nice solid casework and aluminium front. Sony have paid attention to detail here. Even things like the feet, I noticed are very high standard. The disc tray glides very quietly and smoothly, and the only very slight noise from the mechanism is when it reads a disc. Whilst in operation, totally quiet - unlike any of the above!

More importantly - picture quality
    I played Return of the King last night. I'll be brief - the Sony is a serious cut above everything else i've tried. The Marantz was excellent here, but the Sony is literally a leap ahead!! Much more cinematic, 3D-like, perfect colours, excellent crisp detail, very smooth motion. Seriously if I didnt know what I was watching, I would have guessed something very high-end! It tortures any other player i've had - even the £400 Denon. Leagues ahead :smashin:

Equally as important - sound quality
    Don't believe what you read about there being no difference between players when connecting via coax. Utter nonsense. Whilst waiting for the Sony, I used my brothers Pacific (ASDA), and the sound quality was hateful. I couldnt wait to get back to a good player! The Sony sound absolutely superb - details, effects, clarity, everything seems so much better than what I have used before. The NAD was probably the better of the above units in this regard, but the Sony even wallops that. I havent tried it with CDs or SACD yet, cant wait.

Remote
    Most of the others were very impractical, buttons all over the place, not organised, poorly layed out, and tacky build. The Sony is somewhat different again. Very sensibly layed out. Only light in weight, but still built nicely with a very good finish. The important buttons i.e. play, pause, stop, glow in the dark - a very handy thing for me. None of the above did that. I think the higher-end Denons do as well.

Also, there are apparently countless useful features which I haven't yet had chance to try.

So, that sums up my thoughts on the 955. I hope this helps people make their minds up, if they're unsure on which £200 ish player to go for. This one is here to stay!

Thanks a lot to all who answered my PM questions on the unit, and to everyone who recommended the Sony via the AV forums:thumbsup:

2. superpixel

superpixel

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Great review GFS! :thumbsup:

I think it's pretty easy to get decent picture quality, but like you have found it very difficult to find a player with other qualities (which for me are just as important - build, mechanical noise, front display, layer change, remote, drive tray etc).

I wonder if you'd be so kind as to answer some specific questions on the Sony:

1. Is the layer change seamless?
    2. How is the mechanical noise when skipping chapters and playing DVD-Rs (2 things which can suddenly precipitate one hell of a noise)?
    3. How solid or flimsy is the drive tray?
    4. What output and display are you using?
    5. When playing audio CDs, does a screensaver come on?
    6. Any chance of some pics of the player and remote? :)
    7. You say the front is a nice aluminium finish...what about the top and sides? :) I like a nice body as well as an attractive face :D

I have the Sony DVP-NS355 - although decent, it has foibles, and hadn't seriously considered Sony's upmarket offerings - but now I definitely will ! thanks a lot.

3. superpixel

superpixel

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Just looking at Sony's website....I wonder if the DVP-LS785V does the same job (similar spec apart from DivX) for half the price?! Fingers crossed. Edit: In fact, the LS785 has DivX too...what's the difference, just quality of components/performance maybe?

By the way GFS, congrats on finally finding a player you were happy with, and sharing your findings! Which friendly place took back all those players (my main fear about taking the plunge with one of these mid-price offerings!)?

4. GFS AV

GFS AV
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    thanks mate, i'll try to answer as many questions as poss, baring in mind I havent used it that much yet:

1. Not noticed any layer change at all so far.
    2. I only use original region 2s, but when changing chapters, VERY little noise. When playing a disc I cant hear it AT ALL which is superb. I only sit about 2-3 metres away too, so this has been a big problem for me before.
    3. The tray itself is as solid as you can expect from something this thin. It it far from badly made. Very sturdy considering the thin it is. When opening/closing, it is perfect. Very smooth and quiet - this was when I knew I was onto a winner. Every other player i've had has seemed likely to fall apart compared to this.
    4. I am using RGB scart on a 28" Pan flat screen. Even through RGB this is awesome! Prog Scan, must be unreal.
    5. Not played CDs yet.
    6. I have a good digital camera and will post some good quality pics when I get chance. Off out soon though. Superb remote BTW! Sony definately have their heads screwed on. Really well layed out, and nice finish etc...
    7. ok, the casework is very solid, no nasty squeaking or anything. This unit is really well put together, take it from me. But...wait for it... it's made of... VEGETABLES! HAHA no seriously, there's a sticker on it's box saying it's made partly from vegetable-based plastic!!! Rest assured though, it seems to me like good solid quality metal! I cant see this veggie thing being a good selling point HAHA!

I'll have a go with CDs when I get a spare hour or so. As for the other Sony models, I cant comment. But so far, this beast is faultless!!! Rather than go for a cheaper model, which no doubt are good, I would stretch for this one. It's their current flagship model, and it seems they've concentrated on getting it right! I cant stress what good value it is. As you read earlier, i've been through my fair share of tat, some sent/taken back, some fleabayed etc, but this is different. Yes, I have lost maybe a couple of hundred quid from the beginning, but I am passed that now, and just releaved the quest is over!

Also, about the quality of components used, I think the 955 will have superior components to the lower models i.e. the Precision Drive Mech 3 (I think it's called), is outstanding. Very quiet operation as explained above.

5. Jez

Jez
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks GFS i am looking into getting a multi-region NS955.

Am interested that you are using it on a 28 panny i have a Sony KD28DX200 so its good to hear it looks good on a 28.

If i have any questions will it be ok if i post them?

Cheers :)

6. GFS AV

GFS AV
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi Jez - just got back home. Yeah post any questions and I will do my best to answer. I cant see there being anything that touches the 955 at £200. I was considering getting a 2nd hand high-end Denon or Pioneer with my £200, i'm very happy I decided on the Sony.

7. Jez

Jez
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    How are those pics going ;)

How have you it connected? Will i be ok with a RGB scart connect to my KD28DX for picture quality?

oh out of interest has it a got a wallpaper mode where you can take a screen shot? Just a side note interested to see :D

8. GFS AV

GFS AV
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    ok Jez, or anyone for that matter, if you're after some pics of the Sony please PM me your e-mail address, as the files will be pretty big. I'm just charging my camera batteries then i'll do em. :smashin:

9. Phill_1981

Phill_1981

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +44
    I have this player also and am very happy with it :thumbsup:

10. Jez

Jez
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Where did you get yours from Phil? Is it multi-region play everything ok?

Cheers:)

11. Phill_1981

Phill_1981

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +44
    Yes, multi region plays everything ok. got it conncted tot the LCD via component Progressive Scan! Can't remember where i purchased, was online... i'll check when I get home from work!

12. Phill_1981

Phill_1981

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +44
  13. Jez

Jez
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks for that Phil that is where i am looking to get it from, glad to hear it plays everything including rce.

That was my only worry.

Cheers:)

14. Phill_1981

Phill_1981

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +44
    HOLD ON!!!!!!!!

Thinking about it, I don't think I have tried RCE :oops:

15. Phill_1981

Phill_1981

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +44
  16. Jez

Jez
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks phill on there site it says
    So should be ok (hopefully), was the service ok delivery time etc?

17. Phill_1981

Phill_1981

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +44
    yep, free next day if i remember correctly!

18. Jez

Jez
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Cheers :smashin:

19. BillSykes

BillSykes
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2

Phil,

I notice you have the same set up as me Sony ns955 to Philips 32pf9986 via progressive scan (messy adaptor configuration isn't it :rolleyes: ). I have found the picture quality is awesome!!! :cool: :smoke:

But, :(

I get an intermittent blue screen. It only happens through the dvi feed and only happens occasionally. When it does happen though it is very annoying and distracting. I am concerned that this is either the Philips or the ns955. Do you get this too? :confused:

I have noticed that when I turn the ns955 on and insert a dvd I get the Sony screensaver and then when the dvd starts up I get a blue screen before the menu/opening dvd adverts. Do you get this too? :confused:

I would be grateful if you could let me know as it will help me to narrow down whether it is the screen or the player.

Many thanks :smashin:

Jez,

My ns955 is multiregion and it plays everything! :cool:
    (Even my DVDr copy of The Fantastic Four (1994) :rolleyes: !!)

GFS AV,

The coaxial sound is superb!!! :dts: :eek: :smoke:

I'm sure the niggling problem I have is specific to my LCD screen as the ns955 is a stonking machine that I too whollly recommend :thumbsup:

20. Phill_1981

Phill_1981

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +44
    No blue screen for me

21. Dolbyz

Dolbyz

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I bought a new Sony DVP-NS955 about 2 months back to replace my previous Sony DVD player. The main thing that attracted to me this unit, was the price (1/2 price at an anniversary special) and the SACD option.

First the positives. The machine is a brilliant all rounder - and build quality (as everyone else has mentioned) is brilliant! I love the look and feel of this player! This is a QS model which is slightly more upmarket than average. The remore control is excellent as well - and nicely layed out. I also love the SCART connection at the rear, as my TV has this and I do not often find components in South Africa with it.

My major gripe (and the reason for it going back) is SACD playback. I received new "Celine Dion , A Decade of Song" from Amazon.com and the player refuses to play beyond track 6. In fact, it stops at 01:06 minutes.

At first I thought this was a defective SACD (considering it was only my 3rd SACD bought, and the player was 2 months old) and I ordered a second copy at Amazon.com. This too, sticks at Track 6 01:06 minutes!

I then decided to try the SACD on other machines. At first, I tried another two seperate 955 units at different shops. Both of these stopped at Track 6 01:06 minutes as well. This is 3x units in total. I then tried on a Yamaha, a Marantz, a lower model Sony and an expensive Sony. All of these units played the SACD beautifully.

From this I gather the MODEL (and not my specific machine) is at fault. I'm hesitant to order any more SACDs incase I come across another error. It's almost killed the SACD experience for me.

I, unfortunatley, cannot afford the larger SACD Sony machines - and will either downgrade to a LS785 or a Pioneer 575.

22. Sharring

Sharring
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    Can you alter the video output on this machine i.e. contrast/brightness etc

Steve H

23. Mike Austin

Mike Austin

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    OK. I have just joined this forum to ask a couple of questions about the Sony DVP-NS955. I want it mainly for audio playback with DVD-MP3. Does the DVD-text appear on the front panel or only on a screen? And does it cope with long file names?