Sony DVP-NS930V

Discussion in 'Blu-ray & DVD Players & Recorders' started by Simon6776, Aug 27, 2004.

1. Simon6776

Simon6776

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +33
    Hi Guys,

I have my finger on the 'Buy' button at LE Concepts for a Sony DVP-NS930V, as it appears that my Pioneer 656A is having a problem with my Panasonic TV, and a replacement DVD is cheaper than replacing the TV!

Two questions:-

1. Has anyone got one of these, and if so, what do you think? The reviews I have seen are quite promising.

2. Has anyone used LE Concepts ? I emailed them to ask a question, but they haven't bothered to reply, so that doesn't bode well, but the price is about the best I've seen, and they have it in black!

2. Smurfin

Smurfin
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4,349
    Simon

It's an excellent player, no complaints from me. Funnily enough I'm about to sell my silver one as all my kit is now black:rolleyes: I'll be looking for £150 for it, lmk if you're interested and I'll put my ad in the classifieds.

cheers
    Matt

3. Simon6776

Simon6776

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +33
    Thanks for the offer, but I want a black one. :)

4. Buckster

Buckster

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +370
    Smurfin,

I'm too considering replacing my 656 with a 575 but could be pursuaded otherwise - but does Sony have Chroma bug ? (interlaced Component is what I will be using with my Loewe)

Mark.

5. Smurfin

Smurfin
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4,349
    Buckster, not that I'm aware of - I've been happier with this player than some "higher end" models I've owned in the past, if that's anything to go by. You're welcome to a demo if you're in the Bedforshire area.

6. Buckster

Buckster

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +370
    Smurfin - thanks for the reply - I'll do some research over the weekend.

Normally I would't be too bothered with the Chroma Bug - as only have a 32 inch TV - BUT for some reason with my Loewe it causes some very strange effects - like flashing reds and blues and I've even seen the red part of a jumper completely detached from the juimper !!

Thanks for offer of the demo - I could pop over - but to be honest its only really the effect that I get with my specific TV that I'm worried about -so could look great on someone elses.

Mark.

7. Radiohead

Radiohead

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +432
    Horrible layer change on the 930....and very slow around menus.

Well bulit though, and a fine picture.

8. Simon6776

Simon6776

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +33
    Not much different to my old S525D then.

I really don't know what to do. I may even keep the Pio 656, after all. It's a fantastic machine, and seems a pity to retire it, when it would mean losing DVD-Audio, but them I would have to live with this Panny / Pio mismatch issue, and the horrible horizontal banding. This is quite a big deal, as most of my 400+ DVD collection, are NTSC R1 or R3. Decisions...decisions... :rolleyes:

9. Radiohead

Radiohead

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +432
    How about a Denon DVD-2200?

10. Simon6776

Simon6776

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +33
    Yes, fits the bill as far as SACD / DVD-A, but only one scart :( and a bit pricey, but I guess you get what you pay for. Got to have 2 scarts, as I have other stuff which also needs RGB. I'm quite surprised that a machine of that spec and price doesn't have twin scarts, otherwise it might have been worth consideration.

11. Audioguy

Audioguy

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    If you're out of SCART inputs you can use this or similar. That way you're not limited to DVD players that have two SCART connectors. Especially with Pioneer players there are also all kinds of compatibility problems with widescreen switching and such if you feed RGB through it.

I've had a good deal of contact with Panasonic technicians and they say that Pioneer players are notorious for the problems you describe with the horizontal bands. If you are a little bit handy with the soldering iron (or know someone who is) there is one thing you can try that could cure this. If you remove pins 1, 3 and 19 (audio and video out) from your TV's AV1 SCART connector you can reduce crosstalk that can be one reason for the horizontal bands. If you don't want to go at your TV you can modify the SCART cable instead. Just remember to put it back the right way.

Your TV can also be sensitive to Macrovision even if it's not supposed to. You can try playing a disc without Macrovision, e.g. a ripped DVD or a home burned Video CD, they seldom have the Macrovision signal. If that disc doesn't produce the interference you can safely say that it's your TV that can't handle Macrovision. Then it's time to start hunting macrovision killers, they are available as separate boxes or cables. You can also have your player modified so the Macrovision signal is defeated, especially Pioneer players are popular with this kind of mod.

12. Simon6776

Simon6776

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +33
    Thanks for the info, Audioguy. I do have quite a complicated set up, and I currently use the Trilogy 2 Scart Expander, which is similar to what you suggested. Let me try to explain my set up, as simply as I can.

I have 2 Freeview boxes, and 2 DVD Recorders. I use the Freeview boxes and the DVDRs to record stuff, and the Pio 656 to watch what I've recorded, or a DVD movie, while I'm recording other stuff. The 2 Freeview boxes are a Pioneer DBR TF-100, and a Nokia 9850T, which is an old On Digital box, which I want to retain for the card reader. The TF-100 is connected to my Sony GX3 DVDR, via RGB Scart, which is Scart 1 on the Trilogy Scart Multiplier. The Nokia box is connected to my JVC DR-M1 DVDR, which is connected to Scart 2 on the Trilogy. Now, to avoid unwanted RGB switching, when I'm watching something on the 656, the output from the Trilogy goes to AV2 on the 656, then AV1 (RGB) on the 656 is connected to AV1 on the TV, so when I'm not watching the 656, I can still get RGB loopthrough from the Freeview boxes. This allows a direct connection from the RGB out on the 656 to AV1 on the TV. I also have a VCR connected to AV2 in the TV, but I don't think that's affecting anything.

Does that make sense? This is why I need twin scarts on the DVD Player, as I only have one RGB scart on the TV. I would have thought that by not looping the 656 through anything else, I would have avoided any crosstalk, unless it's picking something up from No2 scart, but I have good quality scart leads throughout, and have frequently changed them, to no effect. Also, I have actually disconnected the Trilogy from the 656 AV2, and even with just the scart connection from the 656 to the TV, I still get the horizontal banding.

Another idea was to use S-Video, but there are two reasons why I don't want to do this. One is that there is no S-Video connection in the back of the TV, so a wire would have to be poking out the front, and secondly, anything I'm watching would be forever interrupted by the RGB switching from the other components. Irritating to the point of psychosis after a while, I would think.

By the way, seeing as I started this thread, I have no objection to it being hijacked, to expand the discussion! :D

13. Audioguy

Audioguy

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    You can still get crosstalk even with just one scart cable since they are bidirectional, hence the tip to cut the return loop in your AV1 connector (or your scart cable).

You should be able to set your AV2 or AV4 input in S-video mode and put an S-video to scart adapter there to avoid having an S-video cable sticking out from the front. Not sure if that works on your set but that's how I do on my 36PF10.

14. Simon6776

Simon6776

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +33
    OK, thanks. That gives me a couple of things to try. Sad as it may seem, I'm quite reluctant to move away from RGB, as I find all the auto switching quite useful.