Sony DVP-NS930V Black

Discussion in 'Blu-ray & DVD Players & Recorders' started by NeilMcRae, Aug 25, 2003.

1. NeilMcRae

NeilMcRae

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +6
    Looking for the best price on a Sony DVP-NS930N in black with multiregion enabled. Anyone recommend anywhere?

Neil.

2. Dutch

Dutch

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +280
  3. Gizmo 76

Gizmo 76

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +522
    I've had no problems with 'Techtronics', got mine in 5 days, you might want to phone and check stock levels though as it stated as LOW.

Techtronics.com

4. TopMeTom

TopMeTom
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +261
    IS the player any good?

Phil

5. Gizmo 76

Gizmo 76

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +522
    I would rate yes, compared to my old pioneer 717 that i replace, the pictue quality is GREATLY improved, and it's progressive scan for PAL and NTSC. I think is a not a bad looking machine either.

They are a couple of negative points though, as stated elsewhere on these boards the layer change is not the quickest, no slower than my old 717, but not as fast as other machines, 2 secs tops, "only happens once a movie, were getting far too picky nowadays". Also if you want to play MP3s through the machine there isn't a random option, it'll just play the disc in the order the folders are situated on it.

So for the money i would whole heartedly recommend this machine, if the couple of points i mentioned don't bother that much.:smashin:

6. TopMeTom

TopMeTom
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +261
    I'll be replacing my 717 too,pity as it's a good machine never had any probs with it

7. Gizmo 76

Gizmo 76

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +522
    Yeah it's a great machine, someone offered to buy mine from me, but i couldn't let it go, such a great looking player(champange gold) with a super remote as well. Had a few probs with badly encoded region 1 DVDs, but other than that it's a classic machine.

Like i said before the Sony930 would be a good upgrade :smashin:

8. orioriori

orioriori

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I ordered a black dvp930 multiregion on thursday from Webelectricals.co.uk as they said they were receiving them on the friday. So hopefully i'll have it tomorow (tuesday):) it was £254.99 with free dilivery, a bit more expensive than the cheapest i'd seen but seemed to be the only people who could give me an idea of when they were getting them.

I was gonna go for a black dvp730 at first but avland said sony had no details of when they were going to get them. So in the end I plumped for the 930.

Andrew

9. Bristol Pete

Bristol Pete

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +321
    Guys, I am interested in this player too. However, I have a query.

I currently have a Sony DVP735D. Look here -

http://www.homecinemachoice.com/tes.../testbench/DVDPlayers/Sony/SonyDVP-S735.shtml

It is interlaced only and is a cracking machine. I was wondering if the 930 would be a step back PQ and sound wise despite the prog scan addition or has the budget of the 930 caught up with a three year old deck - if that makes sense????

To me, the spec of both machines seems to be very very similar and the 2 second layer change on the 930 is not an issue for me.

Ideally, I would like to spend 1.5k on a high end Toshiba machine but I have not got that kind of cash at the moment......

Any thoughts?

Thanks,

Cap:)

10. NeilMcRae

NeilMcRae

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +6
    Went from 725 to 705 no loss of quality, would expect the same on your upgrade.

Neil.

11. krl25sc

krl25sc

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I have a 735 and a 930 - via component on my Panasonic 6 there is a pretty noticeable difference (advantage 930) on interlaced output - on progressive the 735 is blown away. Audio seems about the same to me. I would definitely try to do a direct comparison before spending more on more expensive players.

12. cybersoga

cybersoga

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +25
    I have compared my 930 with the Denon 2900 on my screen and I actually prefer the picture from the Sony, although they look exactly the same on the resolution tests on avia. The Sony doesn't have perfect deinterlacing but i'd say it is as good as the Denon. The Denon takes time to switch to 2:2 mode (G on the display), the Sony seems to prefer 2:2 mode and fall back if nessisary. The Denon had a chroma delay -0.7, wheas the sony was closer to 0.

13. tony kop77

tony kop77

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +178
    How does the 930 compare to the 900NV ?

14. robbster

robbster

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +13
    cybersoga

Have you seen any of the toshiba players in action. I have a tosh 510e and wondered if the interlacing mode and picture in general of the sony 930 would be any better than this. I'm looking to upgrade.

cheers

Rob

15. cybersoga

cybersoga

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +25
    Sorry, i've not seen the tosh - but according to the spec the tosh doesn't do progressive PAL (576p).

16. holtehero

holtehero

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,785
    Apparently the new tosh SD530 does, though i can't see any information on the official tosh sites

Advertised on leconcepts site though, expected this week

(I am holding my sony order to see what this is like)

17. robbster

robbster

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +13
    Thanks for the reply cybersoga

I'm thinking of going out and buying one of these tomorrow in silver so just another quick question if you dont mind. Your plasma screen is an alis screen right? Do you see any benefit using progressive output as I also have an alis screen?

thanks again

Rob

18. cybersoga

cybersoga

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +25
    yes, I believe my screen is alis. I can compare interlace and progressive modes. The picture is much improved in progressive mode, the picture is overall sharper (more detailed not just "enhanced"), and the chroma (colour) is no longer pixellised as you can see in these screen shots of Terminator 2's menu (taken with digital camera, ignore brightness difference).

Interlaced
    [​IMG]

Progressive
    [​IMG]

19. robbster

robbster

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +13
    cheers cybersoga

thanks for the pics, the detail deffinately looks improved :)

Another question that I've just read about is the slight ghosting you had through progressive mode. I also noticed this displaying a NTSC progressive output from my DVD player to the alis screen. Did you mange to solve this problem?

Thanks

Rob

20. cybersoga

cybersoga

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +25
    Kinda. The ghosting was (is) being caused by my screen, it was the same with the Denon 2900, and various component cables that i've tried. I've got round the problem by using the "SOFT" mode on the dvd player and adjusting the sharpness on the screen.

21. robbster

robbster

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +13
    sounds good mate,

Well I noticed that the picture seemed softer through progressive on the tosh DVD player i got plus i have a slight bit of ghosting too (must be an alis problem). Maybe the sharpness needed adjusting up a little for the progressive output to my screen.

22. cybersoga

cybersoga

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +25
    I don't think it's an alis problem, in my case I think it's due to the anologue to digital converter in the screen or signal processing components in between. The sooner we have an all digital path from dvd player to screen the better! How well your screen displays progressive is down to your screen and it's processing circuits i'm afraid, you can't really generalise just because it's alis. Who knows, in your case the Tosh might have poor progressive output compared with the Sony, and might actually be causing the ghosting. I suspect that turning up the sharpness will make the ghosting worse. One things for sure, you have to recalibrate your display for progressive.

23. robbster

robbster

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +13
    Well im gonna go down to my local av dealer tomorrow who has them in and purchase one. Fingers crossed everything will be ok to my hitachi.

24. RickB

RickB

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    robbster - did you get the Sony NS930 ?

I've ordered an Hitachi 42PD3000 screen and im thinking of buying the 930 to replace my old Sony NS700 so wouldn't mind knowing if you think its worth doing.

Cheers

RickB

25. robbster

robbster

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +13
    Hi rickb

In the end I went for the denon 2900. I was on the verge of buying the sony and the shop i was getting it from messed me around, first saying they had them in stock and then when i got down there lied to me and claimed they never said they had them in stock. Well as you can guess I walked out.

Anyhow I checked out the denon in a different shop on a hitachi screen like ours and was quite impressed. So i'll let you know how I get on with it and how the hitachi's cope with PAL/NTSC progressive.

Rob

26. RickB

RickB

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    robbster,

Thanks for that - if you could let me know I would be grateful - just want to know if the upgrade to a PAL / NTSC progressive player is worth it - only problem I have is that I would like SACD support too.

Cheers

RickB

27. robbster

robbster

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +13
    Well i've been up messing with the player all night now and to be honest I dont think PAL/NTSC progressive is worth it on our hitachi screens. This is the 3rd player I have tried (tosh 510e, pioneer 737, denon 2900) and the only difference i see is the picture is slightly softer through prog scan. The denon has the better picture quality over the other 2 i have tried but then i should do at the price. If your after a sacd player then i guess you couldnt go wrong with the sony 930, just dont expect big things from the prog scan on the hitachi plasma.

Hope this helps RickB

Rob