1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Sony DVP-NS930 Picture Performance review

Discussion in 'Blu-ray & DVD Players & Recorders' started by cybersoga, Jul 25, 2003.

1. cybersoga

cybersoga

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +25
    OK, here's my comments on picture quality that I promised i'd post. I have setup this player on my Sony KE32TS2E Plasma screen with Avia Video Essensials (NTSC), Terminator 2 Extream THX Optimode (NTSC), and Star Wars Episode 2 THX Optimode (PAL). I am using Groundy's Scorpion Component Cable set - top notch 75ohm coax with genuine 75ohm plugs, definately reccomended. The first thing to note with this player is that the defaults are far from perfect, but they do provide the options to be able to tune it yourself.

1. AVIA Contrast test - I had to set "PICTURE -2" to be able to see the contrast bars (to show details in the upper white), this was the same on the 905 - it appears that the default level is too high and results in clipping of the upper whites no matter where the contrast was set on the display. I had the same results with THX optimode PAL and NTSC. Aparently it's the same on the 999ES according to Secrets of Home Theater and HiFi http://www.hometheaterhifi.com/cgi-bin/shootout.cgi?function=search&articles=5#SonyDVP-NS999ES

2. AVIA Brightness test - I left it set at 0 which seemed to match the level from other sources, the lighter brightness bar was visible but the darker one was not, which is good. Same results with the THX Optimode test PAL and NTSC, I could just see the darkest box and THX logo. If I turn the brightness up on the display, I can see the darker moving bar on Avia and the drop shadow on the THX logo which the 905 couldn't do.

3. AVIA Sharpness test - initially I was getting quite noticable ringing and enhancement of the upper frequencies even with the Screen sharpness at minimum, and this was also visible in the upper frequencies on the Wide Screen Resolution Test, and THX Optimode. Fortunately this was solved by setting the DVD player's DVE setting to SOFT, which stopped the ringing and made the upper frequencies much nicer to look at without being too soft - I could still see the lines at 6.25mhz. This results in a much more film like picture without the distracting "edge enhancement".

4. AVIA Blue Bars test - HUE was set exactly correct by default, no need to adjust it. COLOR (Colour) needed to be reduced to -2. This was the same with THX Optimode PAL and NTSC using the blue filter that came with Avia.

5. Deinterlacing performance - Very good with film sourced DVDs, it correctly uses 2:2 pull down for PAL films and 3:2 pull down for NTSC films. This results in an extreamly detailed picture that extracts the full resolution that DVD is capable of. This was confirmed with the resolution tests on AVIA and THX Optimode. It was noticably better in progressive mode than interlaced - motion was smoother and there is much more detail. It is expecially noticable with well mastered DVD's such as Star Wars Episode 2 and Terminator 2 Extream Edition. Scenes in Who Framed Roger Rabbit (R1) that show window blinds from a distance for example look a lot better and don't suffer from moir (distracting patterning) like it does when set to interlace, you can also see the improvements with stipey shirts etc.

The colour resolution is much improved in progressive compared with interlace due to the use of a digital chroma filter, no more pixellised colours, much better with films that have a lot of saturated colour (animated films such as Monsters Inc look stunning). Even the red WARNING text at the start of DVD's looked a lot better, and the red text in the Terminator 2 dvd menus.

The only let down is that it doesn't cope well with PAL video sourced material - there was noticable combing artifact with Red Dwarf, but not all the time - as if it couldn't decide if it was video sourced or not. I havn't got many video sourced DVDs so it's not a major issue for me. It's useful to know I can manually set it to VIDEO mode deinterlacing if I want.

2. cybersoga

cybersoga

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +25
    I think I actually prefer DVE set to OFF rather than SOFT, even though it shows a slight bit of ringing in the Avia Sharpness test... I think it's the scaler in my screen that's doing the edge enhancement.

3. tazpc

tazpc

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4
    That was very informative.
    Top of my current short list .
    Hopefully get one in the next few weeks.

On question can you switch between I/P on the remote without having to alter the switch on the back?

Thanks Tariq

4. cybersoga

cybersoga

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +25
    There isn't a switch on the back, it can only be done by stopping the DVD and entering the setup menu i'm afraid. You can set the component output to OFF, INTERLACE or PROGRESSIVE. It disables RGB output via scart when componenent output is on, but it still outputs composite and s-video at the same time. There is a sub option when PROGRESSIVE is selected - AUTO and VIDEO, there's no FILM option although AUTO seems to select FILM by default and drop down to VIDEO if it thinks it needs to, which i've never noticed it doing while watching a film.

5. tazpc

tazpc

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4
    I looked at the 930 in the sony center in Milton Keynes
    and on the back their was a switch between I/P/Selectable???

Tariq (Mystifiied)

6. cybersoga

cybersoga

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +25
    *looks round the back* oh yea, I must be blind!!!! good job it was set to selectable.

7. tazpc

tazpc

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4
    Thanks I'm not going mad.