Sony DVP NS930 - Opinions Please !

Discussion in 'Blu-ray & DVD Players & Recorders' started by Ian182, Oct 12, 2004.

1. Ian182

Ian182

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +99
    Guys,

Thinking of parting with my Pioneer DV565, 'cos I'm fed up with the NTSC horizontal banding problems........ :thumbsdow
    From reading a few reviews, the 930 looks good - I know I'd lose DVD-A, but as I've never actually got round to buying any of the things, its not a big loss !

What do people think of it ?
    Good picture quality ? and any good for normal CDs ?

And - most importantly - is anyone using one on a Panasonic CRT TV, who can confirm that this make of player DOES NOT suffer from banding problems on RGB ?

Or has anyone else got any recommendations for a replacement for the 565 ?

Thanks.......

Ian.

2. ihan

ihan

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +25
    Hi

I used to own a 930 and used it via RGB to my panny TX32PK2 - no NTSC banding. I used to own a 565 and saw the same problems as you; richer sounds exchanged it.

The picture quality from the 930 is very good; as good as the 565, plus the fact it is also good through component progressive scan (if your display supports it).

The only problem I had with the 930, is it picky with some -/+R disks, particularly Ritek G04 -R; it would occasionaly block up. However it was fine with 4x Bulkpaq printable -R! I also found it was more succeptable to blocking with NTSC -R discs; I don't know why. PAL disks on Fuji 8x -R played perfectly, NTSC burned on the same media occasionaly blocked up!

To summarise, if you only have original discs, then the 930 is a good player. If you have a lot of -/+Rs, then expect occasional blocking up - the sony 930 doesn't have the most compatible laser unit.

Hope this helps,
    ihan

3. Ian182

Ian182

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +99
    Thanks for that.......
    I only have original DVDs anyway, so that wouldn't be an issue.
    Out of interest, what did Richer exchange it for ? Another Pioneer ?

Ian.

4. ihan

ihan

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +25
    My DVD life story:

RS exhanged the 565 for another pioneer, a 656, it was exactly the same. I can remember my blood pressure rising to dangerous levels when I got it home and saw the banding. I even phoned up pioneer who denied there was an issue with either the 565 or the 656!

Richer Sounds then exchanged the 656 for a Sony 905, which was a fantastic player (which I still own as a reserve) but has no component/progressive scan. I then bought a 930 which had problems with certain -/+R disks, which I traded in against an Arcam DV79.

Regards,
    ihan