1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Sony DVP-NS930 and Sony Center Poole today

Discussion in 'Blu-ray & DVD Players & Recorders' started by cybersoga, Jul 10, 2003.

1. cybersoga

cybersoga

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +25
    I was fixing some laptops for somone in Poole today so I thought i'd check out their Sony Center - to my surprise, they had the 930 on display and in stock. When I started looking at the display model, I was approached by a young sales assistant, and I asked him if he could hook it up to the Plasma screen with component cables so I could see what the picture was like. He said no problem and started unplugging the DVD player, then another, older sales assistant came over and said "no we can't hook it up to the plasma, but you can look at it if I plug it into the TV above it" I think he must be the shop manager or something, he came accross as having a bit of an attitude. The younger sales assistant stood to one side. I said "why can't you hook it up with component to the plasma, havn't you got the cables or something?" and he blanked me. Anyway, he hooked it up via scart to the 14" portable TV, and inserted a copy of "vertical limit". The first thing I noticed was that the picture had composite video artifacts and a ghost image moving accross the screen. I said "have you got the remote", he mumbled something about it being in a sealed box but went out the back and retrieved the remote. I tried setting the DVD player to RGB mode, but the RGB option was not selectable. I said it was hard to judge this dvd player on such a small screen and with composite video. A third sales assisitant then came over and unplugged the scart cable from the 14" portable and plugged it into the 28" 100HZ TV which was next to it. I said it still looked like composite video - the guy then went through the setup on the dvd player and it turned out that you have to disable component output to be able to enable RGB output. So I was now looking at it's RGB output on a 28" 100HZ TV. I first tried virtical limit - the sharpness and contrast on the TV were turned up way to high but I ignored this for now - I was looking for signs of the chroma bug. I couldn't see anything obvious, so I asked the younger assisitant if he had any animated films, he went and got Toy Story, which I tried. No signs of the chroma bug with Toy Story, but it was hard to see what with the TV being setup so bad. I then asked the young assistant about the price, he said £299. I said "can you do it multiregion for that price" and he said no, we can't - I said "why, you don't have the service remote", the guy replied "no we havn't got it, it costs over £600". At this point, the manager came over and started giving me a lecture, he said "it's illegal" to make them multiregion in a threatening voice, blah blah invalidates your warrenty, blah blah - I said "whatever" and then I walked out the shop.

2. midlander

midlander

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +6
    :rotfl:

I'm amazed anyone buys stuff at Sony Centres, what with their attitude and extortionate prices.

It's like the Fat Bloke© in Sevenoaks W'ton who basically told me I was wrong about every thing I said about plasmas and projectors. Even if I was wrong, which I wasn't :) , he could have been more diplomatic. Consequently, I went down the road and got an internet price match on a Pioneer MXE from Superfi.

3. GPMCDERM

GPMCDERM
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    The Sony shop in Liffey Valley,Dublin are looking for 1300euro
    for the Sony DVD recorder!!! can get it shipped over for
    under 900euro...(even at 400 cheaper its still too much)

4. Dutch

Dutch

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +257
    These folk must have come top in their charm school classes. :rolleyes: How do they ever sell anything with an attitude like that? :confused:

Steve

5. mjn

mjn
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4,518
    Sony Centres in Ireland are a joke, they charge about 20% more than their shops in the UK!!

Even when they have items in the sale, they're still usually cheaper when brought from UK, with shipping or a ryanair flight included!