Sony DVP-NS92V any opinions

mossmanfly

Established Member
Reaction score
Looking at getting one of these, as I bought a Pioneer DV-585 and after having problems with it (See other thread) I will be trying to get a refund for it.

Just wondering if anyone had any opinions on it at all? Does -R discs work well, can it be made multi regionally? What about Xvid play back? Any problems etc. Want to go get one from a Shop and not bothing with the Internet sites as the Pioneer player is causing me hassle so I want somewhere to go if things go wrong with it. I believe that Sony Centres make the players multiregionally at a cost is this still true?
Any advise would be great.

Hi

I got this player on the weekend and so far I am impressed. Outputting at 720p over HDMI to my Samsung LCD the pictures are really good. It work s fine with the two DVD-R discs i tried (mirror platinum place) Havent had a chance to try a Divx or Xvid file but i remember on one of my earlier player a dvpns52 this had problems playing certain divx files. Ill try it out and let you know.

Rajibear

Cheers Rajibear. Would be great if you could try out some DivX and Xvid files to see how it performs, as I am looking at going to the Sony shop on Wednesday to pick one up. Might plump for the NS52 depending on prices and features.

Dont really need HDMI as I havent got a TV that supports it and where I work we do a 37" LCD on staff purchase for £1000 and that doesnt have HDMI. But I suppose its future proofing the player more with having HDMI as I may plump for a well know LCD that supports HDMI, or wait until we do one at work which I can get cheaper.

Does the Upscaling to 720p need to be over HDMI or can it be done over component? As the LCD I want to get does have component and DVI and does HD 720p/1080i.

Cheers

This is definatly one of the players i am looking at, any particular reason you choose this one as I am leaning towards the Denon 1920 as it has had a lot of good reviews but the sony does have a/v sync which could be useful and is cheaper.

I don't suppose anyone has compared the picture quality of these machines or knows any shopd in london which have both in stock.

Cheers

Many chose it cause I do like Sony stuff. I am sending my Pioneer DV-585 back as its the 2nd player I have had that has eaten discs(lucky they were just -R discs and not any of my retails). As its been an internet purchase its cost £38 in sending the items back, should get this refunded now though.

So Sony have the centres in which you can get the item have it made multi regional and any problems you can go back to the shop. You may pay more but I have spent 2 weeks with sending back players and waiting for new ones to arrive, normally I am pretty much internet only shopper but in this case I will go to a shop on the safe side.

To be honest I really only would want to spend £100 on a player but now thinking about HDMI and future proofing for LCDs etc I may go higher. As I am in the market for a HD LCD, possibly 37" having the best quality player will certainly be an advantage.

The Denon 1920 I have read a few problems on here such as lip syncing or something similar, as I havent really considered the player I havent read much into it, but may do so just to see whether its worth the extra money, but it all depends on whether I can get one multi region and from a high street store.

mossmanfly said:
I believe that Sony Centres make the players multiregionally at a cost is this still true?
Any advise would be great.

I was quoted £30 by my local sony centre to make it multi-region, the guy in the store said that one of their engineers did it, so don't know how long it would take.

£30 isnt too bad I suppose. May see if I can neogiate a price from one salesman to another :D Will call my local Sony centre before going anyway as its about 15 miles away.

rjs316 said:
I was quoted £30 by my local sony centre to make it multi-region, the guy in the store said that one of their engineers did it, so don't know how long it would take.

it takes about 2 min.its done by a remote :thumbsup:

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom