Sony DVP-NS9100ES Firmware?

Discussion in 'Blu-ray & DVD Players & Recorders' started by pauls898, Feb 8, 2009.

1. pauls898

pauls898

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +7
    I have a Sony DVP-NS9100ES DVD /SACD up-scaling player, which cost me a grand about a year/two years ago and is a great player for up-scaling normal DVD's.

However after upgrading my main TV to a Panasonic TH50PZ800 which is now HDMI 1.3 spec this player will no longer work with this Television :mad:

Searching the net I find over in the USA Sony are offering a free CD or download file to correct this problem as the player at present will be HDMI 1.1.

However it states that this update should only be used on players purchased in USA or Canada? I assume if I use this update then I expect the machine will only play R1 disc's

2. pauls898

pauls898

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +7
    Just as an update - After phoning Sony UK, they asked me to try the player on different HDMI inputs, as my New Tele has 4, but still no joy :(

I didn't think it would make any difference to be honist.

I am still wonderring if I should just go ahead and use that USA Firmware update I downloaded? What harm can it do?? Your views please.... :lease:

3. Nic Rhodes

Nic Rhodes

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,276
    Don't go down the route. whether the player is 1.1 or 1.3 is immaterial, what would appear to be the problem is just a HDMI compatibility issue which will be down to either / or / both Panasonic and Sony to fix. Don't assume it is just a Sony issue. Trying a different HDMI socket is a good idea.

Have you connected the player direct or are you going through the receiver?

Last edited: Feb 11, 2009
  4. pauls898

pauls898

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +7
    Cheers Nic for that.

This is the problem I think, I'm just trying to find a solution for my UK purchased machine?

When connected to certain DVD players or A/V receivers via HDMI input, a limited number of televisions that support the new xvYCC color feature (x.v.Color™), may show no video and/or play no audio. This may occur with televisions manufactured by Sony or by other manufacturers.

This issue occurs only when using an affected DVD player or A/V receiver as the source device for the programming being viewed on the television. Audio and video viewed from other sources, or via connections other than HDMI, are unaffected by this issue.

This is an HDMI error found within the DVD players and A/V receivers and is not a problem with the television’s HDMI connection.

The following Sony DVD players may be affected by this issue:

DVP-CX995V
    DVP-NS3100ES
    DVP-NS9100ES :mad:

How to Determine if Your DVD Player or A/V Receiver is Affected.

Connect the DVD player or A/V receiver to the HDMI input of a Sony television featuring x.v.Color and attempt to view programming from the DVD player or A/V receiver. The resulting symptom will be no video and/or no audio. However, if you connect the same source device to the television via component video and appropriate audio connections, then both picture and sound will be normal. Furthermore, if you connect the source device via HDMI to a television that is based off of an earlier HDMI specification, audio and video should be present.

Any thought ????? :lease:

5. Nic Rhodes

Nic Rhodes

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,276
    either get an update from Sony or use component (this is always a good way). I have afeeling you will be pushed down the latter!

6. pauls898

pauls898

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +7
    Hi, No I tried the machine to use the Component, I had thought of that one, but, I can't seem to get anything other than 576P from there:mad:

I can't seem to get 1080i or 720P from the component out sockets, so if I use its standard def output, I will loose out on its' up-scaling qualities :confused:

So I'm a little annoued I got this £900 machine which now I can't use, for what it was purchased for!!! But whats a little confussing is that, Ive seen people selling this model on ebay, stating they have upgraded the firmware? So where they getting it from? if Sony UK don't have any??????

7. Nic Rhodes

Nic Rhodes

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,276
    576p is what you should get. It doesn't matter though, all it means is that you panel is upscaling rather than the player (tbh very little if any difference at this level). Many of the more knowledgeable posters here will actually preferentially to use 576. You just need to scale once so the best for your 1080p panel are 576p output or 1080p on DVD. 1080i I alway find a mess with it's deinterlace, re interlacing garbage processing and 720p needs two scaling operations with is another no no to be avoided if possible.

Push Sony though, if there is a firmware update you should be able to get it out of them, with a BIG push....:)

8. pauls898

pauls898

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +7
    One of the main reasons for me spending over £800 on this Sony DVD Player was for its Up-Scaling properties, its makes a wonderful job at up-scaling from a standard DVD to 1080i, a lot better than the panel and its was leaps and bounds better than using my Panasonic BD30 BluRay player which is rubbish at up-scaling standard DVD's to 1080P

This machine, has some fancy computer hardware/software which actually calculates the correct colour/position for pixels in the extra lines it generates on the fly, to produce a near BluRay experience, but not quite, so using it's basic 576P output to me is wasting my time, I might as well use a standard DVD player and view it though a Scart in that case which gives me the same results lol.

Its a real shame Sony UK have let me down on this one, as in the US they have gone to the trouble to correct this issue by supplying a firmware update.

Question?

When using an HDMI connection, does NSTC and PAL come into the equation here? I'm not really sure, because I am tempted to run this American firmware on the player, then if it makes it R1 only then all I have to do is surely apply a hack to make it multi region again? just a thought?

Last edited: Feb 12, 2009
  9. hubbs423

hubbs423

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
  10. pauls898

pauls898

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +7
    Yes Thanks, I have already found and downloaded that thanks, but I'm not sure whether its safe to apply it to a UK purchase machine, as there's a note saying not for use with machine puchased outside Canada/US ????

11. Nic Rhodes

Nic Rhodes

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,276
    I wouldn't use any player at 1080i from SD DVD. Use DVD player at 576p and native panel resolution for best results.

Not the Panny 30s forte ;)

Upscaling however is 567p to 1080p and the Panny display is pretty decent at this. The 30s performance is weak at (MPEG2 decoding) and deinterlacing. The former is difficult to judge becasue of the mess of the latter however but that is why the 30 looks rubbish!

Never found these any good tbh, far better to get the basics of MPEG2 decoder, engineering quality and deinterlacing correct. This is what dominates picture performance. Scaling is well down the importance list with many displays now doing the 'oversampling' if you want it. Bottom line remains that DVD and Blu ray are both just 8 bit colour systems. Best scaling algorithms I have seen recently are Lumagen top, DVDO is a bit back from that. Outside of that there are all a bit similar though one or two of the new chips show good promise also but I have not really evaluated them fully yet.

if you feel the product is not fit for the purpose you bought it for, and it cetainly sounds you have an EXCELLENT case, you should be able to return it. These incompatibilities should never be happening nowdays on DVD players.

NTSC and PAL are strictly terms just in the SD analogue world. However re performance of HDMI players then they are very relevant to 2:2 and 3:2 pull down etc and at the 50hz and 60hz bit. In the UK we generally have players that can do both (we are PAL / 50Hz and Jpn is NTSC / 60Hz but both are region 2). In the USA it is common for player to have no PAL capability what so ever even forgetting the region thing. Not sure about this Sony in particular but if you take your Pany 30 as an example it is NTSC only in the US and NTSC and PAL in the UK.

I would still hassle Sony.

Last edited: Feb 12, 2009
  12. pauls898

pauls898

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +7
    Well as an update.... I got my local Sony Service Centre to finally track down the Firmware Update, (Which Sony UK themselves told me Didn't exist :mad:)

The machine now works happily with my Panasonic TH50PZ800, giving a cracking up-scaled images, I would say not far off BluRay quality, well as good as Sky HD?

My only problem now is, since the Firmware upgrade, the machine has been reset to Region 2 Only :mad: as it was Multi Region before the update :mad:

Has anybody got the instruction to reset it to Multi Region, WITHOUT altering the HDMI 1.3 code which has now been updated. ?????

I think its some code you run on a palm pilot?? :lease:

13. KDP529

KDP529
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi, I am not sure wether you still will pick this up :
    It seems I might have the same problem as you
    - I just bought a SANYO PLV-Z3000 Beamer with 2 HDMI input and wanted to use it with my SONY DVP-NS9100ES - using HDMI.
    - Used two different HDMI cables on both HDMI inputs - but beamer receives nothing (not even startup image of NS9100ES or setup menu gets through) and HDCP indicator on DVP stays dark. No problem with alternative connections.
    - was firmware update used to finally solve your problem the same as offered for the US/Canada units ? With other words : can I do the upgrade myself using that download ?
    (bought NS9100ES in Switzerland =Region 2)

14. KDP529

KDP529
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Well I just couldn't wait :
    I downloaded this Firmware update
    Sony eSupport - Electronics - Software Updates & Drivers
    and installed it myself according to the instructions on my DVP-ES9100ES :
    And the HDMI problem is solved : my SANYO Beamer has the picture, so problem was indeed bad x.v. color handling of the SONY unit. Note : This Firmware upgrade does not affect DVD region code , mine is still 2.
    So all is well now :thumbsup: ... until something else appears