Sony DVP-NS900V or DVP-NS905V?

nwgarratt

I have the 900 and use it for music as well as DVD.

I read somewhere thatthe 900 is better with music than the 905. But, the 905 is a bit better for DVD's.

MartinCo

Standard Member
Originally posted by nwgarratt
I read somewhere thatthe 900 is better with music than the 905. But, the 905 is a bit better for DVD's.

surely the 905 is just the newer version of the 900?

unless Sony have downgraded the DACs in some way, there is no reason that the 900 should be better than the 905.

certainly the video circuitry is better. the NSV 12bit 108mhz dac does give very clean video with no artifacting.

the 905 also plays MP3s... will try this in the next few hours to see what the "new visual MP3 interface" is like, mentioned in the specs.

paulr

Today i saw the Sony centre in Nottingham has the 900 reduced to 379 quid...........if anyones interested.

I got the sony 900 multi region for £330 about 5 months ago its a great player and picture and sound is superb too.

RS2

Standard Member
MartinCo, any comments on your DVP-NS905?

/RS2

dvpns905v.jpeg

MartinCo

Standard Member
haven't too many discs yet, a couple of films plus 5-10 test scenes.

the picture is excellent... very clean.. a lot of clarity. really does show the difference between my old pioneer 717's picture.

compared to the 2800 it replaced... certainly via RGB/ Scart, the picture is wonderful.. much improved.

if only the player had component out... about the only thing I could fault it on.

the mp3 onscreen interface is also very well though out... makes the denon one look prehistoric. you can set an mp3 playing and flick around the rest of the CD to see what is on. also displays a longer filename.. not sure of the max.

haven't got any SACD's to try so not able to test that (yet).

the audio quality from CDs does seem respectable though.

nwgarratt

the mp3 onscreen interface is also very well though out... makes the denon one look prehistoric. you can set an mp3 playing and flick around the rest of the CD to see what is on. also displays a longer filename.. not sure of the max.

It looks like someone has finally done MP3 playback properly. My Encore 450 plays MP3's and they sound good but all that can be shown on the screen is the dos 8 character filename.

MartinCo

Standard Member
yes, the denon 2800 was the same.
not exactly sure what the max length was, but looked more like 20+characters, certainly more than an 8.3 filename.

since the player cached the directory structure of the CDRW, you can browse the disc whilst playing which I thought was a nice feature.

the denon 2800 only worked with the first session of a CDRW, the sony with multiple sessions according to the manual which is another plus.

all in all, for audio CDs, MP3s and general video quality, the Sony 905 looks pretty good to me.

the lack of component out is the only flaw really.

RS2

Standard Member
Thanx for the info MartinCo! I have ordered one today but I have to wait a couple of weeks before I get it. /RS2

guyb

I don't suppose any of you guys have got pictures of the MP3 Interface (GUI) or any other parts of the interface (GUI) such as setup menus etc as I am thinking of getting one and won't mind a sneak preview.

Thanks

S

Steve_e42

Im a bit confused guy, your list shows that you have a 905, or am I reading this wrong?:confused:

guyb

I bought the 905 about a week ago and love it. I just wanted to say thanks to RS2 for his post though.

RS2

Standard Member
I got my new Sony DVP-NS905 DVD-player yesterday and I have to say the movie quality is just superb! Very easy and logical to set up. So I can really recommend this DVD-player!

The DVD-player plays music CDs very nice as well (at least with my old stereo amplifier).

But I'm struggling with my Sony STR-DB1080 receiver to get a decent sound from music CDs (though movie sound is very good).

Any tips how to set up the receiver for the best music sound?

/RS2

nwgarratt

Using my 930 amp and my NS900 player I use the 5.1 output from the player to the amp for both CD and SACD (obviously).

The analogue output is superb or as an alternative use a digital out to the amp for both CD and DVD playback.

The latest video from AVForums

Oculus Quest 2 VR headset + Rotel A14 MkII Amp Reviews & Best of the Month
Subscribe to our YouTube channel

Latest News

Samsung QD-OLED TVs primed for 2022 launch?
  • By Andy Bassett
  • Published
Sky to add NBCUniversal's Peacock service
  • By Andy Bassett
  • Published
Bang & Olufsen announces Beoplay EQ TWS earphones
  • By Andy Bassett
  • Published
AVForums Podcast: 28th July 2021
  • By Phil Hinton
  • Published
Sky drops Sky One brand and introduces Showcase and Max