Sony DVP-NS900 - still being sold?

Discussion in 'Blu-ray & DVD Players & Recorders' started by dave48, Mar 9, 2002.

1. dave48

dave48
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    I ordered a Sony DVP-NS900 (in black) a couple of weeks ago - before I read on the forum about the problems it has been having. Are they still being sold? On the Sony UK website there is no trace of the player any more - as though it never existed. On the Sony Germany website it is there - although when I checked it about 4 days ago it had "disappeared".

I've thought hard about cancelling my order and getting something else - but it still seems the best match for what I want.

The question is - will I ever get the player? Or is this a UK-only problem (I ordered the player in Germany).

Dave48

2. Tomas L

Tomas L

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +11
    This is not a UK-only problem. The NS900 has disappeared from the US, UK and Swedish Sony sites. I have even asked Sony Sweden "was' up?" and they answered that they had "problems with the homepage". Funny that it has made only the NS900 disappear on all sites except sony-europe.com. A replacement for the NS900 could be on the way, but Sony Sweden said it wouldn't be replaced before the summer. Go figure...

3. dave48

dave48
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    Putting two and two together it sounds like I may never get my NS900 - what a pain, I was interested in it both as a DVD and as an SACD player.

Maybe I had better bite the bullet and get something else. Have alternatives to the NS900 already been discussed at length in a different thread?

Any ideas? My top priority is a very good quality picture and decent sound (but it won't be replacing my CD player). I suppose I can live without SACD for now - but I'm reluctant to get a very expensive machine just now in case in 12 months I need to buy a DVD-A / SACD or whatever machine .... The only thing I must have is 2 SCARTs - I will have to run the video through the DVD player since one of the two SCART sockets on my Philips television seems to be dead.

Dave48

4. Imran_UK

Imran_UK

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +25
    You can still buy them from www.superfi.co.uk thats where I got mine from and the service was excellent, price was £409, trust me get it in silver.

5. Imran_UK

Imran_UK

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +25
    Forgot to say it is also multi region and also plays rce disc

6. paiger

paiger

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Saw one in Currys yesterday I think, wasn't looking that closely though so could have been mistaken.

S

7. Tomas L

Tomas L

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +11
    It seems like Sony is upgrading all their players to MP3 capability. (Not a modelnumber too late!)

Three new models, 305, 405 and 615 have been (or will soon be) released. I guess that the NS900 will be replaced within 4-6 months. Perhaps even sooner considering all the problems they have had with the present model.

Check this out: (In German, use Babelfish to translate)
    http://www.area-dvd.de/news/2002/200203/0803200201.shtml

8. brunobastille

brunobastille

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I guess that the NS900 will be little by little removed from the market by Sony, as they don't seem to have the will to fix properly its switching bug on 4:3 DVD's.

In france, Sony told me that their new range of DVD/SACD players would be available not before next october/november....